Author Topic: How to choose?  (Read 4943 times)

Offline mi77915

How to choose?
« on: June 02, 2009, 06:18:46 PM »
I am in the market for a weather radio. I have never owned one before, but I think it is a good time to get one. I have heard many great things about owning one, early storm warning...... I have just begun to do some research on these types of radios. There seem to be many different types and brands. Midland seems to be talked about a lot here, as well as reecom. I also have notice that some have SAME technology and others so not.
I am trying to decide which type of radio (and technology) to buy, my problem is, that I do not know very much about them. How can I determine which one is good for me? Are there any good articles that describe the different types and there advantages/disadvantages?

Thank you,

Tom

Offline lddaly

• Forecaster
Re: How to choose?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 08:34:17 PM »
Here's a page with some info to get you started... http://www.ambientweather.com/werapugu.html

I have owned several and highly recommend the Midland WR-300.

Offline JOE

• Forecaster
    • Centralia IL Weather
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 09:28:00 PM »
I'll second the Midland WR-300 also.

My only gripe is that is doesn't shut up soon enough.  I wanted one that would just announce the warning and then shut off.  Seems the 300 doesn't do that.  It just goes for 5 minutes before silencing itself.

Other than that, it does a good job.  I'm fairly close to a station so reception is not a problem for me.

I would make sure whatever you get has the S.A.M.E. feature so you can set only the Counties you are interested in.
Joe
www.centraliaweather.com
DW1376
KILCENTR2
K9RJN

Offline Wx4U

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 09:51:22 PM »
The Midland WR-100 works good and is about $20.00 less than the WR-300.
See: http://www.midlandweatherradios.com/

I have used mine while driving the tarnado alley from Texas to Nebraska. All applicable warning were received.
Bob
Retired USAF Air Traffic Controller, Davis VP2 Wireless, WLS 5.8.2, LaCrosse 2308, Logitech Pro 9000 (Roof mounted on rotor), CoCoRaSh gauge, KTXARLIN35, Compaq Presario W/Vista

Offline mi77915

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 05:43:42 AM »
Thanks for all the great info!!! =D>    
From what I have read so far, I think I will go with the Midland WR-100B radio. For the price, I really can't see any difference between the WR-100B and the WR-300, except for appearance and price. It looks like its functionality and features are the same, but the WR-100B is about $20 less.

Thanks again,  

Tom
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 06:03:21 AM by mi77915 »

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 06:41:57 AM »
Tom,
I think this option that the 100 does not have is worth the 20 bucks

Defeat Siren Alert Option

Page 27 of manual on midland site
http://www.midlandradio.com/Resource_/OwnerManual/102/WR-300.pdf

This feature lets you adjust how your are warned for different types of alerts.  For example I have pretty much everything silenced aside from Tstorm warning, and Tornado.  For example...Unless you are a farmer (that does not turn on radio / tv / or check the internet for weather), do you really need a siren going off to tell you there is a frost warning....?

Add or Remove Alerts is also a good option for future use. (for other 300 owners, Midland has finally added instructions on how to use this feature to their manual)

Both good radios though...

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline lddaly

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 07:37:46 AM »
For example I have pretty much everything silenced aside from Tstorm warning, and Tornado.
Same here. Couple of dollars cheaper at newegg.com: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882008002

Offline mi77915

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 09:16:21 AM »
I did not know about that function with the WR-300, I guess I missed that when I did my initial comparison between the (2) models. Yes, that does seem to be a significant feature that I would definitely use!! Thanks for the link!!

Tom