Author Topic: What would make you a raving fan?  (Read 27675 times)

Offline weatherforyou

• Forecaster
  • My weather is on WeatherForYou.com. Is yours?
    • http://www.weatherforyou.com
What would make you a raving fan?
« on: July 03, 2012, 02:43:54 PM »
With the merger/purchase/takeover/whatever between TWC and WU there is concern some of the things which have been available to PWS users will be limited or removed.  Some of these things are already available from WeatherForYou.com/PWSweather but haven't been utilized.  Some things we don't currently have but may be able to add.

I know there have been some suggestions in the past... some we've been able to do, some we haven't.  However I see the situation has changed and I'm going to invest some time and money that I might have not otherwise considered.  I'm prepared to do it, but I only want to invest where it's really wanted and will get used.

Most users here are big fans of WU.  People's WU IDs appear prominently in signatures, their images and logo appear on web sites, people write scripts and programs for WU.  WeatherForYou.com... not so much.  What would make you a raving fan of WeatherForYou.com?  What would make you want to tell everyone about WeatherForYou.com? Maps for your site?  Other images? Other data?  I need ideas!

Some people have said they don't link or promote WeatherForYou.com because no one has heard of them (even though we had almost 850,000 unique users in the last 30 days).  Yeah, 850,000 isn't what the others have.  That's why we really need you to spread the word.  But you're only going to do it if we have something you'd be glad to tell others about.

We've been around since 1999.  Later that year a site with a similar name told us to give up... that they had investors who were going to make them big...we now own their domain name.  Some of our ideas were used elsewhere.  A few times we've had offers to sell off, but the terms showed it was so the site could be shut down.  After 13 years we're not going away.  We only want to get better.  But we need your help to do that!

Thanks in advance.
Joe Torsitano

Offline ArmySlowRdr

• Senior Contributor
    • South Central Killeen
Re: What would make you a raving fan?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 03:11:12 PM »
I really like WU's wundermap as it's a live snapshot of all the stations, one can tick boxes to display cloud cover, radar, webcams  etc

I have a PWS sign in, but the software I have, WSDL, will not allow me to upload to PWS in the version that is stable for me. WSDL developer admits the latest version beta is not stable---well neither is the latest main release.  And I'm not quite ready to change software yet. Maybe if and when I switch from Oreogn Sci to Davis.

Offline weatherforyou

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 03:31:27 PM »
I really like WU's wundermap as it's a live snapshot of all the stations, one can tick boxes to display cloud cover, radar, webcams  etc

I have a PWS sign in, but the software I have, WSDL, will not allow me to upload to PWS in the version that is stable for me. WSDL developer admits the latest version beta is not stable---well neither is the latest main release.  And I'm not quite ready to change software yet. Maybe if and when I switch from Oreogn Sci to Davis.
Adding PWS stations to our Interactive Maps.  Excellent idea.

BTW... if you send your webcam images to http://webcams.travel they show up on our Interactive Maps.

Joe Torsitano

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 03:57:50 PM »
If I go to one of my stations pages, http://www.pwsweather.com/obs/TENMILE2.html for example, there is no link there to make a banner of my data for websites, signatures, etc.  I'm pretty sure there's an option to do that somewhere on your site.  But if there was a link for my data on my page, I would probably use it.

Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline weatherforyou

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 04:05:00 PM »
http://www.weatherforyou.com/pwstools/ is where they're at.

I'll see about making that information more prominent.
Joe Torsitano

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 04:19:30 PM »
To be honest I use WU more out of habit then anything else.
But, as mentioned above the wundermaps are pretty cool. Also I like the fact in wunderground when I put in  a zipcode in addition to the forecasts etc, I also get all the personal weather stations in a 25 mile radius. I don't get that in WFY. I think it would be a good idea to combine PWS.com and WFY into one page.
I currently don't send data to PWS because WL doesn't support it. I have used other software in the past and sent my data. I know I should just fire up Virtual VP and be done with it.
Also don't like the adds. That's a biggy. I don't know if I was a contributor to PWS if the adds would disappear but I really hate adds. I understand why you use them but it's a turnoff for me.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 04:44:26 PM »
Joe I would also add that in another thread you mention your map provider does not allow others to use those maps. Many people use the WU maps on their websites. I think you should look into producing those maps locally so those websites will have your logo instead of WU. I know this may be a costly venture but if you are going to dive into this you may as well go all the way.
One final thing. The Rapid Fire feature is really nice during severe and tropical weather. Nothing better then seeing data update at a one second interval when a hurricane is making landfall.

