Author Topic: ?? PWS Template Discussion  (Read 1825 times)

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
?? PWS Template Discussion
« on: September 18, 2015, 10:08:30 AM »
Where'd the PWS WU template discussion go?
Tony

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Re: ?? PWS Template Discussion
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 10:15:27 AM »
Brian deleted it and I think he wants this not to be discussed here any more. Ive had couple of emails with him about it and a discussion here yesterday, which he deleted as well. I must say that I often did not quite understand his actions, but it could have been just misunderstanding. Either way, if you want his template, go to his website, it still works. From what he sent me yesterday my understanding is that he will no longer be participating on this forum and wants to sell his template.

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 10:31:01 AM »
Man. So be it.  #-o
Tony

Offline tstorm

• Contributor
    • Harpers Ferry Weather
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 02:35:39 PM »
Very odd change of events.  Template download has been removed again.

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 03:00:21 PM »
Yep. His loss I guess.  :grin:
Tony

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
    • https://weather34.com/homeweatherstation
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 04:39:22 PM »
Hi all

firstly I am very sorry and secondly I have thought about this response and not jumped in head first without some thought.I appreciate there are two sides to every
story so I am not ignorant of others opinions,assumptions, or views whether they are critical or non critical everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I designed that template design originally for personal use and just the like Ambient WS1001 (CLONES) display output i did the same , however both evolved into
something useable and configureable to enthusiasts alike so I thought.

So I shared them but what I saw happening with the web template was not to my liking , for those that used it for its original intention there seemed to no problems however
a minority had disastrous results ,hacking away at the code with no design flow at all,bad editing of parsing the json scripts and so on and I began to think well is this the path it is going to go down and yes it did and my biggest mistake was simplifying the code because my intention was to make it useable for non experienced coders so if they could just get over the barrier of setting up cron jobs and they would have a personal weather station page.
to a non regular day to day web designer the word cron job can mean nothing at all it was that approach that I wanted to go down to simply and create something useable without too much brainstorming about configuration set ups.Ive stood in a room a class where you have 15 people who know everything and 5 that don't know anything your talking about its then you have to find a balance to accomadate everyone.thats was my real honest intention.

I really reiterated so many times if you wanted a more detailed display there are templates widely available that would suffice to those requirements you really don't have to dig to deep to find them .

So is it my loss ?  frankly no its not ,is it anyones loss? no . i will use it peronally and leave it that way however what is to say someone else cannot build and design something along the lines and add there personal touches,requirements etc .

Perhaps it was wrong to ask Jachym to help support it, not in a detrimental manner is that to be taken take it in a manner that I saw someone who knew what they were on about however sadly what he was looking for or wanted was not my original intention but like all internet based discussions body language doesn't exist so it is easy to interpret what you read in a different manner than it is intended, so I openly say sorry to Jachym for the inconvenience.

Take what you want from above , view it in anyway you wish but it is what it is and sadly it wasn't to be so there you are what more can I say other than I am very sorry .

brian
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 04:45:17 PM by weatherist34 »

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2015, 04:46:36 PM »
Hi Brian,
thanks for your response, and I can only agree with what you said in your last paragraph - in my opinion it was all just a big misunderstanding with regards to what we discussed yesterday and today via email. All I wanted to tell you was that I was surprised by the fact that you first contacted me yourself if I could take it over, because you dont have enough time. I said yes and so it surprised me that yesterday you seemed pissed off by the fact I offered help to those that asked for it.
Although I think one should let people whatever they want with your/my template - in the end, it is their site and so if they like it.... but on the other hand I do respect your opinion and Im not saying it is wrong, the only problem is that in that case I really see no other option than not offering it at all, because if you do, people will always try to play around with it - and yes I have also seen some disasterous (in my opinion) uses of parts of my code, not just in meteotemplate, but those people were happy with it and for me that was the important bit.

Good luck to you and I hope you enjoy your hobby.

Offline lentildude

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 05:08:44 AM »
Brian,

I have tried to send you emails, but no longer replying..  you were advising me on suitable clones to buy to run your template.  I have a frined in the US buying me a WS1001 but now cant find your template and hompage is down.  Hope you can contact me.

thanks
George

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2016, 07:26:21 AM »

anything