Author Topic: Seismograph  (Read 5060 times)

Offline SpringHillWeather

• Weather Hobbyist
  • Forecaster
  • Spring Hill, Florida
    • Spring Hill
Re: Seismograph
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2016, 10:04:27 PM »
StatenIsland:  Oh crap, now another thing to read about!  I'm going to have to live to 200 to get all these things done.

That sequence was more helpful than my short search, and I think it took me right to the one tutorial that steps me through it.  I'll go read more in a bit.

I just finished telling my family that I need to live I long time to complete all the projects I want to accomplish :D

I see that RPI has many kits so I'm hooked already.  I did see one for Aviation traffic Vilros Raspberry Pi Aviation Weather & Traffic Receiver Kit but not sure if its just for aircraft and if it works well on the ground, more research.

Thanks for the info.

Saratoga
HomeWeatherStation
Meteotemplate
Homebrew
Ambient 1001 | ObserverIP | Meteobridge | MeteoPlug

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2016, 10:07:01 PM »
Irosenman:  I remember the frustration of loading the BASIC onto the -8, and having the old teletype fail.  We had the less advanced model and still remember the sound it made and the funny font it used on the yellow continuous roll.  Then did some programming on the -11 with reel to reel tape and thought that was heaven.  How I had the time (in school, no wife, no kids, etc) maybe less need for sleep. 

I deviated from the math/physics before I graduated but never lost my interest in computers, what they can do and the hardware (far beyond my comprehension now) to do it.

I still have an old Wang display box like we had for chemistry calculations, but no brains to hook it too.  My wife thinks I need t clear out some of that junk but it is a reminder of what's gone on.

That's why I hope schools are using Rasp PIs and other stuff to teach kids how to run, rather than use it.  Otherwise we'll be at the mercy of those who do know how to design and run it.

ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2016, 10:15:10 PM »
SI:  I have the flight radar 24 set up, and in the first stages when I got the little USB receiver did download a program that talked to the chip to make it a frequency agile radio.  I tuned in a local FM station, and could select many options, including bandwidth, display, etc.  I was overwhelmed, and basically for $20 plus some free software that developers and hobbiests had already developed.  I still am stuck in the world of resonate circuits and those approaches to receiving signals, which my ham radio and advanced electrical technicians say will still be the basis of stuff, but the new approaches are way beyond that now.

If you have a RPi, then the little USB thing is very easy to get for $18 to $20 and I had enormous fun playing with it before dedicating it to listening to the transponders of the aircraft flying over, now it is sort of an appliance feeding info like Jachym mentioned with the seismographs .

Oh, thinking a 'cheap' radio like the chip would give 'cheap' sound, I was equally amazed at the quality of the sound that my comuputer generated though a good set of earphones plugged into my sound card.  A local university has a low power station that does a lot of classical music in the evenings and I got caught up enjoying all the clarity and bandwidth my old ears can pick up.  It made listening to FM very enjoyable.  Much different than the limited .mp3 quality that I have gotten used to tolerating.  So if you haven't played around, it is a great thing to do.
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline SpringHillWeather

• Weather Hobbyist
  • Forecaster
  • Spring Hill, Florida
    • Spring Hill
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2016, 10:37:56 PM »
DaleReid,

Thank you very much for all the info you provided.  It was very helpful and points me in the right direction now.   

Nice to reminiscence of the old days :D

Saratoga
HomeWeatherStation
Meteotemplate
Homebrew
Ambient 1001 | ObserverIP | Meteobridge | MeteoPlug

Offline Forever

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2016, 08:52:14 AM »
Thanks for pointing this out, I have been looking for something like this.

Living in California should provide some decent results, I just hope nothing too big.

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2016, 09:31:09 AM »
Yes, I guess your location is definitely one in which it might be useful.

Offline Forever

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2017, 01:43:16 PM »
Just letting everyone know that there is a new Kickstarter campaign for an updated version of the Raspberry Shake.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1158786437/raspberry-shake-4d-detect-earthquakes-and-invisibl?ref=user_menu

Offline Forever

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2017, 07:40:14 AM »
Hi all, if you're interested there are still 2 days to get a Raspberry Shake 4D at a discount through the Kickstarter campaign.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1158786437/raspberry-shake-4d-detect-earthquakes-and-invisibl?ref=discovery

Offline K8POS

• Melvin Local Weather
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2017, 02:02:01 PM »
So for $300, I can get everything I need, minus a computer to hook it up to?
Are they eventually going to host a web site like Weather Underground to everyone can see the data from the thing?
Here in the Thumb of Michigan, earth quakes are not a big threat, but what an interesting thing to monitor and see.  Would be even nicer if the USGS stood up and took notice.  It is only free value added to their existing sensors.
Don't like my weather
Get you'r own weather stick!

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2017, 02:41:47 PM »
Yes... it is always funny to look back at what technology looked like in the past... things like that the computer responsible for landing on the Moon was way less powerfull than today's smartwatch :D

It's amazing to me since I've been involved with computers since 1971.  Amazing where we are today.  It'll be interesting to see where we are in another 30 years.
Which did you have? Apple I or II, Commodore PET, TRS-80, KIM1?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 02:43:34 PM by Old Tele man »
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2017, 03:19:29 PM »
Still have this one, but haven't started it for many years... 

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2017, 06:27:46 PM »
Still have this one, but haven't started it for many years... 

Enjoy,
Paul
That's the FIRST model with the "chicklet" keyboard, later models had normal keyboards.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2017, 07:52:11 PM »
Yep, and I wanted the numeric pad for my love of numbers :)
and also the built-in tape drive...
Haven't looked at for quite a while but think it says 1977 inside of it.  Bought it used in about 1981. 

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline K8POS

• Melvin Local Weather
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2017, 08:00:53 PM »
Gawd now I feel old
First computer I had was an Atari 800XL, and my fathers Osborn.
Don't like my weather
Get you'r own weather stick!

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2017, 08:11:45 PM »
Gawd now I feel old
First computer I had was an Atari 800XL, and my fathers Osborne.
The Osborne was a nice compact portable unit in that you could actually hand-carry it from one place to another sorta like an over-grown briefcase.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 08:29:10 PM by Old Tele man »