Author Topic: Where the heck is Steve?  (Read 2525 times)

Offline Shaw55

• Contributor
Where the heck is Steve?
« on: March 11, 2015, 05:35:41 PM »
Excuse my ignorance as I have been away from this forum for a while. Did he just abandon his software as he hasn't posted since 2013? Seems rather odd to leave with no explanation.
Richard
CWOP DW4847
CoCoRaHS MA-BE-4
Davis Vantage Vue, Weatherlink 6.0.3

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: Where the heck is Steve?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 05:17:54 AM »
Steve is a professional programmer and AIUI works on extended contracts, often away from his home. In addition I think he's had various other major responsibilities associated with family illness. So, all-told, I believe he's had literally zero time to think about VVP etc and seems to have made the decision to withdraw totally from commenting on VVP in forums etc.

TBH I think the situation with VVP in particular is fairly clear, ie it's a mature product when used as originally intended and documented, and shouldn't need significant support in this context. But it has never been rewritten to accommodate the more recent LOOP2 instruction. So any software that utilises LOOP2 will fail with the current version of VVP and that can't change until a complete update or rewrite of VVP is undertaken, which isn't on the horizon at present.

Let's hope that his circumstances improve and that he returns to and can make more progress with VVP2 at some point in the future.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Shaw55

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 08:05:27 AM »
John,

Thanks for taking the time to offer an explanation.

I just started using the latest version of VPLive to upload to CWOP and WU after using Weatherlink for the past few years. It's a wonderful program and I'd hate to see it become obsolete once all the CWOP servers switch over to the new header system.
Richard
CWOP DW4847
CoCoRaHS MA-BE-4
Davis Vantage Vue, Weatherlink 6.0.3

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 03:45:13 AM »
Steve is a professional programmer and AIUI works on extended contracts, often away from his home. In addition I think he's had various other major responsibilities associated with family illness. So, all-told, I believe he's had literally zero time to think about VVP etc and seems to have made the decision to withdraw totally from commenting on VVP in forums etc.

TBH I think the situation with VVP in particular is fairly clear, ie it's a mature product when used as originally intended and documented, and shouldn't need significant support in this context. But it has never been rewritten to accommodate the more recent LOOP2 instruction. So any software that utilises LOOP2 will fail with the current version of VVP and that can't change until a complete update or rewrite of VVP is undertaken, which isn't on the horizon at present.

Let's hope that his circumstances improve and that he returns to and can make more progress with VVP2 at some point in the future.

It would be nice if he would update Virtual VP, so it can work with the latest versions of Weatherlink.

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 11:11:20 AM »
Or if his circumstances no allow him to develop and market it, turn it Open Source.  I see that happening a fair bit now.  Worst thing that could happen is that Davis buys it.  :)
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

anything