Author Topic: Confusing Wind Sensors  (Read 624 times)

Offline mml373

Confusing Wind Sensors
« on: October 24, 2021, 03:13:22 PM »
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ] I have a Vantage Pro with a wind sensor on ISS1 and also a second wind sensor mounted elsewhere, all going through WeatherLink (now have upgraded to WeatherLink live).  Ever since i added the 2nd wind sensor, I'm getting a wind reading from it in the WeatherLink website instead of from the sensor on ISS1.  In other words, it is reporting the data from the 2nd sensor and labelling it as coming from ISS1.  This isn't OK, because I want to see both readings, which should be different (2nd sensor is 7m high, ISS1 wind sensor is 2m high).

I know the data are from the 2nd sensor instead of ISS1 because I tied the wind cups on the ISS1 wind sensor in place, and see that it is reporting 0 knots at the console.  I also disabled console display of 2nd weather sensor data (turned listening to the sensor off at the console).

Not sure what I may have messed up in the installation.  Hope someone has run across this before and may have input for how I can fix the problem.  Pic below.  Thanks in advance.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 03:44:12 PM by mml373 »

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
Re: Confusing Wind Sensors
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2021, 04:05:59 PM »
Have you enabled the option to use the second wind sensor on your ISS config at wl.com?
Mark

Offline mml373

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2021, 09:43:16 PM »
There was an option to use the 2nd sensor, which was checked.  That appears to have been the problem, as both were reporting from the 2nd sensor.  Thank you!!

Now to figure out how to get the 2nd wind sensor data to report to Wunderground and CWOP, instead of the ISS wind sensor data...
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 09:59:47 PM by mml373 »

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2021, 12:09:18 PM »
Bear in mind that will also affect derived values that use the wind speed like wind chill etc. Those will now be calculated using the ISS wind speed not the other transmitters wind speed.
Mark

Offline fkapp

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2021, 12:40:32 PM »
Hi,
I had similar confusion/issue when setting up my station which has ISS as transmitter 1 and a roof top wind sensor on 6332 as transmitter 2. Am running weatherlink live.

When I set the roof anemometer as the one to use for the primary station then the exact same thing happens below where both ISS1 and the 2ndary wind are reported the same.

I believe the answer to your question is to use Meteobridge or maybe CumulusMX which allows the mapping of sensors to what data is sent to sites like WU, CWOP etc.

I am going to setup a meteobridge later this year to enable this (what I have said about mapping is how I understand these will work)

This still leaves open that the wind data on the weatherlink live map will show the ISS and not the roof top but I am willing to forgo that to be able to see my data from both sensors.  If you set a 2ndary anemometer as the one for the ISS to use then as you  show below weatherlink overwrites the ISS one raw data with the 2ndary which is too bad.
I guess the answer to be able to see data from the anemometer that is connected into the ISS is to get another 6332, which is expensive solution. (unless i am wrong)

Offline UKBrownEdge

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2021, 01:16:27 PM »
Hi,
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
I also have an issue with the wind sensor, on the Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus. The wind sensor is on the roof separate from the main sensor array utilising a transmitter station linked to the main. In the weather link live app (iPhone) the wind sensor is shown in the main wind section of the dashboard showing speed and direction updating every few seconds. There is also reference to the same sensor further down in the same dashboard but there it just says ‘wind sensor’ - updating every few seconds. When I first set up the station and app these two references to the wind were identical but recently they don’t match at all. The main wind section appears to be only updating every 5/10 mins but the ‘wind sensor’ (small section at the bottom) shows live. I’ve attached two pictures which are taken within a second of each other clearly showing the difference. Has anyone else had this issue or could help me to diagnose the sync issue?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 01:58:49 AM by UKBrownEdge »