Author Topic: Davis WeatherLink IP **solved**  (Read 2462 times)

Offline captgadget

• Forecaster
Davis WeatherLink IP **solved**
« on: September 25, 2017, 09:59:17 AM »
I'm going to try to phrase this so I don't miss anything. So if I go the IP route would the datalogger connect to the Meteobridge? If so will this transmit information to the Davis WeatherLink map and to the mobile app? And would the PC have to be running in order for this to work?

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
    • My PWS at Leuven Belgium Europe
Re: Davis WeatherLink IP
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 10:51:43 AM »
I'm going to try to phrase this so I don't miss anything. So if I go the IP route would the datalogger connect to the Meteobridge? If so will this transmit information to the Davis WeatherLink map and to the mobile app? And would the PC have to be running in order for this to work?

Console + WL-IP logger => to your LAN, it is not a WiFi connection but a RJ45 for a LAN
It will get an IP address, example 192.168.1.250 from your router.
It will sent its data every so many minutes to Weatherlink.com

Meteobridge is alreadyconnected to your lan (or Wifi),
And has gotten an ip-address from your router, example 192.1681.17

At the setup weather-station tab in your Meteobridge you
1.select the IP model and
2. set the ip-adress to the WLIP, as in this example it is 192.168.1.250

You also set the "lets the WLIP do its upload"-time by selecting in the dropdown box, example 5 minutes

Without blocking your WLIP, the Meteobridge will do all uploads to WU and so on,
And uploads to one or more of your website(s).
And sent mails and do all other nice MB things.

The WLIP will upload to Weatherlink.com every 1 or 5 minutes.
Weatherlink.com is able to upload to WU also, but at an every 15minute interval only.

My website  is at https://weer.sluispark.be/index.php?lang=en
It uses a WLIP and the weather-data is loaded from Weatherlink.com also.
If I need faster uploads to the website (at my other site) I use the Meteobridge.

Succes, Wim

« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 10:55:47 AM by wvdkuil »

Offline captgadget

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 12:05:35 PM »
Let me double check myself. Data logger>Vantage Vue>Data Logger then goes to my router, not the Meteobridge? And the Meteobridge through the setup page will pick up the data.

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 12:21:37 PM »
Let me double check myself. Data logger>Vantage Vue>Data Logger then goes to my router, not the Meteobridge? And the Meteobridge through the setup page will pick up the data.
Inside your Davis console there is 1 logger connector.
You plug on that connector only 1 logger, and in your first post you mentioned "I go the IP route", I assumed the Davis WLIP-logger.
The cable of that logger has a RJ45 connector and that goes into your LAN.

Your Meteobridge has also its own network cable into your LAN, or it uses WiFi, does not matter.

They talk to each other using your local network = LAN + WiFi-lan.
They can also both  talk to the internet to upload your data.

===

If I misunderstood your first post, and you do not have (or want to buy) a WLIP but use a more common used USB logger, then you can only upload to WeatherLink.com by
1. using a PC  24/7 +
2. run on that PC the Weatherlink program (standard delivered with  any Davis logger) +
3. pay a yearly fee to Davis/WL.com which allows your Weatherlink Program to upload to WL.com.

But that is a strange and costly setup

===

There is also a new logger coming from Belfroy, but that is not shipping yet. It will allow to connect your console to WiFi.

Wim

Offline captgadget

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 12:26:50 PM »
The reason I did what I did was I was using a mac and they are not compatible with the IP Logger so I was doing USB. Now I converted back to Windows and now have the IP logger ordered which will be here tomorrow. That's why I'm asking. So to you the LAN is on the back of the router or modem which I have both. Correct?

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 12:37:38 PM »
The reason I did what I did was I was using a mac and they are not compatible with the IP Logger so I was doing USB. Now I converted back to Windows and now have the IP logger ordered which will be here tomorrow. That's why I'm asking. So to you the LAN is on the back of the router or modem which I have both. Correct?
Yes, so you should have ONLY ONE local network with both a cabled part (ports on the back of the router/modem) and a wiFi part aired by your router/modem also.  If the network addressing is correct, all IP addresses are in the same range, often 192.168.0.xxx or 192.168.1.xxx
Your devices (computer, MB, tablet, WLIP) can only talk when the first three parts are the same and the last part is different.

Wim

Offline captgadget

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 12:41:33 PM »
Thank you for all your support. May be needing more tomorrow after I get my new IP Logger.

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 01:00:40 PM »
Thank you for all your support. May be needing more tomorrow after I get my new IP Logger.
Just a curious question: You are using Windows now, you have an USB logger,  a Meteobridge and you run WeatherLink on the windows PC.
Why do you need a IP-logger?
Wim

Offline captgadget

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2017, 01:57:45 PM »
Because I want to send my weather to Davis so it’ll be available on weatherlink.com

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 06:20:42 PM »
There are plenty of apps that will read data files OTHER than weatherlink.com  And at a greater frequency than 15 minutes.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2017, 09:29:59 PM »
Because I want to send my weather to Davis so it’ll be available on weatherlink.com

You won't need a Meteobridge to do this. A WLIP logger comes complete with nothing else required apart from a an Ethernet connection to your router, other Davis loggers can do this but come with a yearly subscription and will require an always on computer with WeatherLink to handle the uploads. 

Offline captgadget

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2017, 11:42:59 AM »
There are plenty of apps that will read data files OTHER than weatherlink.com  And at a greater frequency than 15 minutes.

But now I should be able to have all my bases covered.

Offline captgadget

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2017, 03:30:42 PM »

Console + WL-IP logger => to your LAN, it is not a WiFi connection but a RJ45 for a LAN
It will get an IP address, example 192.168.1.250 from your router.
It will sent its data every so many minutes to Weatherlink.com

Meteobridge is alreadyconnected to your lan (or Wifi),
And has gotten an ip-address from your router, example 192.1681.17

At the setup weather-station tab in your Meteobridge you
1.select the IP model and
2. set the ip-adress to the WLIP, as in this example it is 192.168.1.250

You also set the "lets the WLIP do its upload"-time by selecting in the dropdown box, example 5 minutes

Without blocking your WLIP, the Meteobridge will do all uploads to WU and so on,
And uploads to one or more of your website(s).
And sent mails and do all other nice MB things.

The WLIP will upload to Weatherlink.com every 1 or 5 minutes.
Weatherlink.com is able to upload to WU also, but at an every 15minute interval only.

My website  is at https://weer.sluispark.be/index.php?lang=en
It uses a WLIP and the weather-data is loaded from Weatherlink.com also.
If I need faster uploads to the website (at my other site) I use the Meteobridge.

Succes, Wim

I followed all your steps and everything is working great! Even uploading to all the other sites I was using before.