Author Topic: Solar Eclipse.  (Read 21138 times)

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
Re: Solar Eclipse.
« Reply #100 on: August 21, 2017, 07:46:29 PM »
Visibility was under 1/4 mile this morning you can see on loop here how low it was.
https://www.valentinenebraska.net/jwmerle2.php
Randy

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #101 on: August 21, 2017, 08:02:08 PM »
Was in the 89% zone, and the NWS Office about 5 miles away in Charleston, WV observed a 9 degree drop (88 degrees down to 79 degrees).

Looked like about an hour before sunset, plenty of light, but a little dim.

Was a neat experience.
Joe Fitzwater
Chief Meteorologist for WVNS-TV 59 in Beckley, WV

Work Page on Facebook -> www.facebook.com/meteojoe
Work Page on Twitter -> https://twitter.com/meteojoe
Waterfalls -> www.wvfalls.com

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #102 on: August 21, 2017, 09:14:56 PM »
I got clouded out. Bummer. Had been waiting for this forever. It did get dark and colder. I say 1 95% eclipse.

Guess this will be my last time to try. 

Traffic on I35 was CRAZY. But in a good way. This many people interested in science is a good thing. The road home was packed from Lathrop, MO to Bethany, MO then slow in Iowa. It took me 4 hours to get from Latrop to DSM. Should only be about 2.5 hours.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline DW7240

• Senior Contributor
    • The Vicarage Weather Feed
Re: Solar Eclipse - WHAT A FANTASTIC DAY !!!!
« Reply #103 on: August 21, 2017, 10:00:32 PM »
here you go folks, my contribution (small amount from over 150 shots....from Canada.....
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline DW7240

• Senior Contributor
    • The Vicarage Weather Feed
« Reply #104 on: August 21, 2017, 10:02:29 PM »
part 2....
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #105 on: August 21, 2017, 11:45:06 PM »
Unfortunately there was a double fatal accident only 2 miles west of Valentine this morning on HW 20 which is a hop skip and jump  into Wyoming. I have a feeling one vehicle from Minnesota was heading west toward clear skies in Wyoming this morning.  Only speculation but with an event this large very possible.

http://kvsh.com/index.php/2017/08/21/fatal-two-vehicle-accident-west-of-valentine/

MPLS paper tonight

Rosemount woman studying in Omaha killed in eclipse traffic
AUGUST 21, 2017 — 10:02PM
TEXT SIZE
EMAIL
PRINT
MORE
A 19-year-old woman from Rosemount, who was about to start her sophomore year at Creighton University in Omaha, was killed Monday in a multivehicle crash on Interstate 80 in Omaha.

Joan Ocampo-Yambing was in the back seat of a Toyota Prius with three other Creighton students on I-80 when a semitrailer truck driver failed to notice that traffic had slowed down. The truck struck the back of the Prius, according to a news release from Omaha police.

The semi then hit another car and came to rest on top of it. That car hit the back of a roll-off trailer being pulled by another semi, police said.

The four students in the Prius and two people in the other car were taken to the hospital. Ocampo-Yambing died there. The others had injuries ranging from serious to critical, police said.

The accident happened shortly before 10 a.m. The Omaha World Herald reported Monday that traffic on I-80 was backed up with cars headed to see the eclipse.

In another story, the newspaper reported that Ocampo-Yambing was a computer science major who would have started her sophomore year this week. She boasted last week on Twitter about self-publishing a book of her poetry.

More than 800 people showed up at the Creighton campus Monday night for a memorial service for Ocampo-Yambing.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #106 on: August 22, 2017, 12:16:05 AM »
Almost 90% coverage here with about a 3.5 degrees temp dip.  That and the somewhat dimmed afternoon sky was interesting.

http://www.stwnewspress.com/news/stillwater-residents-share-glasses-memories-and-moonpies-during-eclipse/article_c929c126-8e0f-57ff-980f-c2b93801ae59.html

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: Solar Eclipse - WHAT A FANTASTIC DAY !!!!
« Reply #107 on: August 22, 2017, 03:22:38 AM »
here you go folks, my contribution (small amount from over 150 shots....from Canada.....

Well done! Looks like you had some good viewing conditions.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #108 on: August 22, 2017, 08:46:07 AM »
When I was outside during the event I actually saw very little difference (without actually looking at the sun as I had no eye protection) as we were not in the 100% path but I guess enough solar energy change that my Blake-Larsen Sunrecorder did not indicate any sunshine from about 1:45 to 3:30 pm even though it was mainly sunny during that whole time the same as the hours before and after.  The attached graph shows the sunshine detected (or not detected) by the B-L.

Paul

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #109 on: August 22, 2017, 09:10:23 AM »
Niece and friend watched from Missouri area and loved it she reported, and would do again. They drove 25 hours round trip from Houston for 2 minutes of full eclipse.

Jasiu Stapleton did clear off for good eclipse but they were really worried even the NWS forecast office said it was touch and go if clouds would clear in time.

