Author Topic: DDoS  (Read 2384 times)

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
DDoS
« on: March 13, 2015, 02:06:03 PM »
Ive been wondering why some of my scripts arent working in the last couple of days.... and now I got an email:

Dear API User,

As you all are aware that we have been under constant DDOS attack on our network for last few days. We have tried everything to get our solution back but it seems the attack is not subsiding.

Therefore we request all our API users to please change your request url from http://api.worldweatheronline.com to http://api2.worldweatheronline.com

Thank you,

World Weather Online Team

I just hope this wont become commonplace for other websites... I worry DDoS attacks are one of the biggest threats for the future, especially because it is very hard to defend - there is basically no way of defending, it is not any security breach etc. and also, the ppl that are responsible for it cannot really be convicted as what they do is in theory nothing illegal...

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
Re: DDoS
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 02:34:39 PM »
I wonder who they pissed off? That means there is a malware out there that is on thousands of computers pinging the crap out this server going undetected. Probably all running Norton AV.
Randy

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 02:39:27 PM »
And you know what... the worst thing is that even the new link doesnt work and I wanted to check and the entire page weatheronline is completely down...

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 04:30:26 PM »
Now this is really getting serious... worldweatheronline has been down for the last couple of days compeltely, sometimes at least the general homepage works without the API, right now the page is down completely... they transferred to a different server, it worked for 2 hours and the attackers changed their addresses and the problem continues...

And now... another widely used API, the openweathermap is down too!!! It is up for about 30-50% of the time, at least web is working, but not the API... and they are also under DDoS... I wonder where this is going... I had openweathermap as a backup in my scripts, now none of them work, because both sites are down...

Offline night

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 05:43:42 PM »
This Page http://meteopage.com/eng/console/console.php loaded just fine for me?

Mark

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 05:57:15 PM »
Yes,  because those are data from my own station but I meant the external data from those websites for example on my homepage or forecast page.  I also looked at their FB profile where they write about it

anything