Offline weatherforyou

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 05:02:24 PM »
But, as mentioned above the wundermaps are pretty cool. Also I like the fact in wunderground when I put in  a zipcode in addition to the forecasts etc, I also get all the personal weather stations in a 25 mile radius. I don't get that in WFY. I think it would be a good idea to combine PWS.com and WFY into one page.
I currently don't send data to PWS because WL doesn't support it. I have used other software in the past and sent my data. I know I should just fire up Virtual VP and be done with it.
Also don't like the adds. That's a biggy. I don't know if I was a contributor to PWS if the adds would disappear but I really hate adds. I understand why you use them but it's a turnoff for me.
Combining WeatherForYou.com and PWSweather.com probably isn't going to happen.  HAMweather and WeatherForYou are partners in it and we both need each other for our other projects.  We set up the separate domain so one site didn't seem dominate and we both got equal credit.  I'd ask HAMweather what it would take for us to just take over PWSweather.com, but I don't have the programming knowledge they do and I'm not good at getting volunteers to help and program things like they do for WU.  That's what I'm looking for.  How can the site motivate people to want to contribute and help?

I understand about the ads.  However we constantly get comments that our ads are considerably less obnoxious, less intrusive and considerably fewer than on other sites.  We keep them to a minimum.  Sometimes I think other sites have obnoxious ads so the ad-free memberships will sell.  :D  I've thought about memberships for contributors.  But, like you say, you use WU out of habit.  If it's set up will it even get used?  Would that change a habit?
Joe Torsitano

Offline weatherforyou

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 05:15:06 PM »
Joe I would also add that in another thread you mention your map provider does not allow others to use those maps. Many people use the WU maps on their websites. I think you should look into producing those maps locally so those websites will have your logo instead of WU. I know this may be a costly venture but if you are going to dive into this you may as well go all the way.
I'm considering that, or paying the "enterprise" license to allow their use on other sites.

One final thing. The Rapid Fire feature is really nice during severe and tropical weather. Nothing better then seeing data update at a one second interval when a hurricane is making landfall.
We've talked about that.  Part of my issue with it is I intended WeatherForYou.com and PWSweather.com to be a "gateway" site where people can find out there's a station close to them and then go to the contributor's site for all the fancy whizz-bang features.  But more and more people don't have a site.  So we may have to consider it again.  Of course getting the software makers to update their programs could be a problem.  There's still some software out there that, if you download the most recent version today, still sends data to a pre-PWSweather.com domain (hasn't been used for over four years) and the data has to be redirected to PWSweather.com.  :P
Joe Torsitano

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 06:16:14 PM »
I think people were using WU by default, not necessarily because it was better.  "Because it was there" and name recognition.

If you can fill the gap, it will give more people incentive to drop WU altogether.

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 08:34:26 PM »
Combining WeatherForYou.com and PWSweather.com probably isn't going to happen.  HAMweather and WeatherForYou are partners in it and we both need each other for our other projects.  We set up the separate domain so one site didn't seem dominate and we both got equal credit.  I'd ask HAMweather what it would take for us to just take over PWSweather.com, but I don't have the programming knowledge they do and I'm not good at getting volunteers to help and program things like they do for WU.  That's what I'm looking for.  How can the site motivate people to want to contribute and help?

I understand about the ads.  However we constantly get comments that our ads are considerably less obnoxious, less intrusive and considerably fewer than on other sites.  We keep them to a minimum.  Sometimes I think other sites have obnoxious ads so the ad-free memberships will sell.  :D  I've thought about memberships for contributors.  But, like you say, you use WU out of habit.  If it's set up will it even get used?  Would that change a habit?

Joe, to be honest, the best thing you can do for starters is to get as far away from Hamweather as you can.

You know all about situation and it sure wouldn't help your cause. What Lee did and how it was done was a crime. I really do not know how he sleeps at night (oh yeah, on that pile of money). Shame on him.

www.theamericanflagstore.com - The American Flag Store

www.nhweatherdata.com - NH Weather Data

Offline smorris

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Long Road Station
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 11:26:18 PM »
I send data to PWSweather using WeatherCat software on a Mac. One of the users wrote an AppleScript to upload data from the information you sent to me late last year. Works great. http://www.pwsweather.com/obs/KOHAVON11.html I provide a link to PWSweather on my web page.

And I use the WeatherForYou 7-day forecast on my web page

But I don't even see any tie-in between PWSweather and WeatherForYou.com. The only way I know is the tiny link in the footer of the PWSweather web page.

What I'd like to see? I've asked before about how to add the weather history on my page like is done in Weather Display, but never got a reply.

The forecasts for adding on our sites are great, and I appreciate you offering them for our use. Perhaps other tools along these lines for adding UV, moon phase, etc. on our web pages? I see a lot of neat features on other web pages that I like, but can't add because they are built to work with specific weather software.

