Author Topic: Cannot connect to NWS Forecast URL  (Read 1645 times)

Offline Terri

Cannot connect to NWS Forecast URL
« on: February 12, 2012, 11:35:06 PM »
I am setting up a new weather web site using the Saratoga-Weather template.  I have tried several urls but I keep getting the following error.  The current url is the one I copied from the NWS website printable page.

--checking NWS Forecast URL --
URL: http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=45.4983&lon=-122.43&site=pqr&unit=0&lg=en&FcstType=text&TextType=2
Cache: ./cache/forecast.txt
GET /MapClick.php?lat=45.4983&lon=-122.43&site=pqr&unit=0&lg=en&FcstType=text&TextType=2 HTTP/1.1
      Host: forecast.weather.gov  Port: 80 IP=23.66.232.88
Network error: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.
 (10060)
HTTP stats: dns=4.095 conn=2.159 put=n/a get( blocks)=n/a close=n/a total=6.253 secs
fetch function elapsed= 6 secs.
RC=, bytes=0

Webpage site: http://www.stetzers.com/WeatherWeb/check-fetch-times.php

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Terri

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
Re: Cannot connect to NWS Forecast URL
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 01:44:01 AM »
Hi Terri,

That is a webserver setup issue .. the 4 seconds for DNS is very excessive (should be less that 0.2 seconds), and the connection timed-out at 2 seconds indicating a block of some kind from the webserver to the internet for outbound connections.

You seem to be hosted at 1and1 on a Windows package .. you'd be better off if you switch your package to Linux hosting on 1and1 (I think it's free to switch packages).  Long term, you'll have fewer issues using the templates with a Linux/Apache host than with a Windows/IIS host.

Best regards,
Ken
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP