Author Topic: "In-Use" error detection for T/H sensor?  (Read 3148 times)

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
"In-Use" error detection for T/H sensor?
« on: April 17, 2016, 09:18:50 PM »
OK, I just swapped out the original SHT11 T/H sensor in my VP2 for a new SHT15 T/H sensor, and I'm wondering WHAT the consensus thoughts are on *HOW* to determine *IF* corrective offset(s) are needed?

So far, I have been collecting and recording daily 3-day and 7-day 'average mean error' and 'average standard deviation error' values...BUT...that assumes (I know, I know) the NWS/MADIS comparison values are 100% correct (cough, cough).
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 10:08:00 PM by Old Tele man »
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: "In-Use" error detection for T/H sensor?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 09:50:08 PM »
Earles, forget Gladstone, set your correction factor at zero, then simply monitor. I left my 15 at zero and it rocked, at least temp wise, but the 31 kills it on humidity/dew. But most of all, get a FAN.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 10:19:21 PM »
Keep an eye on KAVQ the nearest airport. You are running about 2.4 on average above this location. I wouldn't look at other CWOP data being you don't know the quality of what your getting just stick with the airport.

Here is link to 3 day average currently +2.4F. Look at bottom this page. Watch it over the coming days and see if the 2.4 drops, stays the same or goes up.   Look at KAVQ   http://weather.gladstonefamily.net/site/D6988?days=3#Data
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 10:33:10 PM »
Yes, but I like using the airports for comparison unless I know how well the CWOP station is setup and calibrated so basically I only trust my instruments and the airports.

The elevation difference is calculated into the bias so don't worry about elevation. When I was in Page Az. at 4300' I was being compared with Flagstaff and Grand Canyon and the bias was never that high. 
Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 10:53:20 PM »
My station is FARS equipped.
I'm surprised to read that as I've seen some toasty readings. The only other thing MUCH more important than the sensor, is sitting, as the best sensor will only tell you how correct your error is. You mentioned rocks and such?

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 10:58:50 PM »
I only *half* agree -- I neither trust nor use their temp (grossly different locales) only their dewpoint, which is (usually) very consistent over relatively large geographic areas.
I personally wouldn't say "neither trust or use their temp.", but certainly agree with the dew consistency.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2016, 11:00:59 PM »
See for yourself, "...rocks and sand..." (wink,wink)

Welp then, it is what it is.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2016, 11:17:14 PM »
Looking at the airport I can see its located in a farming area with little concrete and other heat producing structures. I'm in town also but the terrain is so different and much greener so guess your just stuck with what you have. My offset from the airport is usually near 0. 
Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2016, 12:26:55 AM »
Looking at the airport I can see its located in a farming area with little concrete and other heat producing structures. I'm in town also but the terrain is so different and much greener so guess your just stuck with what you have. My offset from the airport is usually near 0.
On nights when the farmers irrigate their fields, you can SEE the KAVQ RH-numbers climb noticeably.
Ha! My console notices when I open the dishwasher to let them air dry from 20' away. :-P

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2016, 09:51:14 PM »
On nights when the farmers irrigate their fields, you can SEE the KAVQ RH-numbers climb noticeably.
Ha! My console notices when I open the dishwasher to let them air dry from 20' away. :-P
Wife has severe nose-bleed problems, so we keep an "indoor mister" running almost all the time in a futile attempt to keep the in-the-house humidity levels above 20%RH, which our current outdoor readings of 5-10%RH definitely do NOT help!
Oh how I feel your pain. I prefer around 40% indoors here, (yeah, right :roll:), but have found myself boiling water for a couple hours to help, which it does, at least for a few hours...

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2016, 10:01:13 PM »
Sinus problems cleared up after leaving the very dry northern Az desert. New ones popped up however   :-(.  Oh love getting old....
Randy