Author Topic: VP2 quit uploading to my web page  (Read 1970 times)

Offline Galaxyhunter

• Hawkeye Observatory
VP2 quit uploading to my web page
« on: February 03, 2018, 08:24:28 PM »
I have had my VP2 station since Feb 2010.  In all this time, I have been able to upload info to my web page.  One day last April, It just quit uploading.  There wasn't any configuration changes, or Web hosting site changes or my ISP.  I contacted Davis Tech department, & there tried for about a week (so they said) but couldn't find any problems & said it must be the web hosting service not allowing any file uploads.  I know that it is (was) connecting to my web page because I would intentionally have the wrong upload directory (in the setup page) &  the upload program would create that directory, so I know that it would connect.  It just wont upload any files.

Here is a clip from the download log file

02/03/18  7:05p (Hawkeye Observatory) Upload of Data Upload Profile(s) 1  partially completed. See error messages below.
 02/03/18  7:05p (FTP) Error (0) uploading file "NOAAMO.TXT" to location "public_html\Weather\".
 02/03/18  7:05p Error (text given below) while uploading file "NOAAMO.TXT" to location "public_html\Weather\". WeatherLink will reset the FTP connection and try again.
 02/03/18  7:05p (FTP) 200 TYPE is now 8-bit binary

500 I won't open a connection to 10.0.1.202 (only to 50.109.132.101)

500 Unknown command

I thought about uninstalling the software & reloading it as a "Start Over",  But I can't find my copy of Weatherlink 6.0.3.  I have the disk version 5.9 that came with the station.
Any ideas of where to start looking for this problem????

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: VP2 quit uploading to my web page
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 09:01:02 PM »
I have no idea if this will help with your particular problem, but here ya go.
http://toolbox.davisnet.com/downloads/weather/software/WL_6_0_3_fullinstall/6_0_3_full_install.zip

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 09:37:30 PM »
I take it then that this is via USB (using WeatherLink?) and not WLIP? For it to work then stop sounds more like something in the network than the software?

Offline Galaxyhunter

• Hawkeye Observatory
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 01:40:32 AM »

Offline Galaxyhunter

• Hawkeye Observatory
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 01:47:11 AM »
I take it then that this is via USB (using WeatherLink?) and not WLIP? For it to work then stop sounds more like something in the network than the software?

It still uploads to Weather Underground.   It still connects to my web page, as it will auto make a directory that is not there.   I did change Web hosting service since that problem started.    "WLIP" ???? Don't know what that is

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 01:56:47 AM »

It still uploads to Weather Underground.   It still connects to my web page, as it will auto make a directory that is not there.   I did change Web hosting service since that problem started.    "WLIP" ???? Don't know what that is

"WLIP" WeatherLink IP logger which will upload direct to WeatherLink.com simply by connecting to a router and not requiring a PC

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2018, 03:36:18 AM »
I won't say never, but reinstalling WL is rarely the answer to any problem like this. Clearly something, probably on the target server, is blocking the attempts that WL makes to upload files.

Can you upload files manually to the correct server location with a standalone FTP client like Filezilla?
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Galaxyhunter

• Hawkeye Observatory
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2018, 08:20:13 AM »
I won't say never, but reinstalling WL is rarely the answer to any problem like this. Clearly something, probably on the target server, is blocking the attempts that WL makes to upload files.

Can you upload files manually to the correct server location with a standalone FTP client like Filezilla?

Yes I can.

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2018, 08:26:56 AM »
What program are you using to upload with and how often were the uploads? I"m wondering if your ISP flagged IP address with that amount of uploads as looking like a DDOS attack.

OR.....

What OS do you have on your computer? If it s Windows 10, it could be a firewall issue, and/or an antivirus firewall issue, etc.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 08:34:13 AM by sacreyweather »
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2018, 08:34:30 AM »
Yes I can.

