Author Topic: Loking for a Soil or Pool Sensor for the OS WMR968  (Read 5334 times)

Offline sam2004gp

• Mount Crawford, Virginia
  • Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
    • Mount Crawford Weather, VA
Loking for a Soil or Pool Sensor for the OS WMR968
« on: October 06, 2008, 09:10:29 PM »
Can anyone tell me if the Oregon Scientific THC268 Wireless Waterproof Temperature Sensor http://www.ambientweather.com/orscthwiwate.html will work on the OS-WMR968?  The sensor compatibility chart does not show it on Page 1 of the chart but, on page 2 the sensor is "protocol compatible" and has 3 channel selectivity as does my "Extra" Radio Shack sensors.  So I am confused what is what.
SAM --->>> http://www.mountcrawfordweather.org
OS WMR-968 with a Dedicated PWS Weather Computer running VWS v13.01 p09

Offline Carson Weather

• Contributor
    • http://www.carsonweather.com
Re: Loking for a Soil or Pool Sensor for the OS WMR968
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 10:40:59 PM »
I used the thc-268.

The below sensors are said to be compatible:

thgr-268
The transmitter can be placed anywhere that temperature and humidity monitoring
is necessary... garden, garage, baby's room, wine cellar, freezer, attic, greenhouse...
up to 120 feet  (less through walls etc.) away.
Oregon Scientific Wireless indoor/outdoor monitors allow an additional three sensors.

thc-268
Oregon Scientific THC-268 Cable-Free Thermo Sensor with LCD Display and
waterproof probe.  Monitor the pool, hot tub, pond, lake, heater or A/C Duct,
water pipes, and soil temperature remotely! Add up to three remote sensors.

thwr288a
One of a kind floating thermometer for the pool, hot tub, boat, lake,
or anywhere you want to know the temperature of the water.

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 07:57:36 AM »
It is compatible.  I had one for a few hours.   Note:  It is weather resistant, not waterproof as I learned when the "creepy crawler" in the pool took it to the bottom of the deep end....  did not work too well after that.

Andrew

Can anyone tell me if the Oregon Scientific THC268 Wireless Waterproof Temperature Sensor http://www.ambientweather.com/orscthwiwate.html will work on the OS-WMR968?  The sensor compatibility chart does not show it on Page 1 of the chart but, on page 2 the sensor is "protocol compatible" and has 3 channel selectivity as does my "Extra" Radio Shack sensors.  So I am confused what is what.

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline tomwxman

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 12:00:32 PM »
Note:  It is weather resistant, not waterproof as I learned when the "creepy crawler" in the pool took it to the bottom of the deep end....  did not work too well after that.
I have (had) a pool sensor too. Worked for a couple months then leaked. Damn.

I might get another one though cuz it's very cool, but the 2nd time around I would take it apart and put it back together such that I could assure it's waterproofed properly. One idea would be to wrap the seam with silicon (waterproofing) tape for example.

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 12:19:29 PM »
Ah yes, the floating one (thwr288a). I dont know if they still sell it.... I decided against that model because I bot it for my father and my father in-law years ago.   One lasted one season, the other 1.2 seasons.  That is a total piece of junk.  Very cool, but even though it should be 100% waterproof it was not.

In fairness to the THC268 (the one with the probe.) if I had secured it to the ladder, and gotten rid of the slack it would have worked perfectly.  But I plunked the probe in the water and got distracted by something else.  Definitely user error.

Andrew

I have (had) a pool sensor too. Worked for a couple months then leaked. Damn.

I might get another one though cuz it's very cool, but the 2nd time around I would take it apart and put it back together such that I could assure it's waterproofed properly. One idea would be to wrap the seam with silicon (waterproofing) tape for example.

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline tomcj2

• Forecaster
    • CanbyWeather
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 12:53:58 PM »
My first floating one lasted less than 1 hour.  I returned it immediately to an OS company owned store.  After an hour of bickering they finally replaced it.  The replacement lasted almost 1 season.  I bought a Davis temperature probe the next year.

Davis VP2 (6163), WL 5.9.0..  VWS 14.01 p25, Panasonic HM371A camera. WU & W4U KORCANBY3, CoCoRaHS OR-CC-27

Offline Carson Weather

• Contributor
    • http://www.carsonweather.com
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 04:25:23 PM »
My THC268 has been in service for ~5 years with no problems. It was used to montor hot tub temp until about a month ago, when it was pressed into service as a chest freezer checker.

The hot tub was usually 102, the freezer has been running from -10 to 0.

You guys do realize that your just 'sposed to put the wire in the water and not the whole unit, right? :razz: :razz:

Offline sam2004gp

• Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 04:40:42 PM »
Thanks for the input guys, I was going to get the sensor with the remote probe/wire combo.  The THC-268. It is more versitile that way.  I can do soil Temps, or Fish Tank temps.

Offline sam2004gp

• Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2009, 12:15:49 PM »
Finally got one, for $22.34 ain't bad.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170364754549&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching

Now should I use it as a soil temp on my webpage or on the fish tank? Decisions, Decisions.   8-[
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 12:24:51 PM by sam2004gp »

Offline port1

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2009, 03:56:43 PM »
 :-)  Fish tank...I'd say.  That's something critical...and important to monitor.

I use mine to monitor my coolant temperature in my liquid cooled PC.  Like today, when the air conditioning is turned off and windows opened, it does tell me my coolant temperature rises by 10F.  If my coolant overheats...I burn up my processor...so for me, that's critical.

Good Luck, sir!  8-)

Henry
KNYFLORA5
WMR968
VWS v14.00 p73
CoCoRaHS NY-NS-7
CWOP DW1891
SKYWARN 09-148

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2009, 07:38:03 PM »
Depends on who you want to provide the infor to. But I would say soil temp. People visiting your web site for your local area might find the soil temp info benificial. But seems like I read some where that soil temp should be provided at 2 different depths. Something like 6" & 12"+?

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline sam2004gp

• Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2009, 10:17:15 PM »
Depends on who you want to provide the infor to. But I would say soil temp. People visiting your web site for your local area might find the soil temp info benificial. But seems like I read some where that soil temp should be provided at 2 different depths. Something like 6" & 12"+?

I was wondering about the depth, I guess will bury it at 8" then.