Author Topic: Vantage Vue Console logger pinout  (Read 159784 times)

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
  • waiting for the rain.....
    • Belfryboy Blog
Re: Vantage Vue Console logger pinout
« Reply #250 on: November 28, 2011, 03:35:27 AM »

Is it possible to somehow get the logging and wireless capability together?
If the wireless module is simply a serial interface then of course. It would just need to connect to the RX and TX lines. I could have a look at this if anyone wants it.

Offline Mr.Wizard

« Reply #251 on: November 28, 2011, 09:46:23 AM »

Is it possible to somehow get the logging and wireless capability together?
If the wireless module is simply a serial interface then of course. It would just need to connect to the RX and TX lines. I could have a look at this if anyone wants it.

I was just looking at what Gwynethh was doing and also John/af4x, but the units they were building had no logging capability correct?  The wireless looks good to me as I want my console upstairs, and our only computer is in the basement, but I dont want to run it 24/7. 

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
    • Belfryboy Blog
« Reply #252 on: November 28, 2011, 10:05:31 AM »
as i said, very simple to add logging capability.

Offline Mr.Wizard

« Reply #253 on: November 28, 2011, 10:23:18 PM »
Let's pretend Santa leaves a Data Logger in my sock, what parts do I need to stream the data from upstairs to downstairs using the xbees?

Offline DeKay

• Forecaster
    • Mad Scientist Labs
« Reply #254 on: November 28, 2011, 10:49:50 PM »
Let's pretend Santa leaves a Data Logger in my sock, what parts do I need to stream the data from upstairs to downstairs using the xbees?

Nothing, besides a cable to connect between the xbee header and the terminal block shown on belfryboy's logger.  Look at this post to see how af4ex made the connection to the xbee on the console side.

The logger and the interface are two totally separate functions.  That is why we can have one, the other, or both.  belfryboy's design is the logger plus a terminal block connected to the consoles Tx / Rx lines that makes it easy to connect up the computer interface.  Like he said: very simple.

Offline Mr.Wizard

« Reply #255 on: November 29, 2011, 10:43:03 AM »

Nothing, besides a cable to connect between the xbee header and the terminal block shown on belfryboy's logger.  Look at this post to see how af4ex made the connection to the xbee on the console side.

The logger and the interface are two totally separate functions.  That is why we can have one, the other, or both.  belfryboy's design is the logger plus a terminal block connected to the consoles Tx / Rx lines that makes it easy to connect up the computer interface.  Like he said: very simple.
My mistake, I should have clarified a Davis weather logger in my sock, as there is the possibility of that occuring. 

So it looks like this for the computer side
Buy a USB EXplorer ($25) and a 1mw XBee ($22) from SparkFun, plug it into your destination computer, configure it, and you're halfway done! (You can use a higher power unit of course, but more expensive and higher drain on batteries)
http://www.sparkfun.com/products/8687
http://www.sparkfun.com/products/8665

but what would be needed to get the davis data logger to connect to another xbee?  the same as what would plug into the destination computer? Dont have a Davis logger so I dont know what end is on it

Offline DeKay

• Forecaster
    • Mad Scientist Labs
« Reply #256 on: November 29, 2011, 07:33:26 PM »
but what would be needed to get the davis data logger to connect to another xbee?  the same as what would plug into the destination computer? Dont have a Davis logger so I dont know what end is on it

You buy the Davis logger with either a standard USB or standard RS-232 connection that is meant to plug in directly to a PC.  If you want a wireless setup, you'd be better off just buying an off the shelf wireless extender for this.  Please start another thread if you have more questions, because what you are talking about has basically nothing to do with this topic.  Or just use the search function to find threads like this one.

Offline DeKay

• Forecaster
    • Mad Scientist Labs
« Reply #257 on: December 11, 2011, 09:46:56 PM »
I thought there might be a few people out there interested in a very cool hack.  A reader of my blog has figured out how to directly hook up a Davis console to his router and upload the data directly to wunderground.  No interface PC required.

He used a Linksys WRT54G, which already has an internal serial interface at compatible voltage levels to the console.  Many other routers have a similar connection inside.  This part I figured would be straightforward, and it was.  The tricky part is the software.  He looks to have that nailed and has made the script available in the public domain.  Check it out at this link and start voiding another warranty!

