Author Topic: iPhone weather apps?  (Read 11157 times)

Offline gvmelbrty

• Sandia Knolls, NM Weather
iPhone weather apps?
« on: October 16, 2013, 05:34:38 PM »
My sister just sent me her old iPhone 4 and I was wondering what geeky weather apps everyone is using?

For instance, I see a ton of NOAA radar apps - anyone using/like/recommend one of these?

Radarscope
noaa radar pro
noaa hi-def radar
radar cast elite
myradar pro
noaa superres radar

Any other wx apps?

Thxs

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
    • Colorado Springs Weather
Re: iPhone weather apps?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 05:58:19 PM »
Radarscope is the best!

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 06:02:35 PM »
I have Weather Underground loaded and my PWS selected mainly just to check in to be sure all is up and running while I'm out away from home.

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 08:00:45 PM »
I second Radarscope. Excellent app.  Especially when paired with an Allisonhouse data subscription. One of the big issues a lot of folks have with Radarscope is the lack of a U.S. mosaic.
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline gvmelbrty

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 08:46:32 PM »
I second Radarscope. Excellent app.  Especially when paired with an Allisonhouse data subscription. One of the big issues a lot of folks have with Radarscope is the lack of a U.S. mosaic.

Looks like Radarscope is the way to go for radar apps. Thxs for the suggestions so far.

And thxs for the Allisonhouse link - I didn't know such a service existed. What exactly is different when using Radarscope w/ an AH subscription?

Keep those weather app suggestions coming!

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 09:51:02 PM »
The difference between using Radarscope as is and using it with a sub. from Allisonhouse is when there is a large severe weather outbreak, the public NWS servers get overloaded and that delays getting current radar data. You also get a larger looping capacity with Allisonhouse has its own separate connection to the NWS servers, so when the public servers get overloaded or even go down during severe weather (e.g April 24, 2010, the public NWS servers went down for 30 minutes around the time Yazoo City got hit by a tornado), you are still getting current radar data without interruption. I have had their $10/month plan for the last 3 years and would not do without it. Now this isn't to say Allisonhouse has its share of data interruptions and hardware failures, it happens to everyone, but it isn't often. Tyler, Gilbert, Ryan and company are on top of any issues that occur 24/7. Another thing that people complain about with Radarscope without a sub. is the lack of lightning data. Lightning data is not generated by the NWS. Allisonhouse and the NWS have to buy their lighting data from either the USLPN or Viasala, and it is VERY expensive. Like to the tune of $30,000 to $40,000 a year for Allisonhouse, and those numbers may be underrstated.

Also,on the regular data connections within Radarscope, I do not know how Imap/WDT receives its data, whether it is through the NWS severs or separately.

John
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline gvmelbrty

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 06:40:06 AM »
Thxs for the detailed AH info. Sounds like a good service.

So, besides Radarscope (which I will definitely be getting), what other weather apps is everyone using?

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 10:55:07 AM »
Weatherbomb.  Weird name but a cool app - accurate.  Not sure if there is an iPhone version; never checked since I  use Android phones.  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.enzuredigital.weatherbomb&hl=en
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 12:13:58 PM »
How does Allisonhouse service compare to WeatherTap?

I've used that one for many many years and keep subscribing, but am always open to suggestions and sites that leapfrog the current status quo.

Are they essentially equivalent?

I can't afford two.  Or so the wife tells me...
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 12:21:29 PM »

I've used that one for many many years and keep subscribing, but am always open to suggestions and sites that leapfrog the current status quo.

You can get a 10 day free trial to AH.  I can't compare the two without knowing how both are.  I know how AH is and it's all that I really need.
Current setup: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline gvmelbrty

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2013, 09:19:34 PM »
Weatherbomb.  Weird name but a cool app - accurate.  Not sure if there is an iPhone version; never checked since I  use Android phones.  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.enzuredigital.weatherbomb&hl=en
Looks like good app, too bad it's android only. The developer told me he'd like start work on an iOS version, but has a day job and doesn't have the time or money to start such a big project right now.

Offline JACK10562

• Forecaster
  • DW5051
    • DW5051 East Harwich MA
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2013, 02:17:09 AM »
I will recommend iMap Weather Radio. It gives you location based NOAA severe weather alerts and much more. It's ten bucks but worth it. For Android and iPhone.

http://imapweatherradio.com/

Or you can do a free Midland Radio *partner version*  with many similar features.

http://imapweatherradio.com/?p=299
CWOP:DW5051
MADIS ID:D5051
WU:KMAEASTH4
CoCoRaHS:MA-BA-23
DavisVantagePro2Plus#6163
Cumulus 1.9.4(1097)←☼

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2013, 05:59:40 AM »

Allinsonhouse is just a subscription data service. They don't offer any radar programs all. WeatherTap offers radar programs but their data comes from NOAA. Two completely different products.
FWIW I tried WeatherTap and it was a OK but I think it would be better if it was released as software instead of browser based. Also WT free app WeatherTap Zoom is better then what you get for the paid version. I was kind of surprised about that.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2013, 11:32:14 PM »

Allinsonhouse is just a subscription data service. They don't offer any radar programs all. WeatherTap offers radar programs but their data comes from NOAA. Two completely different products.
FWIW I tried WeatherTap and it was a OK but I think it would be better if it was released as software instead of browser based. Also WT free app WeatherTap Zoom is better then what you get for the paid version. I was kind of surprised about that.

