Author Topic: no longer a VWSql 'option' for VWS?  (Read 1556 times)

Offline IngemarS

• Österåsen, Fjällsjö Weather Station
no longer a VWSql 'option' for VWS?
« on: February 27, 2015, 08:13:17 AM »
Hi,

Now and then one may have a hardware or software problem, even on the tidiest computer, dedicated only as a weather station computer!

This has happend 3-4 times during the last 9 years, and I have even repalced the computer, and the new one is only a couple of years old, and they have had a steady UPS providing clean power and clean shutdown when neccesary. So, over the years I have had to buy new VWSql licenses because of either software problems or software updates (like Win7U SP1), or hardware problems. Well, I had a nice backup ready after a SSD disk failure over a week ago, and everything was ok when I did the system restore to a new SSD - except for VWSql!

It showed a pointer error at 0x00000000!

Well, Not a problem? Just deinstall and buy a new license, but I didn't do that!

I just tried to make an upgrade from MariaDB 5.5 (which has been stable for a couple of years - I needed the new features for weather data statistic functions and procedures and triggers). So, I went ahead and upgraded to MariaDB 10.0.16. And then the behaviour of VWSql changed to:
Code: [Select]
Access violation at address 004036A3 in module 'VWSql.exe'. Read of address 00000000.If letting it continue it continues with new promps about
Access violation at address 00000000 in module 'VWSql.exe'. Read of address 00000000.
A bit of history: I moved some years ago and wanted a new database name for my new place of residence. I thought I'd uninstall VWSql, buy a new license and redirect VWSql to insert new records to that database/table, but I was amazed that it kept the old settings, including the same old database/table names - I could not change any of them - I askedd for assistance from Meterologica support, but they didn't answer! Any of my own attempts to find traces in th registry and delete them was unsuccessful. - So, what did I have to do? I took the old database and moved it into another database (Export/Import) keeping the old database/table, then created another table in the old database and created a trigger  copying any new records to the new table (this included changing some data types as the 'regdate' from bigint to a datetime) (I have that one for anyone that is interested...) So, I had to do this even if I bought a new VWSql license!

Well, that's in the past...

Now a few daysback I tried to byy a new license from either Meteoroligica or Ambientweather, but none had them listed!

So, I sent emails to their sales but only got an answer from meteorologica recieved at 18:27 February 24 stating:
Thank you for your enquiry.

Unfortunately VWSql is no longer available.

Meteorologica Sales

And, no response from Ambientweather so far...

So, is there anyone else selling VWSql licenses? Or has  VWSql source code been put in the public domain, or have we been left alone hanging out with no option for MySQL/MariaDB.

If there is no viable database option for VWS you cannot do any real sofisticated statistics, and VWS is not for me any longer...

Anyone has a good idea?

/IngemarS

Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus, VWS, WXSIM

Offline Willis

Re: no longer a VWSql 'option' for VWS?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 09:27:01 PM »
Hello IngemarS,

I just saw this thread while searching Google for a place to buy VWSql. I'm in the same position as you, having recently moved my weather system to a new computer. I am still in my 30-day trial for VWSql, but it will soon expire. Have you found somewhere where you can purchase or transfer your license, or have found an alternative solution for getting your data into your MySQL/MariaDB database?

Thank you!

Offline IngemarS

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 05:46:23 AM »
Hi Willis,

No, I have not found a place to buy it, and I got a similar answer similar to the one from Meterologica from Ambient. So nowadays I use CSVed to excerpt a day of records from the dbase.csv and use a script in MySQL WorkBench to get it into MariaDB. This is a temporary solution so I have no automatic way of getting triggered procedures to produce new statistic calculations on the fly. I my case I am also moving south in a few months or half a year or so, as soon as I've sold my house, and on the new location I will move from VWS altogether since I am not happy with the longint (if I recall correctly) datetime used by VWSql to get data into MySQL/MariaDB. So the Oasen table within WeatherData database has a trigger procedure that converts the most recent record from VWSql in Oasen into a new record in my Osterasen table with data in more appropriate intrinsic MariaDB/MySQL data date types, which really makes them easier to produce better statistics from in the long run of things.

From this current location I have almost 5 million minute records and and made a few statistic methods in SciLab, but SciLab doesn't have a working 64-bit database connection to Maria/My from Windows so I will convert these procedures to Octave once I decided on what to replace VWS with, only thing is that it has to be readable from WxSim/WxSimate to produce forecasts.

In my Osterasen (moved records) I also have added more indexes improve speed and it really helps - this was neccesary to do because VWSql hade problems with my new intrinsic datatypes.

And Davis and the new fields added to VWS a decade ago are not added by VWSql, so those are additional reasons to move from VWS...VWSql combination. It starts getting to hairy...

Well, I had hoped that VWS/Ambient  would buy out the code from Meterologica and insert it into VWS itself perhaps with some conversion tools I could provide to directly make it insert My/Maria intrincic date values.

Here you have the procedure to get one days data from dbase.csv into the WeatherData database and the Oasen table. Easy to change their names and cahnge to parameterized infile on the call of the procedure.

I found an old PHP script somewhere to read dbase.csv and get data into MySQL but that code was rather badly structured and it would have been a real pain to get it into modern versions of PHP I use a PHP version a couple of years old do do some other work, and including automated translations of WxSim forecasts.

Sorry to be so pesimistic about the future of VWS, but without a great database interface it has no future in my eyes. So I am looking for something that has MariaDB (the way to go) integration and something that also is readable from WxSim.

