Author Topic: WS-1001 Clone - frequency and reset options  (Read 1237 times)

Offline Aussie Susan

WS-1001 Clone - frequency and reset options
« on: August 19, 2017, 08:42:21 PM »
I was interested in a comment in the post:
http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=32189.msg330554#msg330554
where Rychu commented that the outdoor sensor unit used the 433MHz, 866MHz and 915MHz "...carried all three bands simultaneously".
My situation is that my outside unit has twice now required being reset because it has stopped communicating with the console. In both cases it was shortly after I was using the 70cm band to transmit (I'm a radio amateur: VK3ANZ) and I'm suspicious that my transmissions stopped it working although I have not had the opportunity (yet) to test if this is actually the cause of the problem.
As I want to stop this from happening in the future, I was wondering if there was some way to move to the 915MHz band.
Now for my questions:

1) Is there a way to use the same console and outdoor sensor on another frequency? If the outdoor sensor is using all 3 frequencies simultaneously, is the console capable of using another band without a hardware "hack"?
(I know that the  firmware has different versions fort 433MHz and 915MHz but I suspect that this is not the only thing to change to move to a different band.)

2) Is there a way to remotely "reset" the outdoor unit? Being Winter here in Australia, the roof is too slippery to go onto right now to reset the unit so I'm "off air" as far as my weather station is concerned.

Susan

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
Re: WS-1001 Clone - frequency and reset options
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 07:17:50 AM »
Aussie Susan, can you see if the red led under the outdoor unit flash every 16 seconds, indication it is transmitting?

Davis VP2 6163 | WiFi Logger
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline Aussie Susan

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 10:56:27 PM »
Not an easy question to answer - I have not seen it flash but that could be due to other reasons (such as the strange angle I have to be on relative to the device to see where the led is and I an not certain I could see it flash form there, even if it did).
I'll try tonight (brrrr - standing in the cold and wet for even 16 seconds is not appealing!) and see if I can see anything but I'm really not hopeful.
Susan

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 08:37:37 AM »
Crazy idea, you have a 70cm receiver right? Have you ever heard the weather station transmit when tuned to 433MHz? It will be short blips.
Maybe you can use your receiver to listen in. Just remember the indoor unit also transmits. You might have to remove the batteries from it.

Davis VP2 6163 | WiFi Logger
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline Aussie Susan

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 01:53:37 AM »
I do but the receivers typically have a 12.5KHz (or narrower) bandwidth.
Actually one of the first things I did was to use one of my SDRs (which can have a bandwidth of several MHz) and I can see a number of LIPD signals in the area around 433.92MHz but nothing that repeats around 16 seconds (which I take it is the update frequency from the outside unit).
Susan