Author Topic: WMR968 Thermo-Hygrometer sensor replacement  (Read 7086 times)

Offline LMFR

WMR968 Thermo-Hygrometer sensor replacement
« on: January 28, 2009, 03:05:14 PM »
I own a WMR968 weather station from OS for a couple of years now, and it worked fine until four months ago, when the external Thermo-Hygro Sensor (THGR968) ceased working (the solar cell is ok, only the sensor is not working).
I live in Portugal and, until today, I was unable to get a replacement sensor from the local distributor.
I recently asked for help from the OS support team, but I was told that OS has withdrawn those sensors from market, and that there were no other compatible sensors.
May I ask for a small bit of the expertise and kindness of the members of this Forum, to help me solve this issue ? Where can I purchase this or a similar compatible sensor in Europe ?  Will the WMR968 work with a sensor from other manufacturer ?
Any help you may give me will be most apreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Kindest regards,
Luis

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
Re: WMR968 Thermo-Hygrometer sensor replacement
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 06:03:27 PM »
Surprised they said the thgr968 was taken out of service.  They still ship with a new wmr968.  Perhaps they were confused and meant the thgr 268 was withdrawn.  That is true, the thgr 122 that beaudog quoted is the replacement for the 268

So I think you go someone reading the wrong script.

Many people including myself no longer use the 968 for various reasons (for me stupidity, for others accuracy).  I use a 268 radio shack/nextech clone, but i have a thgr 123n (the cold weather version in my supply room)  The only drawback is that you cant set as "outdoor" on the console it uses up one of your channels.  But on VWS you can swap for outdoor so your site, databases and broadcast are correct.

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 04:19:19 AM »
I went with the THGR122NX as my outside sensor and it works like a champ.  The drawback is that it runs on batteries.  But it has a channel selector (I have mine working on channel 1).  And my software allows me to  substitute it for the regular channel (because my THGR968 humidity quit working).  It's inexpensive and works great.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline LMFR

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 05:23:12 PM »
Great tips, thank you guys !
I'll do some reading on the suggested replacement sensors and, meanwhile, I'll keep searching for a THGR968 allover Europe or the world.
Thanks a lot.
Luis

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 08:08:15 AM »
Just remember Luis is in Portugal, which limits some of his ebay choices.  The first link was US only, the second does ship USPS to Europe (which is way better than UPS, no ransom...) but at $29 it basically doubles the cost of the sensor.   Not sure what Portugal's local import duties are like.   $29 is not bad considering its $20 to ship across the border to Canada only another $9 gets it all the way across the pond...  Hopefully he can find it in the EU at a reasonable price....

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

anything