Regards,

IngemarS

This is a
USE weatherdata;
LOAD DATA LOCAL INFILE 'C:\\vws\\data\\dbase20150717.csv'

INTO TABLE oasen
CHARACTER SET utf8
 FIELDS TERMINATED BY ','
 LINES TERMINATED BY '\n'
(RecDate, WindDir, WindSpeed, WindGust, IndoorHumidity,
 OutdoorHumidity, IndoorTemperature, OutdoorTemperature, BarometricPressure, TotalRain,
 CH1Temperature, CH1Humidity, CH2Temperature, CH2Humidity, CH3Temperature,
 CH3Humidity, Evapotranspiration, UVindex, SolarRadiation, WindChill,
 IndoorHeatIndex, OutdoorHeatIndex, DewPoint, SealevelPressure, PressureAltitude,
 CloudBase, AirDensity, VirtualTemperature, VaporPressure, WindDirRate,
 WindSpeedRate, WindGustRate, IndoorHumidityRate, OutdoorHumidityRate, IndoorTemperatureRate,
 OutdoorTemperatureRate, BarometricPressureRate, TotalRainRate, CH1TemperatureRate, CH1HumidityRate,
 CH2TemperatureRate, CH2HumidityRate, CH3TemperatureRate, CH3HumidityRate, EvapotranspirationRate,
 UVindexRate, SolarRadiationRate, WindChillRate, IndoorHeatIndexRate, OutdoorHeatIndexRate,
 DewPointRate, SeaLevelPressureRate, RainDaily, RainHourly, Last24HrRain,
 RainRate, WindRunDaily, DegDaysHeatingDaily, DegDaysCoolingDaily, MoonPhase,
 MonthlyRain, DegDaysHeatingMonthly, DegDaysCoolingMonthly, WindRunMonthly, DegDaysHeatingYearly,
 DegDaysCoolingYearly,  WindRunYearly, @disregard, @disregard, @disregard,
 @disregard, @disregard, @disregard, @disregard, @disregard,
 @disregard, @disregard, @disregard

);

Offline Willis

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 11:55:08 PM »
Thanks for the reply. VWSql was a great procrastinator to keep me from having to write my own program to monitor the CSV file and insert it into MySQL (I still use MySQL on Windows, but have switched over to MariaDB on other platforms; need to switch over to MDB on Windows too). Now it looks like I'll need to write a Python script to scan the file every couple of minutes to import the data. It probably doesn't need to happen that often, but I query the database once a minute pulling out the average temperature/humidity/etc over the last 15 minutes to go into a text overlay on a video camera.

I've got about 2 million rows of 1-minute data (been going 99.9% since my weather station was installed in 2011); with you having 5 million rows I'm guessing you installed your system in the early 2000s? I don't really know what I want to do with all of that data just yet, but one day when I do decide I will be happy to know that I was persistent in making sure I have a continuous stream of accurate data with no holes in it.

It would be wonderful if Meteorologica would open source the project. The software hasn't been updated since 2005  (amazing it works so reliably on modern operating systems). But I'm guessing that will never happen since I can't even get them to respond to an email saying the project is discontinued. Have you ever examined the Windows Registry to see how VWSql knows whether it is registered or not? I'm guessing it is in there somewhere, just need to figure out what it is. For $10 I'm happy to buy a new license any time I move the software to a new computer, but now it's almost worth seeing if it is possible to manually edit the registry to transfer my registration code over to the new machine.

Have a nice evening,
Willis

Offline IngemarS

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 09:01:53 AM »
Hi Willis,

Yes one would think Meterologica would put the code in the public domain, or give it to the developer of VWS for inclusion in VWS itself. But I have doubts about the willingness to do that from either of those parts.

VWS is quite good in some respects, one example is that it stores a lot of calculated data from the main data types - it is good from a sense of many not being able to make stored procedures - at least I have not seen a lot of procedures or triggers being shared, but I may have missed out not being active on the forum.

I moved here in 2005 and started gathering data in September/October that year. I have only about 95% of all possible records. I had a lightning striking in 2007, and the countryside electrical network goes down very often, and there may be days without power... Also there are a lot of power glitches and spikes and 'downs' and the UPS is told to shut it down. Also we really haven't had a real broadband internet, and still haven't but it is a bit more stable and a bit faster, but still there are times when I cannot get at the computer remotely, so I missed out on half of June, July, and most of August a couple of years back when I was on longer trips.

Often I miss a minute up til 3 minutes or so in sequence each day or so, but I made a procedure to find all missing sequences and the idea is to replace single lost records by moving the last forward, or when three are lost moving one backwards and and randomly moving one to the mid. I have seen this being done in other statistics, but the best practices for weather use are (or any missing values) are left out of f ex, "Statistical Methods in the Atmospheric Sciences, third edition" by Daniel S. Wilks. I thought that resolving missing values would be common practice among us weather amateurs, but apparently not - haven't found anything on any forum...

The big interest of having a lot of data is to compare between years, and in the long run detecting traces of global warming. I have started in comparing, but added methods in Scilab to f ex compare by number of days after winter and summer solstices and equinoxes. There is a change of ca 0.15 degrees C each day, and it is makes a change in the statistics. (This also eliminates what to do with February 29...)

Well, it is summer and I have my family here now and will have for weeks to come, but I will be glad to discuss these and other matters with you, but with understanding that I may not be able to answer in a few days sometimes.

/Ingemars

anything