Author Topic: WeatherLink not creating .wlk files on new pc  (Read 1869 times)

Offline JMM411

WeatherLink not creating .wlk files on new pc
« on: May 26, 2015, 08:37:45 PM »
Hello,
I've been a member here for a long time, but I seldom post. I do enjoy reading through the forum very much, though. I'm always amazed by the wealth of knowledge here.  Tonight, I have a problem.

My station is a Vantage Pro2, wireless.  It's connected to a dedicated pc via WeatherLink serial, v5.8.3.  It's been running faithfully for almost 8 years.  Over the weekend, the pc's hard drive failed.  I bought a new Windows 7 PC, installed WeatherLink and have the station uploading to FindU and Weather Underground again.  The problem is that I don't see a folder with my station's name in the WeatherLink directory, and there is no .wlk file.  I have not copied over my backup copy of that folder from the old computer. 

While trying to create a shortcut in the WeatherLink directory to drag into the Windows Startup folder, I found Windows wouldn't allow me to create the shortcut.  I changed the permissions thinking that may have been the problem, but that doesn't seem to have been it, either.  I followed the WeatherLink install manual, checked the Help files, and looked through Davis' Knowledge Base.  I feel like I'm missing something obvious, but I can't figure out what. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Judy
CWOP - DW3370
Davis VP2, 24 Hr FARS, home-built heater
Weatherlink serial, Email-phone alert module
dedicated PC, Win 7

Offline Josiah

• Add-InWx Software Author
  • Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
Re: WeatherLink not creating .wlk files on new pc
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 09:17:55 PM »
Maybe WeatherLink needs to run with elevated privileges? e.g Try running it as Administrator.
Also, Check to make sure that your "WeatherLink" folder (The one that that the "Station Folder" is supposed to be in) isn't "Read Only".

Those are the only things that I can think of right now.
Hopefully others will chime in with more suggestions.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 10:30:07 PM »
The problem is that I don't see a folder with my station's name in the WeatherLink directory, and there is no .wlk file.
Since it is Win7 could it be hidden in Program Files folder? 

Paul

Offline JMM411

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 06:32:36 PM »
Maybe WeatherLink needs to run with elevated privileges? e.g Try running it as Administrator.
Also, Check to make sure that your "WeatherLink" folder (The one that that the "Station Folder" is supposed to be in) isn't "Read Only".

Those are the only things that I can think of right now.
Hopefully others will chime in with more suggestions.

That was it.  I had unchecked "Read Only", but it kept getting checked again.  I finally right clicked on the desktop icon -> privileges -> compatibility and checked "Run this program as an administrator".  WeatherLink started, but was completely blank under administrator, so I had to rebuild the station and configure everything again.  Now I have to figure out how to make the computer and WeatherLink restart automatically under this account in case the power goes out.

Thanks so much for your help.  I hate new computers.
CWOP - DW3370
dedicated PC, Win 7

Offline Josiah

• Add-InWx Software Author
  • Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 08:29:05 AM »
To get a program to start when a user logs in or at system start-up, use the "Task Scheduler".
Here's a tutorial with screen-shots:
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/67503-task-create-run-program-startup-log.html

Here's some other methods:
http://www.wikihow.com/Change-Startup-Programs-in-Windows-7

Offline JMM411

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 05:07:41 PM »
Thank you for the links, Josiah.  I'll give that a try tomorrow. 
CWOP - DW3370
dedicated PC, Win 7

anything