Author Topic: Weather station in wrong place on map  (Read 1811 times)

Offline dae06

Weather station in wrong place on map
« on: August 30, 2018, 08:54:49 PM »
On my iPhone and my wife’s iPhone, our weather station is correctly displayed on the Wunder map. But, on my Dads iPhone our weather station shows up 4 miles north. The funny thing is, when zoomed out of the map it shows 2 weather stations almost on top of each other and as you zoom in, the one in the correct location disappears and only show it in the wrong location. I don’t understand what’s happening. I’ve re-installed the app and rebooted the phone multiple times and nothing changes.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Weather station in wrong place on map
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 09:01:52 PM »
Wow registered for over 3 years and this is your first post. Welcome out of the shyness.

WU is all kinds of messed up with maps. It isn't your phone. What is your station ID so that we can investigate.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline dae06

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 08:19:47 AM »
Station ID: KMNRUSHF4

Thanks, I hope you can help. It's really not a bog deal, but I just can't understand why its show my weather station in the wrong place on only one of the 3 phones I've checked it on.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 12:06:15 PM »
Weird. I tested on 4 different devices, PCs and Android phones (sorry no Apple stuff). Looked right to me every time at all different zoom levels. I do see it disappear at high zoomed out levels but never reappear 4 miles North like you said. When you say 4 miles North that would indicate North of the Root River right (a bit North of Rushford)? At very high zoomed out levels I do see it touch the Root River, but not past it...but that seems okay to me because at that level the station icon is huge comparatively so it covers a great area (like 3 miles). Maybe that is the non-error you are seeing? There is no other stations around you nor 4 miles North. So I don't see any overlap of stations around you at all. No idea sorry. The good news is maybe we will see a new WU website soon. I hear they are getting ready to lauch a new site. Could be weeks or could be months...don't know yet. So maybe the problem will go away soon enough.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 12:12:10 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline dae06

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 12:14:24 PM »
The map I have included has 2 red circles. The correct place is on the bottom of the screen (circling a blue icon) and the top red circle is showing where my Dad's iPhone shows it to be.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 01:01:47 PM »
That is a 2.8 mile error. It is probably one of the many Mapbox issues with WU.

Also I just caught that you said you reinstalled that app. The Wondermap application is only available for Apple iOS devices. I've been testing Wondermap in a browser on PC and on Android, not with an app.

Someone else with an iOS device will need to step in. Sorry can't help. Android guy here.

UPDATE: Actually I just borrowed a coworkers iOS device. Wundermap app is no longer available on the App Store. And I learned that it was offered at one point for Android but also is no longer available. Perhaps you have it and are allowed to keep it. Seems to not be available for new installs. It is probably something that is no longer supported.

Are you maybe referring to the Wunderstation app?

« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 01:20:23 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline dae06

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 07:42:14 AM »
Here is the one I use. They just updated the version 2 weeks ago.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2018, 08:03:47 AM »
That is the regular Weather Underground app that is available on both platforms. The Weather Underground app has a wundermap inside.

With the WU app I was able to see something that may be the cause for confusion. If you are looking at the forecast for your station and you then tap in the little map picture to go full screen on the wundermap then when the full screen map comes up something confusing and interesting happens.... The map doesn't show you your station, it isn't supposed to do this. But to the North of you there is a station with a broken temperature sensor and it is reporting very low temperatures. This causes the map to show that station in Blue! The map isn't showing you your station in blue. It is showing all stations in the area and color coding them by temperature reading. Basically the map is not saying that the blue station is you, rather just showing all stations with their temp color.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 08:06:44 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline dae06

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2018, 08:10:51 AM »
So you don't see me? The70 degree circle ~12 miles South of the blue circle?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2018, 09:24:31 AM »
Yes I see you too, 75 deg F below Rushford. But on my phone the Blue station doesn't show. Only on my Android Tablet.  I'll grab screen shot for the tablet later.

Here is screenshot from my phone.
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2018, 09:52:05 AM »
Actually Blue dot station shows up on my phone now too. I guess that station is come and go.  Anyhow, could this blue station be the cause for confusion? In maps people are used to seeing their location as a blue dot. Maybe your father is reading the map wrong and thinking that while he is on your station and goes to the map the may be thinking that the blue dot is trying to show him your stations location and that would be a mistake.

New screenshot from my phone
Tele-Pole

Offline dae06

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2018, 10:00:28 AM »
I don't think so. As I said earlier, when zoomed out a bit, we see that there is a second "circle" behind the other, as we zoom in, the circle that is correctly positioned over my weather station disappears and it shows the incorrectly positioned station (with my stations correct info) just a couple miles to the North, but still ~8 miles South of the blue "incorrect data" weather station, which by the way I have not seem before until today. I am guessing someone just installed a new station and is having some difficulties.

Offline havtrail

• Senior Contributor
    • Haverford Weather Station
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2018, 11:41:34 AM »
Yes, I'd say -10 degrees instead of 70-something is "having some difficulties"!

I always think of the home station as being the one that gets centered in the image, not identified by color necessarily...

Rich K.
Onset HOBO RX2102 Cellular
https://www.havtrail.com/weather/
NEWA https://newa.cornell.edu Haverford, PA

anything