My only beef with Weathertap is that most of the model data is free with simuawips.
Joe Fitzwater
Chief Meteorologist for WVNS-TV 59 in Beckley, WV

Work Page on Facebook -> www.facebook.com/meteojoe
Work Page on Twitter -> https://twitter.com/meteojoe
Waterfalls -> www.wvfalls.com

Offline PugetSoundStormWatch

• Your Western Washington Weather Enthusiast!
    • PSSW Facebook Page
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2013, 12:05:17 AM »
I have an iPad, but I use quite a few Weather apps:

-RadarNow!
-AccuWeather
-US Weather Alert Map
-WeatherBug
-RadarCast
-Wundermap for iPad
-Weather Radio for iPad
-Stations: LaCrosse C84612, Ambient Weather Caddie
-Software: HeavyWeather WS-2800

-PSSW on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Puget-Sound-Storm-Watch/335687419886238?ref=hl
-YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/MiltonWATech99

Offline LFWX

• Forecaster
  • Liberty Township, Butler County, Ohio
    • Liberty Fairfield Weather Center
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2013, 11:46:36 PM »
Have you tried Weather Geek Pro 2? Created by a meteorologist here Cncinnati.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/weathergeek-pro-2/id416571494?mt=8
Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Fan Aspirated
Software: Virtual Weather Station V14.00p64
www.LFWeatherCenter.com
CWOP: DW1039
CoCoRaHS: OH-BT-1
Weather Underground: KOHHAMIL7
Weather For You: DW1039
Midwestern Weather Network

Offline gvmelbrty

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2015, 01:47:00 PM »
I wanted to add another iPhone app to the list that I've been using lately: Beweather 2. It pulls data from WU personal weather stations, is highly customizable (icons, fonts) and includes a notification widget. It's not perfect and I've contacted the developer with suggestions, but I use it every day.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/beweather-2/id931212644?mt=8

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2015, 03:59:08 PM »
I wanted to add another iPhone app to the list that I've been using lately: Beweather 2. It pulls data from WU personal weather stations, is highly customizable (icons, fonts) and includes a notification widget. It's not perfect and I've contacted the developer with suggestions, but I use it every day.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/beweather-2/id931212644?mt=8

Also available in Android flavour.  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bellshare.beweather&hl=en
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline K3JAE

• Contributor
  • Davis VP2 Wireless
    • K3JAE's Weather Station
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2015, 12:52:29 AM »
Primarily, I used WeatherUnderground PWS, MyRadar and RadarUS.

I will, under no circumstances, use anything where data is supplied or an endorsing of "the Weather Channel" idiots take place. It still irks the hell out of me that, in spite of NOAA/NWS asking them idiots to cease and desist, they still feel they are obligated and breaking ground by the naming winter storms. Weather authorities, they are not even close.

73's de K3JAE

John
K3JAE Weather Station

Offline Andy G

• Forecaster
    • SunPrairieWeather.com
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2015, 08:15:05 AM »
Just downloaded Radarscope, didn't know about it but I thinks its the best I have seen so far fro radar. I never have ha a AH subscription maybe ill try it in for the spring.
Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy.
~Einstein

SunPrairieWeather.com
Davis VP2 24 FARS

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2015, 07:07:37 PM »
Just downloaded Radarscope, didn't know about it but I thinks its the best I have seen so far fro radar. I never have ha a AH subscription maybe ill try it in for the spring.
For radar, Radarscope and Pykl are the best. They both pretty much mirror each other.
Myself I use Pykl but I have seen Radarscope in action and it is quite good.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2015, 07:08:14 PM »
Primarily, I used WeatherUnderground PWS, MyRadar and RadarUS.

I will, under no circumstances, use anything where data is supplied or an endorsing of "the Weather Channel" idiots take place. It still irks the hell out of me that, in spite of NOAA/NWS asking them idiots to cease and desist, they still feel they are obligated and breaking ground by the naming winter storms. Weather authorities, they are not even close.
The TWC love continues. :grin:

Offline gvmelbrty

iPhone weather apps?
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2015, 10:15:28 PM »
Couple more apps to add to the iPhone list..

Just got the new app from Weather Underground called Storm. Pretty neat app, it's worth checking out:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/storm-by-weather-underground/id955957721?ls=1&mt=8

The other one missing from the list that I use daily is Personal Weather Station Monitor:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/personal-weather-station-monitor/id713705929?mt=8
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 12:25:15 AM by gvmelbrty »

Offline Phipps

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2015, 09:15:54 AM »
I second PWS Monitor. Use it on a daily basis. I've got my station, my brother's station and one near where my son is currently stationed. It's nice to be able to check the weather conditions at all 3 places with the swipe of a finger.

Offline juanpa

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2016, 04:07:59 PM »
For view your Personal Weather Station in your iOS (Apple) mobile device (iPhone or iPad ) your can use Sonotrigger Software software.sonotrigger.comapp:
 - myPWS (wh2600 foshk & clones)
 - app2000 (hp2000 foshk & clones)
 - myMeteobridge ( meteobridge & clones)
 - mobAWEKAS (Awekas network)

anything