Author Topic: Question about the Davis Vantage Vue  (Read 1533 times)

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
Question about the Davis Vantage Vue
« on: July 25, 2015, 11:09:23 PM »
This is for my uncle.  I own a VP2; he owns a Vue.  He was having an issue with his rain gauge registering when there was no rain..a lot of registering actually.  Initially, we blamed it on the new wireless electric meters the local EC is installing in the Tulsa metro (just put his up recently).  He went out and did some channel changing but that didn't help.  I was wondering if anyone here has heard of this issue with the spoon type bucket on this.  To stop it, for now he has removed the spoon tipper out of the ISS.

Any suggestions?  I'm not real familiar with the Vue, but told him I would ask.  Is it possible that assembly needs replacement or could the problem possibly be somewhere else and replacing it would just be a waste of time/money?

Thank you.
Current setup: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
Re: Question about the Davis Vantage Vue
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 08:12:59 AM »
I don't have a Vue but I do know wind can cause the buckets to tip on the VP2 gauge. If by removing the tipper, it stopped registering tips I would say it was wind issue. Not sure where its mounted if its up high, mounting at ground level and going with VP2 wireless anemometer would be an option.   
Randy

Offline StormCoolio

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 08:47:56 AM »
Just like the VP2, the spoon in the Vue is tipped by weight differential as rain falls and collects in the spoon.  I have had spiders make webs and that has caused some extra tipping, as well as no tipping.  As ValentineWeather said, wind can also get into the funnel and cause extra tips.

One other thing is to check what time these tips happen.  If it's early morning it could be "dew fall" from water condensing in the funnel and then each morning the weight of that dew is enough to get a daily tip.

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 09:43:18 AM »
It happens all throughout the day and it in calm winds and with wind, so I doubt it's the wind causing it.  I asked him that as well and he says it happens as soon as the sun comes up and stops when it goes down, if I'm not mistaken.  I'll inquire further about it, but pretty sure that was his report.
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 10:03:15 AM »
I would ask again because if removing the tipping spoon stops problem its obviously mechanically linked with spoon. I would think this limits possibilities like solder joint failure or shorted wire. But the fact you say it stops when sun goes down points back at solder or board issue again.
Randy

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 12:53:24 PM »
I would ask again because if removing the tipping spoon stops problem its obviously mechanically linked with spoon. I would think this limits possibilities like solder joint failure or shorted wire. But the fact you say it stops when sun goes down points back at solder or board issue again.

Just asked him, he said it was not limited to daytime hours..happened all the time.  He also just put it back on and said it started up again.  So would replacing the spoon assembly be the next step?  I've already pointed him in Ryan's direction (Scaled Instruments) should he go that route.
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 01:34:15 PM »
I read Davis suggested changing transmitter ID from 1 to something else. Not sure how that would help but just putting it out there. I would have him call Davis support Monday and go from there. If they can't help yes I would start by replacing the tipping spool assembly.
Randy

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2015, 01:36:03 PM »
I read Davis suggested changing transmitter ID from 1 to something else. Not sure how that would help but just putting it out there. I would have him call Davis support Monday and go from there. If they can't help yes I would start by replacing the tipping spool assembly.

He did that also..changing several frequencies actually.  Same result.
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I