Author Topic: WS1090 and added the SRS100LX  (Read 3575 times)

Offline dman7800

WS1090 and added the SRS100LX
« on: March 18, 2012, 03:36:59 PM »
Hey all, I had a question for everyone.  Just got my WS1090 and added the SRS100LX.  I have attached a picture as it describes a million words. 

My question is this.  Am I better off leaving the thermo-hydro transmitter with the shield on the pole or under the eve of the garage?  My temps seem to be running a degree or two higher than the area.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
Re: WS1090 and added the SRS100LX
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 05:40:03 PM »
Leave it there for a week and compare to the area.  Then move it to the other place for a week and compare.  I had holes all in my yard from where I moved sensors around when I first got mine.  :)  But you have to give it time and see what the average is.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 07:13:12 PM »
Hey all, I had a question for everyone.  Just got my WS1090 and added the SRS100LX.  I have attached a picture as it describes a million words.  

My question is this.  Am I better off leaving the thermo-hydro transmitter with the shield on the pole or under the eve of the garage?  My temps seem to be running a degree or two higher than the area.

Is there an option for "plan C", thermo/hygro sensor away from the house completely and out in the open over a grassy area? (see:   http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/coop/standard.htm )
That shield upgrade was a good move on your part.

Besides NWS recommended guidelines stating this for siting, I have 2 stations running and one (D4009) is placed close as I can find to this suggested location. About 1/2 mile down the road is an airport METAR reporting station (VTCC) that I compare to. For a test I first set both of my stations out over the grass to get an idea how they would measure (1st pic). Now I have one of my stations under the eave on the north side of the house (D2642, second pic). You can see where the mid-day and afternoon sun that warms the ground below the "out-in-the-open" location is missed by mounting under the eave and out of the sun.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 08:14:53 PM by DanS »

Offline dman7800

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 11:10:04 PM »
Yeah, in the summer the north side its on does stay shady.  I may just stick it under the eve next weekend.  I did notice I was on track with some in the area, some same and some 4 degrees cooler.

My yard is big but does go down to a natural swail which goes approx 6' below the house foundation so I was worried the winds wouldn't register right.  The height here is about 6' above roof lines.  
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 01:57:06 PM by dman7800 »

Offline Stetson1

• Cordera Weather
  • Forecaster
    • Cordera Weather
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 02:26:13 PM »
Every setup is a compromise. My unit sits just under the north side eave of my house. I extended the cable for the anemometer and put it 8 feet above my roof line to get the wind correct. Is my placement perfect, no. Given my small yard and all the trees around it is the best I can do, on the upside it is within a degree of a VP2 a mile away that is placed out in the open so I decided to keep it where it is. Perfect is the enemy of good as the saying goes.

Todd

Offline jimmy1913

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 06:37:40 PM »
Hey all, I had a question for everyone.  Just got my WS1090 and added the SRS100LX.  I have attached a picture as it describes a million words. 

My question is this.  Am I better off leaving the thermo-hydro transmitter with the shield on the pole or under the eve of the garage?  My temps seem to be running a degree or two higher than the area.
I painted the inside of the plate's flat black dropped my temps around 2 degrees!