Author Topic: Vantage Vue Console logger pinout  (Read 160163 times)

Offline DeKay

• Forecaster
    • Mad Scientist Labs
Re: Vantage Vue Console logger pinout
« Reply #275 on: January 15, 2012, 12:45:50 PM »
Maybe tomorrow I'll put the 1Mbit version in there and see if there is different behavior.

Today is tomorrow.  Same behavior with the 1Mbit part in place.  The odd thing is that with the 4Mbit part in place, the console would beep twice on powerup instead of the three times it would with no logger.  Now I'm back to getting three beeps the last two times I've powered it up connected to the 1Mbit part.  DMPAFT is still giving me the expected output.  Hmmmm...

I will say though that Realterm knocks my socks off.

Offline C5250

• Forecaster
    • Local weather
« Reply #276 on: January 15, 2012, 10:37:27 PM »
Interesting... I don't see any other possible reason why it shouldn't work. There isn't any way for WL to directly query the logger PROM.

It looks like Realterm can spy on the connection, maybe try that and see what WL might stall on?

BTW: I know I said in the past the only thing the firmware checked was the status byte for ready. Today, I noticed another bit of code that checks bits 5-3 of the status byte. It does a shift right 3 times, AND with 0x07, and then compare with 0x01. So bit 3 has to be 1 and bits 4 & 5 have to be 0, or that test will fail.
Precious little in your life is yours by right and won without a fight.

Offline tremors834

« Reply #277 on: June 28, 2012, 04:03:30 PM »

We'll use the SparkFun XBee breakout board ($3) and a pair of 2mm header sockets ($1 each) which need to be soldered to the breakout board for mounting the XBee transceiver ($22, same as above). Buy an extra header socket, which will be cut up to make the console connector cable (details in previous Phase I posting).
http://www.sparkfun.com/products/8276
http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10030

I know this is an older thread but Im curious if anyone can confirm that the above SparkFun parts are correct. I can't see the socket 10030 fitting the breakout board 8276
Thanks
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 07:57:14 PM by tremors834 »

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
  • waiting for the rain.....
    • Belfryboy Blog
« Reply #278 on: July 03, 2012, 03:17:05 AM »
you would need this one:

2mm 10 pin socket

Offline pimohdaimaoh

• Forecaster
  • "Be aware to our nature"
    • PIMOHWEATHER
Re: Vantage Vue Console logger pinout and possible software support
« Reply #279 on: August 06, 2012, 12:21:18 AM »
Hi guys specially af4ex and DeKay im mike from the PHILIPPINES and im a new here in thif forum, well I read almost all your topics and shared ideas here and im very proud of you having hack the VUE console pinouts, I was about to reject for a plan not to purchase Davis Vue because I want to have a weather station in which can connect to Wunderground,WUHU etc... not after I read your posts here and my interest to buy that console is returned (im almost tend to buy other weather stations either LA Cross or WS-2080 but im worried to their standards unlike Davis instruments) so even I still dont have Davis because Im still saving for that instrument till next month (im im lucky).

without further ADO, I wanna ask sir, if that setup can be allowed to run any weather software applications? and every weather software has a distinct instrument to choose example in CUMULUS, did you still selecting Davis products there in sensor settings like that? how about the other weather software? they have distinct sensors to be choose so that tha software will link the consoles DATA to the internet.

Thak you for your time and replies ^_^; (soon after I got one I will proceed this setup like yours)   =D>

Offline LPPF

Re: Vantage Pro2 Console wireless adapter
« Reply #280 on: September 02, 2012, 09:39:41 AM »
Hi, All! I’ve been playing around with a Vantage Pro2 for a while and watching these messages. I think you are very close to what I view as a “perfect” adapter but not quite there yet. If I understood software and the hardware involved better maybe I could cobble something together but until then I have to rely on the experts like DeKay and morter01 and hope they can point me in the right direction. Ideally I’d like to have a wireless connection on my wireless console to connect to my home network that would upload to Wunderground and other internet based services. This way I could have my console in the kitchen where it is easily viewed, the router in the upstairs office where the wiring mess is out of the way, and data continuously uploaded without having to leave a computer running. Having the wireless adapter run off the console power would be a big plus.  If someone has done this, I could duplicate it if schematics, diagrams & directions were available but the actual designing is way out of my capabilities. Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

Thanks much!

Offline DeKay

• Forecaster
    • Mad Scientist Labs
Re: Vantage Pro2 Console wireless adapter
« Reply #281 on: September 02, 2012, 01:20:26 PM »
Ideally I’d like to have a wireless connection on my wireless console to connect to my home network

Like page 10 of this very thread?.

Offline LPPF

« Reply #282 on: September 02, 2012, 03:26:57 PM »
That's part of the puzzle but if I'm understanding things correctly, this just provides a wireless connection from the console to the computer. I still have to have a computer running to upload to Wunderground, etc. I've seen a number of posts that have created some sort of wireless connection to a computer but haven't found anything that will post the data without the computer running. Thinking a little more, I guess what I want would also have to have some sort of data storage so that historical data could be downloaded to the computer at times when the computer is on. Thanks for your suggestion!

Offline DeKay

• Forecaster
    • Mad Scientist Labs
« Reply #283 on: September 02, 2012, 05:17:40 PM »
I've seen a number of posts that have created some sort of wireless connection to a computer but haven't found anything that will post the data without the computer running.

Except for this thread started by morter01 (whom you specifically mentioned) that does exactly this.  Granted, that was a direct serial link rather than a wireless one over a Roving Networks module, but the commands to and responses from the console are exactly the same.  I would think it would be pretty straightforward to mod the script used by morter01 to set up a connection over the network rather than the serial port.  In fact, the serial port setup was one of the trickier things to get right.