Thanks for hanging in there, and thanks for asking,
Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus w/FARS, Leaf & Soil Station

CWOP • WU • AWEKAS • CoCoRaHS • Skywarn • MWWN • UK Met • PWS • WeatherBug • TwitterFacebook

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
    • Colorado Springs Weather
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2012, 11:35:34 PM »
I have an icon under affliations on my site.

http://hayskansasweather.com/

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
    • Colorado Springs Weather
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2012, 11:38:14 PM »
Maybe if and when I switch from Oreogn Sci to Davis.

Do it. Once you go Davis you never go back. In my opinion Davis is the best it gets when it comes to stations.

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2012, 12:22:14 AM »
Perhaps you should consider getting someone to make an app or a widget for PWS or WFY for smart phones.  I have one for WU that shows my station.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jackson

(note the change in sticker in signature!  :)  )
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline weatherforyou

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2012, 02:39:06 AM »
Joe, to be honest, the best thing you can do for starters is to get as far away from Hamweather as you can.
I understand your frustrations with the way things turned out with HAMweather.  However HAMweather continues to donate an amount of programming expertise I could never afford (and no one else has donated).  They also share all the costs associated with the program (servers, bandwidth, etc.).  Lee also made sure WeatherForYou.com continued to have access to web weather products, old and new, as we had for years before the merger.  Lee has been very good to PWSweather.com and WeatherForYou.com.  I continue to administer a number of their servers as they provide products for WeatherForYou.com among others so it's in my best interest to make sure those servers are running right.  Splitting from HAMweather really isn't an option on both a personal and professional level.
Joe Torsitano

Offline weatherforyou

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2012, 02:50:15 AM »
I send data to PWSweather using WeatherCat software on a Mac. One of the users wrote an AppleScript to upload data from the information you sent to me late last year. Works great. http://www.pwsweather.com/obs/KOHAVON11.html I provide a link to PWSweather on my web page.

And I use the WeatherForYou 7-day forecast on my web page
I appreciate it much.

But I don't even see any tie-in between PWSweather and WeatherForYou.com. The only way I know is the tiny link in the footer of the PWSweather web page.
The pages are about the stations, not about the sponsors.  So the only time you see our logos is on the home page.  And then there's an explanation about us in the FAQs.

What I'd like to see? I've asked before about how to add the weather history on my page like is done in Weather Display, but never got a reply.
Sorry I missed any requests about that.  Are you talking about your station's history?  Or the "This Date in Weather History" like at http://www.weatherforyou.com/weather_history/?  I still have messages between us about the latter, but thought it kind of ended when you weren't sure if you could use a MySQL or flat file database.  I just got done adding a bunch more recent events to the database.  I'd be glad to make that available to anyone that wants to use it.

The forecasts for adding on our sites are great, and I appreciate you offering them for our use. Perhaps other tools along these lines for adding UV, moon phase, etc. on our web pages? I see a lot of neat features on other web pages that I like, but can't add because they are built to work with specific weather software.
Good ideas.  Actually I have a pending request from a client for the moon phase, so I'll probably have that out within a couple weeks.

Thanks for hanging in there, and thanks for asking,
Thanks for your ideas on more ways we can serve the personal weather community.  After all, when all the big sites thought personal weather stations weren't "relevant" in 1998 that started the whole thing.  Serving the PWS community is still a top goal.  :D
Joe Torsitano

Offline weatherforyou

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2012, 02:59:25 AM »
Perhaps you should consider getting someone to make an app or a widget for PWS or WFY for smart phones.  I have one for WU that shows my station.
I've been re-working the mobile version of WFY and will probably turn that into an app or widget as well.  And then I have a different plan for a PWS widget.  Unfortunately that's another area where I'm not that knowledgeable so will need to find someone who is that we can afford.  And the app store users are so vicious with their ratings I don't want to try and make something that would reflect badly on the PWS community (or us).  WU didn't make the one you mentioned, a fan of their's did.  That's what I'm trying to get to... a site with fans with expertise like that which want to help.  :)  Funny thing is, WU could much more easily afford to do something like that than us but fans do it for them for free. :P

(note the change in sticker in signature!  :)  )
Noted.  Thanks much!  :D
Joe Torsitano

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2012, 05:23:32 AM »
Joe if you are worried about the App Store users or Google play users just release those apps here first. You have a whole community that could work out the kinks.
Then if it doesn't work out we could be mean and nasty. :grin:

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2012, 07:32:32 AM »
I understand your frustrations with the way things turned out with HAMweather.  However HAMweather continues to donate an amount of programming expertise I could never afford (and no one else has donated).  They also share all the costs associated with the program (servers, bandwidth, etc.).  Lee also made sure WeatherForYou.com continued to have access to web weather products, old and new, as we had for years before the merger.  Lee has been very good to PWSweather.com and WeatherForYou.com.  I continue to administer a number of their servers as they provide products for WeatherForYou.com among others so it's in my best interest to make sure those servers are running right.  Splitting from HAMweather really isn't an option on both a personal and professional level.