OK, let me be more specific: Can you upload manually (with eg Filezilla) the complete set of files, including any image files, that WL is attempting to upload and to the same target server directory? There could also be a corrupted file on the server that is stopping the process.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Galaxyhunter

• Hawkeye Observatory
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2018, 09:45:10 AM »
What program are you using to upload with and how often were the uploads? I"m wondering if your ISP flagged IP address with that amount of uploads as looking like a DDOS attack.

OR.....

What OS do you have on your computer? If it s Windows 10, it could be a firewall issue, and/or an antivirus firewall issue, etc.

I'm using the built in Internet transfer (pic below).  Computer OS = Win7 x64

Offline Galaxyhunter

• Hawkeye Observatory
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2018, 09:49:16 AM »
Yes I can.

OK, let me be more specific: Can you upload manually (with eg Filezilla) the complete set of files, including any image files, that WL is attempting to upload and to the same target server directory? There could also be a corrupted file on the server that is stopping the process.

I'm using Filezilla to manually upload files & I have no problem with doing that.  I uploaded new info last night.  My Weather page = http://hawkeye-observatory.com/Weather/HW.html

Offline Galaxyhunter

• Hawkeye Observatory
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2018, 09:52:47 AM »
Is there a FTP program (third party) that I can program to automatically upload files on a timed basis?

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
    • My PWS at Leuven Belgium Europe
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2018, 10:03:13 AM »

OR.....

In that image the "Internet Transfer" is switched off.
Is that correct?

. . . shortened . . .

FTP connection and try again.

500 Unknown command
. . . shortened . . .
That 500 error is normally caused by using active FTP connection between weatherlink.exe and your server.
Please check if on  weatherlink.exe "internet connection settings" the "Use passive mode " is checked.
It normally (99/100) should be checked

Wim
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 11:08:19 AM by wvdkuil »

Offline LABob

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2018, 11:00:43 AM »
That 500 error is normally caused by using active FTP connection between weatherlink.exe and your server.
Please check if on  weatherlink.exe "internet connection settings" the "Use passive mode " is checked.
It probably should be checked

Wim

FTP is a weird protocol. If you're using ACTIVE mode, when you connect to an FTP server it tries to connect back to you. When you're behind a typical WiFi router (or on any LAN that does NAT) that connection typically fails. PASSIVE mode tells the server not to try and connect back to you. That's a bit of an oversimplification, but the basics are there.

Some of the better consumer routers recognize FTP connections and allow the reverse connection to happen, but many don't. It could be that the problem started happening when you upgraded your router or its firmware.

Offline Galaxyhunter

• Hawkeye Observatory
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2018, 12:47:25 PM »

OR.....

In that image the "Internet Transfer" is switched off.
Is that correct?

. . . shortened . . .

FTP connection and try again.

500 Unknown command
. . . shortened . . .
It normally (99/100) should be checked

Wim

Yes it was,  I was testing a second computer at the time.

Offline LABob

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2018, 12:51:31 PM »
Yes it was,  I was testing a second computer at the time.

That error refusing to connect to a 10.0.0.0/8 address really suggests that either you or the server is behind a NAT firewall. Can you attempt to connect and post the entire FTP log?

Offline Galaxyhunter

• Hawkeye Observatory
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2018, 12:57:00 PM »
It probably should be checked

Wim

FTP is a weird protocol. If you're using ACTIVE mode, when you connect to an FTP server it tries to connect back to you. When you're behind a typical WiFi router (or on any LAN that does NAT) that connection typically fails. PASSIVE mode tells the server not to try and connect back to you. That's a bit of an oversimplification, but the basics are there.

Some of the better consumer routers recognize FTP connections and allow the reverse connection to happen, but many don't. It could be that the problem started happening when you upgraded your router or its firmware.

Great call wvdkuil & LABob.   I checked that box it is working now. \:D/   The thing is, I never changed that box in all the years I have had the weather station & it stopped working in the afternoon while I was at work.  You would think this is something that Davis tech department would have picked up on???