Offline iBangkok24

« Reply #284 on: December 30, 2012, 11:39:37 AM »
Dear All,
I just try to make the home brewed xbee version. The problem is what ever I type in the terminal the VUE always response with

OK.

Help please.

P.S. I got "LCD OK" when power the console on (plug in the power adapter)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 11:50:13 AM by iBangkok24 »

Offline iBangkok24

« Reply #285 on: December 30, 2012, 12:16:01 PM »
Ok, just read another post. It seem like I'm having a "New" VUE.

As I can see in the weather link manual. It said you need to use "BLUE" Serial adapter (The one that convert phone jack (RJ11) to Serial (DB9)). So I think the thing that make the home brewed cable work might be just another resister jump between some pin of the console.

Offline m1kew1lson

« Reply #286 on: January 08, 2013, 10:14:38 AM »

Offline IHateHail

• Wunderground
« Reply #288 on: January 13, 2013, 07:14:29 PM »
Million dollar question....
Does the XBee solution still work?  Or is it also affected?

Sorry, had to ask.  Just got my new Vantage Vue v.3.
CWOP: EW2516

Offline iBangkok24

« Reply #290 on: January 14, 2013, 08:36:36 AM »
My bus pirate is on the way, and my PCB for wireless xbee data logger is also on theway. When I have them both I will try program the security Register on my DIY logger, will feed back then.

Offline n7xrd

• Forecaster
    • Kamiah Weather
« Reply #291 on: March 03, 2013, 11:22:34 PM »
 :shock: So now that version 3.12 is out will these wireless xbees work again with a new Vantage Vue??

Offline JACK10562

• Forecaster
  • DW5051
    • DW5051 East Harwich MA
« Reply #292 on: March 04, 2013, 08:13:05 AM »
According to this, it should. This topic reply was in another thread:

I can report that the SLOweather DSI-01 Does work with this firmware release!  =D>

VP2 Wireless FW 1.9 > 3.12, update was done on WeatherLinkIP that I believe is Green dot, mfg code F10112A54

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=18391.0

CWOP:DW5051
MADIS ID:D5051
WU:KMAEASTH4
CoCoRaHS:MA-BA-23
DavisVantagePro2Plus#6163
Cumulus 1.9.4(1097)←☼

Offline n7xrd

• Forecaster
    • Kamiah Weather
« Reply #293 on: March 04, 2013, 08:29:26 AM »
According to this, it should. This topic reply was in another thread:

I can report that the SLOweather DSI-01 Does work with this firmware release!  =D>

VP2 Wireless FW 1.9 > 3.12, update was done on WeatherLinkIP that I believe is Green dot, mfg code F10112A54

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=18391.0

now that I think about it they don't have an update yet for the Vue which is what I am purchasing I have the VP2 at home this will be at the cabin.... :-(

Offline IHateHail

• Wunderground
« Reply #294 on: March 04, 2013, 03:00:53 PM »
Yeah, I am in the same boat.  Recently purchased a Vue with the 3.00 firmware... :mad:
Was going to build my own data logger... :mad:
CWOP: EW2516

Offline kd5byb

« Reply #295 on: May 04, 2013, 11:34:40 AM »
Good morning all...

I'm new to the forum - found this post while looking for solutions to what I'll call "the two console problem."  Or, better said, I want one console in the family room for the family to use, which having another back here in the ham-shack connected to my computer for logging and CWOP/APRS.  (I am an amateur radio operator / severe weather spotter)

I *was* very excited, as it seems like the XBee solution would do exactly what I wanted.  But, reading through the thread, it seems like units with the latest firmware do not work with the XBee link.  If I were to buy a Vantage Vue (like I was really close to doing this morning!) I would not be able to use the XBee to do what I wanted.

But, then it got really confusing - it seems like in the last few posts, there was confirmation that some external, non-Davis software was working, through what I assume to be the serial pins on the console.

My question then becomes this:  If I were to buy a Vantage Vue today, would the unit I receive be capable of using the XBee link?  Please pardon if this was conclusively answered elsewhere - I've tried to search looking for "XBee and 3.12" but the search returns nothing.  Most likely operator error...  ;)

thanks much and 73,
ben, kd5byb

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #296 on: May 04, 2013, 12:55:07 PM »
Sorry I don't have an answer and pretty sure you've understood this already, but let me just underline:

The issue is not the firmware revision per se (so don't let answers confuse you which relate to the firmware revision but in older consoles), but the console hardware. You need an answer for the so-called green-dot consoles (even though they don't have green dots any longer!) - that is consoles whose Mfg Code (on the label) starts with TWO letters (not a single letter). So that would be Vue Mfg Codes as from version 'MA' (I think we're currently up to ME).

These started being manufactured in the second half of last year (ie 2012) and so virtually all stock made prior to that will have already shipped, though there might be the odd one lurking in a low-volume dealership here or there (typically a dealer selling them as a sideline, eg a chandlers).
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #297 on: May 04, 2013, 12:57:43 PM »
Did the firmware updates affect the Vue, too,  or just the VP2?
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline torkelmj

• Contributor
    • My weather station, etc.
« Reply #298 on: May 05, 2013, 01:25:59 AM »
The issue is not the firmware revision per se (so don't let answers confuse you which relate to the firmware revision but in older consoles), but the console hardware.

Rather, it's a combination of the v. 3.xx firmware *and* that little something which indicates that the unit is a "new" console.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #299 on: May 05, 2013, 03:53:43 AM »
Rather, it's a combination of the v. 3.xx firmware *and* that little something which indicates that the unit is a "new" console.

Maybe. But the one single factor that defines whether a console will work eg with an XBee or not is whether it's a console hardware revision earlier than Rev 'M' or not. So why not focus on that specific point?
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.