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #258 on: December 11, 2011, 09:53:32 PM »
You've created a monster!! LOL  Awesome work and it is amazing to me to see the spin-offs.  WOW!  Wow!
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline iamturnip

• The Hackery
« Reply #259 on: December 21, 2011, 01:51:17 AM »
He used a Linksys WRT54G, which already has an internal serial interface at compatible voltage levels to the console.  Many other routers have a similar connection inside.  This part I figured would be straightforward, and it was.  The tricky part is the software.  He looks to have that nailed and has made the script available in the public domain.  Check it out at this link and start voiding another warranty!

Ha! Just as I finished having Jax add the logger chip to the USB dongle we created earlier - there is a new hack! I love this! Who knew so many people were hacking away at this Davis equipment. I am happy now with what I have thanks to the great people on this forum. No more additions to my unit for some time.

Now I have to wrap my head around wview. For some reason it wants to record my inside temp as the the daily high for outside. I only wish it was 21C outside right now.

Happy Holidays and Good New Year everyone.

Offline HandyGeek

• KD4E
« Reply #260 on: December 26, 2011, 03:42:59 PM »
Is it correct that this Hirose connector will connect without modification?

http://octopart.com/df11-20ds-2dsa%2805%29-hirose-260412

Offline HandyGeek

• KD4E
« Reply #261 on: December 26, 2011, 07:36:23 PM »
I thought there might be a few people out there interested in a very cool hack.  A reader of my blog has figured out how to directly hook up a Davis console to his router and upload the data directly to wunderground.  No interface PC required.

QUESTION:  Could his code be modified to post to a weather data service other than Wunderground - or perhaps to multiple services?

Offline n8zuz

• My Wunderground data
« Reply #262 on: January 09, 2012, 05:07:33 PM »
I bought the FTDI cable from sparkfun and the sockets from digikey.  I notice neulos only connected ground, tx, and rx.  No VCC (voltage-collector-to-collector). 

What is the purpose of VCC?  Should I hook it up?  I'm thinking it's the positive voltage reference but I could be wrong.

Thanks,
Jeff

Offline DeKay

• Forecaster
    • Mad Scientist Labs
« Reply #263 on: January 09, 2012, 08:07:40 PM »
I bought the FTDI cable from sparkfun and the sockets from digikey.  I notice neulos only connected ground, tx, and rx.  No VCC (voltage-collector-to-collector). 

What is the purpose of VCC?  Should I hook it up?  I'm thinking it's the positive voltage reference but I could be wrong.

Thanks,
Jeff

You are wrong, actually.   :-)

The ground connection establishes a common reference between the two circuits.  That, Tx, and Rx are all that should be connected.  Leave Vcc unconnected.  Connecting Vcc could actually do bad things.  Very bad things.  Bad things as in dogs and cats living together bad.  Bad things as in introducing a big current loop and letting the magic smoke out bad.  Vcc is there on the console to power the circuitry in the Davis logger, which does not have a battery of its own.

Offline n8zuz

• My Wunderground data
« Reply #264 on: January 09, 2012, 10:38:14 PM »
Been wrong before so that's OK.  I'll keep it in mind when I solder up the cable at a later date. I want to get things going first.  My console has a 3F difference between indoor/outdoor sensors sitting on a table for over an hour.  It doesn't want to work on good C batteries neither. 

Thanks,
Jeff

Offline hppillai

« Reply #265 on: January 12, 2012, 07:17:14 PM »
Nice discussion. Trying to hook up Vue with Breakout Board for FT232RL USB to Serial x1 configured for 3.3V. Will be using cumulus for the time being. Later plans to migrate to a linux software! Will report problems/progress!

HPillai

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
    • Belfryboy Blog
« Reply #266 on: January 13, 2012, 03:43:44 AM »
I have just ordered the first batch of my boards (20) I have even added an option for a serial interface now, just for those that want it. PM me if you are interested. Remember, this board does have the datalogging option, but will not work with Weatherlink. I have successfully tested it with cumulus and Weather Display on Windows XP.

Davis logger for around $60 -  Bargain!

Offline DeKay

• Forecaster
    • Mad Scientist Labs
« Reply #267 on: January 13, 2012, 01:29:14 PM »
I have just ordered the first batch of my boards (20) I have even added an option for a serial interface now, just for those that want it. PM me if you are interested. Remember, this board does have the datalogging option, but will not work with Weatherlink. I have successfully tested it with cumulus and Weather Display on Windows XP.

Davis logger for around $60 -  Bargain!

Somebody sometime should really dig into why Weatherlink doesn't work when everything else does.  This nags at me, but I'm busy playing with something else right now to spend the time on it.

By option for a serial interface, do you mean that your design includes a USB to serial adapter?  Is that mounted to the board, or do you include a separate adapter that plugs into your board?  Or do you mean an RS-232 serial to LVTTL serial adapter?

