Author Topic: "incompatible logger" error  (Read 12817 times)

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: "incompatible logger" error
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2012, 05:41:14 PM »
"low volume market" - about says it all. There is simply no romance to encourage new competitors to Davis. Make no mistake tough - if there was a market for this type of gear, Davis would be yet another US mfg. who died at the hands of foreign makers.  Far better to make radio control gear (there are at least a half dozen major competitors pumping out tens of thousands of radios and accessories) or espresso machines for the coffee crowd.  BTW, there is a really cool open source, Arduino-based espresso machine coming out that is  seriously undercutting the traditional makers.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2012, 10:32:25 PM »
The design for the logger is "ancient" (maybe 10 years or more ago I think).  When the first loggers came out, I'll bet those component chips easily cost 10X their current prices.

Then you would be wrong.  The 4 megabit chips with 4x the capacity of the 1 megabit parts used in the console were not 10X as expensive as the parts used now when they first came out in 1997.  Price is tied strongly to memory capacity, so the 1 megabit parts would have been significantly less.  See here.

Prices for memory chips (retail) was about $3 per Mbyte in 1997. In 2012 the price is $0.005 per Mbyte. While it is hard to compare directly (more memory in the same size package) it would be safe to assume that the cost was well over 10x back in 1997.  
http://www.jcmit.com/mem2012.htm
http://www.jcmit.com/memoryprice.htm
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 10:36:12 PM by hankster »

Offline latitudehopper

• Christow, UK - Live Weather
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2013, 05:06:05 PM »
I have had a reply from Davis offering to swap it out. Let's see where this gets me.
--------------
Hi Jamie,

You’ll want to take the logger back to where you purchased it from, or work directly with our UK distributor to have them swap it out for you.  Here is their information:

Orolia Ltd

Portsmouth, UK
Phone: +44 23 9262 3900
sales@mcmurdo.co.uk
www.davisweather.co.uk
Reseller Since: 2003

Gerry Thrash
Technical Support
Davis Instruments, Inc.
  510-732-1852
  gerryt@davisnet.com

Visit us at www.davisnet.com

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2013, 05:22:26 PM »
I have had a reply from Davis offering to swap it out. Let's see where this gets me.
--------------
Hi Jamie,

You’ll want to take the logger back to where you purchased it from, or work directly with our UK distributor to have them swap it out for you.  Here is their information:

One interpretation of that statement would be that the seller of the logger is "responsible" for exchanging it. 

Of course, that cannot be legally accurate.  But we can hope that it succeeds.

Offline latitudehopper

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2013, 12:03:44 PM »
And update: I have now been asked for the my address for them to send out a new one.  Watch this space.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2013, 12:06:40 PM »
And update: I have now been asked for the my address for them to send out a new one.  Watch this space.

Thanks for the update - and who is "them"?

Offline latitudehopper

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2013, 08:53:24 AM »
An update:

McMurdo (Davis distributor in UK) has informed me that a new logger has been sent to me today and will be with me tomorrow.

Offline Weather Spares

• Forecaster
    • Weather Spares
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2013, 09:52:34 AM »
Davis have issues a statement on their Facebook page about this yesterday http://www.facebook.com/pages/Davis-Instruments-Weather/108609479156859

For those without access to Facebook here is the text from their statement...

Hi all, there seems to be some concern and confusion regarding Davis’ recent firmware update and Davis data loggers. Some changes in electronic components necessitated our updating the weather console firmware. If you are using a new console or a recently repaired console with an older data logger, you may experience an incompatibility. This is a rare occurrence.
It is not our intention to make you buy new data loggers. Most customers don’t need one. If you experience trouble with a new console and your Davis data logger, please contact Technical Support at (510) 732-7814 or support@davisnet.com. They are happy to work with you to problem solve and if appropriate will arrange for a new Davis data logger in exchange for your old Davis data logger.

Weather Spares - your one stop shop for complete stations, accessories and spare parts for Davis Instruments, Ecowitt, Oregon Scientific, TFA, Ventus, GARNI and many more - https://www.weatherspares.co.uk/ offering global shipping of products.

Davis Vantage Pro 2 plus 24 hour FARS, Meteobridge NANO SD data logger, Davis AirLink, remote Davis anemometer rooftop mounted.
Location 95m altitude, West of Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, UK.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2013, 10:23:30 AM »
An update:

McMurdo (Davis distributor in UK) has informed me that a new logger has been sent to me today and will be with me tomorrow.

Perhaps you would be so kind as to tell us the rest of the procedure? 

Offline latitudehopper

« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2013, 11:01:41 AM »
Absolutely.

I contacted Davis support and explained the situation and how I wasn't overly pleased. They asked me to contact Mcmurdo and to send them the old logger - a week later a new one was en-route.

Jamie

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2013, 02:27:30 PM »
Absolutely.

I contacted Davis support and explained the situation and how I wasn't overly pleased. They asked me to contact Mcmurdo and to send them the old logger - a week later a new one was en-route.

Jamie

Ah, thanks for explaining that it was "first send in the old one, and then receive a new one".

Offline DeKay

• Forecaster
    • Mad Scientist Labs
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2013, 11:52:14 PM »
Davis have issues a statement on their Facebook page about this yesterday http://www.facebook.com/pages/Davis-Instruments-Weather/108609479156859

For those without access to Facebook here is the text from their statement...

Hi all, there seems to be some concern and confusion regarding Davis’ recent firmware update and Davis data loggers. Some changes in electronic components necessitated our updating the weather console firmware.

Half truths at best, I suspect.  rdsman already showed that the memory chip in the new logger is identical to the memory chip in the old logger.  They might have had to change some firmware in the console for new components, but that isn't why the old loggers stopped working.  They added stuff like the security register stuff to make the old loggers stop working.

I invite anyone to cut and paste this onto their wall and see what they come back with.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2013, 01:36:05 PM »
rdsman already showed that the memory chip in the new logger is identical to the memory chip in the old logger. 

So what's the potential to program the security register in an old logger? :)

Offline latitudehopper

« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2013, 02:09:38 PM »
New logger has now arrived.

Offline rdsman

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2013, 02:27:32 PM »
So what's the potential to program the security register in an old logger? :)

I think we need someone with an old data logger to read the Security Register.  If it returns anything other than all 0xFF's, then it has already been programmed.  If it has, and doesn't match the new logger, this would be a good clue. 

But to precisely answer your question, if it has not been programmed previously, it would be a simple task.  It could be done with an Arduino, Bus Pirate, etc.  If and when the time comes, I'm certain that the full instructions will be published here.  If it is already programmed, it cannot be programmed again by any means that I know of.

Ray

Offline iBangkok24

« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2013, 08:55:13 PM »
One more concern rdsman, While I'm waiting for my bus pirate I have some feeling that Davis might be using the Security Register from bit 65 to 127, which is unique for every single 45DB to calculate what is to be programmed in the first 64 bit of the Security Register. If my concern becoming true it would be nightmare.

Maybe I just think too much.

Offline torkelmj

• Contributor
    • My weather station, etc.
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2013, 05:17:12 PM »
If your assumption of "derived" values is correct - would't that imply that a logger cannot be used with a different console once the SR has been programmed? Sounds too bad to be true.

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
  • waiting for the rain.....
    • Belfryboy Blog
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2013, 05:39:25 PM »
I expect that if they do use this part of the register it would be to program the first 64 bytes at the factory. Even Davis wouldn't be so short sighted as to make the console program the logger and pair them up for life.

anything