Reports of traffic being worse than coming out of a Husker game with area never experiencing this much traffic.
Randy

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #110 on: August 22, 2017, 09:29:37 AM »
I had sent my graphs to Ole, the co-creator of the Blake-Larsen Sunrecorder, http://www.sunrecorder.net/ and I guess I am a record setter :roll:
This is his reply:
Hi Paul,
That’s awesome – first time a BL sun recorder could see a partly eclipse ever.
According NASA the eclipse was about 70% at your place in Canada and the signal drop is very exactly at the time where you had maximum eclipse.

The sensor signal dropped by 20% - wonder what it would have been at a total eclipse.

I don’t know where and when he next total eclipse occurs, but will investigate and do some marketing work 😊

Best regards

Ole

Paul

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #111 on: August 22, 2017, 09:39:12 AM »
 interesting Paul.. 8-)
Randy

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #112 on: August 22, 2017, 09:40:25 AM »

I don’t know where and when he next total eclipse occurs,

Paul

2024 should be almost over you, but I don't know where others might be before then.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #113 on: August 22, 2017, 09:47:24 AM »
Segment from Denver news crew at Stapleton before the eclipse yesterday morning.

http://www.9news.com/news/eclipse/is-there-eclipse-traffic-in-nebraska/465813087
Randy

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #114 on: August 22, 2017, 11:56:17 AM »
Was in the 89% zone, and the NWS Office about 5 miles away in Charleston, WV observed a 9 degree drop (88 degrees down to 79 degrees).

Looked like about an hour before sunset, plenty of light, but a little dim.

Was a neat experience.

We were in the 89% also in Oklahoma, my station recorded about a 2.6 degree temperature drop.  Not as drastic but I do live in a medium to large metro area (Tulsa metro is creeping up on 1,000,000 population if it hasn't already made it there).
Current setup: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #115 on: August 22, 2017, 11:57:29 AM »

I don’t know where and when he next total eclipse occurs,

Paul

2024 should be almost over you, but I don't know where others might be before then.

I think where I'm at will be 98% (I don't live far from the track of totality obviously).  Close enough I could drive two hours and be there.
Current setup: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline Tarma

• Weber Canyon Weather
« Reply #116 on: August 22, 2017, 11:58:53 AM »
It was about 91% here, but I thought my graph was interesting. (I headed north to Idaho for the event)

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #117 on: August 22, 2017, 12:18:54 PM »
Here is pdf from climate reference stations, 6 were located under full eclipse. https://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/uscrn/publications/events/Total%20Eclipse%202017.pdf

Randy

Offline Jasiu

• Forecaster
    • LexMAWeather
« Reply #118 on: August 22, 2017, 12:39:23 PM »
Responding to a few different threads here...

Re: Minnesota: People parked on both sides of me in Casper were from Minnesota. Both families had driven to Nebraska first and changed plans at the last minute to get to Wyoming.

Valentine: Glad to hear that Stapleton cleared up!!

Traffic: I was so focused on getting to see the totality that it didn't even occur to me to factor in traffic afterward.  The only two ways south out of Casper were at a standstill. I-25 was a parking lot all the way into Colorado.  I delayed driving until after 9pm (hanging out at a rest area - people were camping and making the best of it) and it still took me 5.5 hours to get to Denver. Operating now on 4 hours of sleep after 22 awake.

Totality: For those who have never seen (actually, "experienced" is a better word) totality, it's worth the effort, even though it is waaaay too short!  It's really a separate event from the partial eclipse - no comparison in what you see / feel.
https://lexmaweather.info
On Mastodon: @LexMAWeather@toot.community

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #119 on: August 22, 2017, 07:36:16 PM »
Here's the temp graph from north central Florida.
We were about 85%. If you didn't know it was happening you probably couldn't tell by the light because it wasn't that noticeable.
However when standing outside when we were at maximum the heat radiating from the sun was more like January. Not the sweltering August sun which feels like a blow torch.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #120 on: August 22, 2017, 07:48:44 PM »
Eclipse-related but slightly OT:  http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/atlantic-salmon-released-cooke-aquaculture-1.4257369  Now I can tell my wife the mistakes I made yesterday were the result of celestial alignment.  ;)
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline up10ad N9RJH

• USA Weather Finder
  • WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
  • Station will be back up someday...
    • Forecaster without a site
« Reply #121 on: August 24, 2017, 05:18:36 PM »
In my area we only had 74% coverage, but I still took some pics. Can't see much in the actual sun pic, but the iPhone 7 Plus lens flare clearly displayed the transit.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Rick (N9RJH)
Have you joined USAWeatherFinder.com yet?

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Weather - Photography - Astronomy - Computer Admin
  • Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
« Reply #122 on: March 08, 2018, 08:07:58 PM »
Greetings, I was fortunate enough to get an invitation to a very secluded location in Central Oregon with about a half dozen astrophotographers.
Each of us a different job and mine was to get corona photos...

Best photo of mine and a video compilation:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9sdcCfW9zL6P5mxl1

https://youtu.be/DcBRldO5sPk

Randall

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #123 on: March 08, 2018, 08:47:01 PM »
Congratulations Randall, those are fabulous!

Paul

anything