Offline C5250

• Forecaster
    • Local weather
« Reply #268 on: January 13, 2012, 06:24:15 PM »
Somebody sometime should really dig into why Weatherlink doesn't work when everything else does.  This nags at me, but I'm busy playing with something else right now to spend the time on it.

Most likely because it uses the DMPAFT cmd and it doesn't get a valid response.
Precious little in your life is yours by right and won without a fight.

Offline DeKay

• Forecaster
    • Mad Scientist Labs
« Reply #269 on: January 13, 2012, 06:58:07 PM »

That should mean that if I have both my DIY logger and my DIY interface hooked up, it should work.  Correct?  I think belfryboy has already tried this with no luck, but I'll give it another shot and see.

Offline C5250

• Forecaster
    • Local weather
« Reply #270 on: January 13, 2012, 10:14:51 PM »

That should mean that if I have both my DIY logger and my DIY interface hooked up, it should work.  Correct?  I think belfryboy has already tried this with no luck, but I'll give it another shot and see.

I would suggest sending the DMPAFT cmd and examining the response. Will probably have to capture it, as the response will be binary. Should get an ACK (0x06) in response, then sending an ESC will abort the cmd. The next step would be to send a date/time, but that needs a CRC or it will be ignored.

Precious little in your life is yours by right and won without a fight.

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
    • Belfryboy Blog
« Reply #271 on: January 14, 2012, 05:19:05 AM »

By option for a serial interface, do you mean that your design includes a USB to serial adapter?  Is that mounted to the board, or do you include a separate adapter that plugs into your board?  Or do you mean an RS-232 serial to LVTTL serial adapter?

I can plug the logger into a 9 pin sub-d serial port ( i have added an RS-232 level shifter to the board)

Offline hppillai

« Reply #272 on: January 14, 2012, 05:48:46 PM »
Thanks DeKay and af4ex  =D>... This is a wonderful  :grin:! Everything worked without any trouble and right now I have Cumulus running. Since the terminal program running, I am planning to write a simple c code to communicate with console on COM5, download/update data every 2 second and write it to a file for linux.
Question: Am I wasting time "reinventing the wheel" by writing this code :? !

Right now the working system is:
Davis INSTRUMENTS 6250 Vantage Vue Wireless Weather Station
Sparkfun Breakout Board for FT232RL USB to Serial x1 configured for 3.3V
DeKay's gnd-gnd, Tx-Rx and Rx-Tx hardware connection
Realterm Terminal on Windows 7 for testing
Cumulus from Sandysoft for recording data!

Offline DeKay

• Forecaster
    • Mad Scientist Labs
« Reply #273 on: January 14, 2012, 10:13:23 PM »
Thanks DeKay and af4ex  =D>... This is a wonderful  :grin:! Everything worked without any trouble and right now I have Cumulus running. Since the terminal program running, I am planning to write a simple c code to communicate with console on COM5, download/update data every 2 second and write it to a file for linux.
Question: Am I wasting time "reinventing the wheel" by writing this code :? !

There is lots of stuff out there right now running on Linux that will talk to the console and get the data out of it.  But you'll learn about zero if you decide to use it.  If you write your own code, you'll learn way more than you think you will in the process and understand the interface inside out once you are done.

Only you can answer the question you pose.

Offline DeKay

• Forecaster
    • Mad Scientist Labs
« Reply #274 on: January 15, 2012, 12:06:24 AM »
I would suggest sending the DMPAFT cmd and examining the response. Will probably have to capture it, as the response will be binary. Should get an ACK (0x06) in response, then sending an ESC will abort the cmd. The next step would be to send a date/time, but that needs a CRC or it will be ignored.

Suggestion taken.  I am getting an ACK and a real data record after sending a proper date/time and CRC.  Other ideas?  The one thing I'm wondering is that my logger chip is currently the 4 Mbit version.  If Weatherlink on startup is somehow querying the chip and not finding the 1 Mbit version, maybe it packs up its bag and goes home?  Maybe tomorrow I'll put the 1Mbit version in there and see if there is different behavior.

The one thing I do know is that when Weatherlink is fired up and told to Auto Detect, it speeds through all the comm ports but pauses for a while on COM4, which is where my USB to Serial converter lives.  It spins there for a bit before giving up.

On a different note, I mentioned "learning something" in a previous message.  Today I learned:
  • there is an error in the Davis serial protocol doc for the checksum calculation.  More here.
  • I should get my head examined for thinking that Excel shouldn't have a problem with simple things like bitwise math