Author Topic: Precipitation - Today's Average?  (Read 3776 times)

Offline Bandit

• Haire Airport Weather
Precipitation - Today's Average?
« on: August 05, 2009, 09:44:36 PM »
I was just wondering what that is suppose to be?  It doesn't seem to represent a meaningful number/amount........I've had 0.17" of rain today yet under Today's Average, it is showing 0.93".  Also, under Currently, that number also appears to have no real meaning.......it just gradually goes down over time yet it hasn't rained in over an hour........I guess I may be missing something but it doesn't appear Precipitation has a place there in the Latest Conditions section........except maybe in the Min / Max columns.......with Min, of course, always being "0" and Max "the amount of rain fall for the day".

Just noticed the Today's Average value is still going up........
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 10:09:01 PM by Bandit »
Richard
WeatherHawk "521"

Offline weatherforyou

• Forecaster
  • My weather is on WeatherForYou.com. Is yours?
    • http://www.weatherforyou.com
Re: Precipitation - Today's Average?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 10:29:24 PM »
Different software sends rain data differently.  When the weatherforyou.com personal weather station program was set up back in 2000 the only data that was being received was "hourly" rain.  But some software defined that as in the last 60 minutes, some since the top of the hour and some since the last report was sent.  We put calculations in to try and guess what the actual rain was based on what was sent, and that was one of the items that went into the calculation.  It really didn't become evident until the data started being displayed on PWSweather.com spring of 2008.

Earlier this year we asked software authors to include a daily rain figure in the data that was sent.  Most added that in their later versions.  Within the next few months, as we do some other "bug" fixes to the system, we'll be using that as the primary rain measurement indicator and doing some further refinements to the "guessulation" for those still using older versions of software.
Joe Torsitano

Offline Bandit

• Haire Airport Weather
Re: Precipitation - Today's Average?
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 10:35:04 PM »
OH, OK.....yeah, I think I've seen those rain amount issues on other sites in the past as well........thanks for the explanation, love the site! 
Richard
WeatherHawk "521"

anything