Author Topic: Acurite and WU reporting  (Read 1266 times)

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
Acurite and WU reporting
« on: January 25, 2018, 02:49:39 PM »
Figured I'd post this here given the activity in the WU forum.

On my WU graphs, the information is updated about every 5 minutes. This pretty much mirrors what I see on MyAcurite. However, I'm seeing next to the "Current Conditions" section on the WU page, the updates happening every X# of seconds...less than one minute intervals. If the Access or SmartHub only sends data in minute/multiple minute intervals, how is WU getting data in less than one minute intervals?
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
Re: Acurite and WU reporting
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 03:29:16 PM »
Figured I'd post this here given the activity in the WU forum.

On my WU graphs, the information is updated about every 5 minutes. This pretty much mirrors what I see on MyAcurite. However, I'm seeing next to the "Current Conditions" section on the WU page, the updates happening every X# of seconds...less than one minute intervals. If the Access or SmartHub only sends data in minute/multiple minute intervals, how is WU getting data in less than one minute intervals?

Data is sent to wunderground via "rapidfire".  For a 5n1 sensor on a SmartHUB, that means updates every 36 seconds.

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 03:46:35 PM »
Thanks George! So a different interval than MyAcurite...interesting!
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 03:50:53 PM »
Thanks George! So a different interval than MyAcurite...interesting!

There it gets complicated...

On a SmartHUB, data is sent "real-time", but myAcurite only updates every 5 minutes.

On the Access, data is bundled from all sensors and sent to myAcurite every 5 minutes.

I guess they set up the Access that way to cut down on traffic load and make the data easier for their servers to ingest.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 04:06:26 PM »
The access should be reporting to Wunderground at about 20 sec. and not 38.

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 08:44:28 AM »
It seems that the Access does rapid fire a bit better than the hub. However, I'll check that this weekend when I set up my second access at a different location. I'll then see if the rapid fire intervals are the same between the two.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 10:38:47 AM »
You mean 36?

And your saying the access reports faster at 20 sec. intervals??
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2018, 10:54:45 AM »
You mean 36?

And your saying the access reports faster at 20 sec. intervals??

It's probably 18 seconds.  That's the wind data update rate for the 5n1.

In the SmartHUB, they chose 36 seconds for the update because that's how long it takes to get a complete set of weather data.  The 5n1 emits 2 types of data packets alternating every 18 seconds.  One has wind speed, wind direction, and rainfall data.  The other has wind speed, temp, and humidity.

If you don't send wunderground a complete set of data, things can get screwy, so that's why they settled on 36 seconds.  However, if you buffer the data you can construct a complete data set every 18 seconds it will make wunderground happy.  I was doing it years ago with my programs and scripts so it definitely doable.

I imagine that's what they might be doing in the Access for the 5n1.  When I get my "production" Access I'll be able to verify it in the data flow.