I really don't think you do understand Joe. If you wish to continue to grow and prosper, you'll need to be done with them. Because, sooner or later they will screw you over just like they did the rest of us. Where will that leave you then?

<sigh>
www.theamericanflagstore.com - The American Flag Store

www.nhweatherdata.com - NH Weather Data

Offline smorris

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Long Road Station
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2012, 09:18:31 AM »
Sorry I missed any requests about that.  Are you talking about your station's history?  Or the "This Date in Weather History" like at http://www.weatherforyou.com/weather_history/?  I still have messages between us about the latter, but thought it kind of ended when you weren't sure if you could use a MySQL or flat file database.  I just got done adding a bunch more recent events to the database.  I'd be glad to make that available to anyone that wants to use it.

I'm terribly sorry, Joe. I must have been confusing our prior conversation with something else completely. We definitely did discuss using "This Date in Weather History", and you did offer a solution. My recollection is that I didn't (and still don't) understand how to use the information to get the data onto my web page. That's completely irrelevant to this discussion. I'm sorry for the confusion.
Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus w/FARS, Leaf & Soil Station

CWOP • WU • AWEKAS • CoCoRaHS • Skywarn • MWWN • UK Met • PWS • WeatherBug • TwitterFacebook

Offline Dr Obbins

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2012, 10:39:42 AM »
I provide my data to WU and they let me use the following resources for free:
#1 Radars
http://www.cavecountryweather.com/radar.php#regonradar
http://www.cavecountryweather.com/areaweather.php
#2 Historical data and graphing
http://www.cavecountryweather.com/history.php
http://www.cavecountryweather.com/wxwugraphs.php
#3 WD pulls data for:
$WUmaxtemp    89.0            Todays average max temperature from the selected Wunderground almanac station
$WUmintemp    67.0            Todays average min temperature from the selected Wunderground almanac station
$WUmaxtempr    102.0    Todays record max temperature from the selected Wunderground almanac station
$WUmintempr    52.0;    Todays record min temperature from the selected Wunderground almanac station

Can Weather For You do the same? Currently I have no reason to ditch WU, but we will see what the future brings.

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2012, 11:22:28 AM »
Joe, how about the ability to show a photo of of the weather station and its surroundings?  Encourage contributors to show more than just a photo of the anemometer in the air.

The ability to show a larger map of the regional PWSes such as something like this: http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/?lat=39.41600&lon=-119.79500&zoom=12&type=ter&units=english&rad=0&wxsn=1&wxsn.mode=tw&svr=0&cams=0&sat=0&riv=0&mm=0&hur=0&fire=0&tor=0&ndfd=0&pix=0 would be better than the tiny, boxed maps available now.  You could trump then WU by allowing the viewer to delete the unreliable stations (ones that apparently have poor radiation shielding, poor sensors, poor locations, etc.) from that map view.
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline ALITTLEweird1

• Mark
  • Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • North Bend Weather
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2012, 07:10:29 PM »
What about adding Solar readings to the history page, or cloud cover conditions.. i.e cloudy, overcast..etc

If there was a script like the WU one that someone made, Id use it.

http://www.snoqualmieweather.com/wxwunderground.php

"Nature can do without man, but man cannot do without nature."

Software: WeatherDisplay
Hardware: Davis VP2 + VP2 Solar + VP2 UV + Lightning Detector + Logitech Webcam + Soil temp + Soil Moisture

Offline weatherforyou

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2012, 07:52:48 PM »

I really don't think you do understand Joe. If you wish to continue to grow and prosper, you'll need to be done with them. Because, sooner or later they will screw you over just like they did the rest of us. Where will that leave you then?

<sigh>

There isn't any legal ties between HAMweather or WeatherNation and WeatherForYou.com.  If tomorrow they said they'd no longer be partnering with me it wouldn't affect WeatherForYou.com.  I'd just become a customer for any of the products I'm using.  As for PWSweather, the server is in my name.  At this time they don't even have the login information for it.  If I had to cover all the costs of operation myself I could and would.  I would have to find new programming resources for future growth.  And they'd need to find someone with all the information on their servers.  We both have vulnerabilities.
Joe Torsitano

anything