Author Topic: Alternatives to WU?  (Read 987 times)

Offline forbrich

Alternatives to WU?
« on: March 25, 2018, 10:12:35 PM »
I'd been providing data to WU (iAlberta334) from my Davis VP2 6162 since 2011.  I've got 2 cameras set up for URL polling rather than ftp.   Main camera was dropped from WU a month ago and has been 'Waiting for approval' since then.  Backup camera worked for most of that time, but was disconnected from WU's side yesterday, and is now also 'Waiting for approval'.

WU have frustrated me enough that I'm thinking of going elsewhere. 

Recommendations appreciated!

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
Re: Alternatives to WU?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 08:22:42 AM »
pwsweather.com is one.

Offline forbrich

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 09:35:07 AM »
Many thanks.  Any comments on these, or others?

I can, and will, dig into the suggestions, but would also love to hear the experiences of other people.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 10:58:25 AM »
My experiences on those sites somewhat similar to WU:
PWS = very reliable, never had an issue at their end.  My history goes back to 2011.  Still same features and layout over all that time.  No pictures.
AWEKAS = also very reliable.  They send message if my data upload is stopped.  My history goes back to 2012.  Still same features and layout over that time, but they did offer an optional purchase item a few years ago.  Lots of worldwide users.  Allows data comparison to other nearby stations.  Can add webcam.
WOW = UK Weather Bureau and also very reliable.  My data goes back more than 5 years.  Some features and dashboard has been updated and modernized.  Can upload individual pics.  Gives Gold Awards ;)
Weathercloud = have had no issues.  I can only go back to last 6 months data.  Very little change in layout.  Can add webcam image.

WU = most used worldwide.  Offers most features about my data and also weather conditions, historical, etc.  Have been having lots of issues recently.  Webcam is great feature but reliability close to nil.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline forbrich

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 11:09:49 AM »
WOW!  Many, many thanks. 

Offline Impala88

• Senior Contributor
    • IrvineWx
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 07:36:44 PM »
PWS is my go to site for checking my own archived stats.  It loads much quicker than WU and I also have never had any kind of issue with them.

My experience with WU is pretty much the same.  Loads of features but takes forever to load and the recent issues that people have been reporting are a nuisance. 

anything