Author Topic: Compare Ambient WeatherWS-2000 and Acurite Atlas 1007M  (Read 1648 times)

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
Compare Ambient WeatherWS-2000 and Acurite Atlas 1007M
« on: September 30, 2018, 03:36:20 PM »
I bought and installed the Acurite Atlas 1007 a few days ago; its pretty accurate, but has a few nasty flaws; endless false lightning strikes, outside barometer reading is completely inaccurate(reads 28.37, should be 29.97 or so), and, a couple other small things that I see the WS2000 has that the Acurite does not.
Has anyone else compared/purchased either of these, or done an extensive comparison on them?
Acurite support has gone from fair to almost non existant, and I am concerned down the road this might be an issue, where as Ambient Weather Support appears to be top notch..

Thanks for reading and for your suggestions!

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
Re: Compare Ambient WeatherWS-2000 and Acurite Atlas 1007M
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 03:51:38 PM »
I bought and installed the Acurite Atlas 1007 a few days ago; its pretty accurate, but has a few nasty flaws; endless false lightning strikes, outside barometer reading is completely inaccurate(reads 28.37, should be 29.97 or so), and, a couple other small things that I see the WS2000 has that the Acurite does not.
Has anyone else compared/purchased either of these, or done an extensive comparison on them?
Acurite support has gone from fair to almost non existant, and I am concerned down the road this might be an issue, where as Ambient Weather Support appears to be top notch..

Thanks for reading and for your suggestions!

There is no outside barometer.  The baro sensors are in the displays and in the Access/SmartHUB.

The displays go through a "learning period" and it will be a couple of weeks before it is reasonably on track with a sea-level type reading.

The Access/SmartHUB use either station or altimeter pressure, depending on how you set them up.

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 04:08:50 PM »
so, is it normal that my Access hub is reading 28.37 versus 29.93 on the display? The display baro reading is pretty much right on at this point, but the Access hub is way off..

should I set it  up so that it reads "station" or Altimeter" pressure?  I only want it to be reasonably accurate, and its way off at this point..having had many Acurite stations over the years, I know that their barometer readings tend to not be very accurate..

thanks again!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 04:11:24 PM by wase4711 »

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 04:36:56 PM »
so, is it normal that my Access hub is reading 28.37 versus 29.93 on the display? The display baro reading is pretty much right on at this point, but the Access hub is way off..

should I set it  up so that it reads "station" or Altimeter" pressure?  I only want it to be reasonably accurate, and its way off at this point..having had many Acurite stations over the years, I know that their barometer readings tend to not be very accurate..

thanks again!

It's most common to set the Access/SmartHUB to "adjusted" (AKA "altimeter") pressure.  Assuming the elevation for your device location is correct on Google Maps, it should then be consistent the pressure reports you hear on local TV and radio.  This setting also works best if you send data to wunderground.

If you set it to "station" pressure, you can either leave it "as-is", or add a manual adjustment to make it match a trusted pressure source.  However, your manual adjustment isn't transmitted to wunderground, so they may eventually make their own adjustment to your data.  This has been known to cause problems, so I'd avoid it.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2018, 04:49:43 PM »
I would review both of these knowledge base links:

https://kbase.myacurite.com/web/content/devices/set-elevation.htm

https://kbase.myacurite.com/web/content/devices/set-pressure-calibration.htm

Compare what you think your elevation is to what Google thinks your elevation is.
https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/javascript/examples/elevation-simple

But I'm all for an Acurite Atlas vs Ambient WS-2xxx showdown. If anyone finds these within a mile or two from each other let us know. I think the Atlas could win in terms of temperature and humidity with the SHT31 vs SHT30. However the other measurements like wind and rainfall comparison would be interesting. I recently read that the rain gauge is adjustable on the Atlas although not documented (only documented in the 5 in 1), and I'm not sure if the Ambient WS-2xxx has adjustments for rain gauge.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 07:41:51 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2018, 05:50:20 PM »
thanks, those KB links were helpful!

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2018, 06:45:22 PM »

thanks again!

It's most common to set the Access/SmartHUB to "adjusted" (AKA "altimeter") pressure.  Assuming the elevation for your device location is correct on Google Maps, it should then be consistent the pressure reports you hear on local TV and radio.  This setting also works best if you send data to wunderground.

If you set it to "station" pressure, you can either leave it "as-is", or add a manual adjustment to make it match a trusted pressure source.  However, your manual adjustment isn't transmitted to wunderground, so they may eventually make their own adjustment to your data.  This has been known to cause problems, so I'd avoid it.
George how does one find there exact elevation if it's not correct on Google Maps?
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2018, 07:35:09 PM »

thanks again!

George how does one find there exact elevation if it's not correct on Google Maps?
There are several searchable online topo maps available for my area, and for most locations I would think. That can get you within 5 to 10', then estimate and add the distance above ground level where you are mounting the pressure sensor (console or Access).
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 07:40:24 PM by alanb »
Alan - Ambient WS-2000, WH31E x5, WH31L, Ecowitt WN32(WH32E)
          Airthings Corentium Home Radon Detector 223

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2018, 07:49:53 PM »

The old fashioned way is to have it calculated by a licensed land surveyor to make sure there isn't any question about it.

Less exact is to reference old surveys, benchmarks, and topographic maps.

A hand-held GPS will get you close enough.  You might want to average several readings over time, though.

Usually the biggest errors I've seen is when Google Maps can't pin-down your location from your address.  For example, my parent's address used to be "Rural Route 1" until the county got ambitious and gave everyone an official street address.  Before that Google Maps would report the elevation of the local post office, which was three miles away and about 100 feet lower in elevation.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 08:42:11 PM by nincehelser »

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2018, 07:57:50 PM »

The old fashioned way is to have it calculated by a licensed land surveyor to make sure there isn't any question about it.

Less exact is to reference old surveys, benchmarks, and topographic maps.

A hand-held GPS will get you close enough.  You might want to average several readings over time, though.

Usually the biggest errors I've seen is when Google Maps can't pin-down your location from your address.  For example, my parent's address used to be "Rural Route 1" until the county got ambitious and gave everyone an official street address.  Before that Google Maps would report the elevation of the local post office, which was three miles away and about 1000 feet lower in elevation.
Ok thanks, I read that and it got me thinking, I searched a few online sites for elevation and got some numbers but unsure if there accurate.
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2018, 08:03:29 PM »
If you are using a consumer grade GPS (without a barometric altimeter) to estimate elevation, be sure to follow George's advice to take many readings over time and average them. Consumer grade GPS's are great for position accuracy (within 10' 90% of the time), but not so much for elevation. They can easily be off 30 or 40 feet or more in a single reading. But if you average many readings of the same location over time, you will get pretty close.

The handheld GPS's with a barometric altimeter are generally more accurate, but you have to calibrate them at a known elevation or at an exact barometric pressure for your exact location, so you are back to the same problem.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 08:08:34 PM by alanb »
Alan - Ambient WS-2000, WH31E x5, WH31L, Ecowitt WN32(WH32E)
          Airthings Corentium Home Radon Detector 223

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2018, 08:29:12 PM »
This is a pretty good elevation website if you enter in your Latitude and Longitude. But you have to enter it in the correct format.
The correct format is Degree and then Minutes with decimal minutes.  NOT SECONDS.  It is also referred to as DM.m so use this to convert your location.

https://www.directionsmag.com/site/latlong-converter/

Then enter that into this elevation website:
https://www.starpath.com/barometers/baro_cal.php

Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

anything