Author Topic: Fly Out Menu Flys Under Image  (Read 2398 times)

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
Fly Out Menu Flys Under Image
« on: December 08, 2011, 05:12:53 AM »
I got a problem where the fly out menu goes under the image.  I have solved problems like this before by adding a "wmode=transparent" or "so.addParam('wmode', 'transparent'), but doing that doesn't work this time.  Perhaps the problem is related to the image being within an iframe.  It's at http://stillwaterweather.com/wx/wxnewpage.php

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline xykotik

• DonkeyTailWX DW6891
  • Forecaster
  • I'll deal with it tomorrow
    • DonkeyTail Weather
Re: Fly Out Menu Flys Under Image
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 09:23:34 AM »
I don't think it's the iframe, because the flyout is still visible over the padding, just not the animation/image.  I wonder if it has more to do with the animation?  Has it ever worked the way you were hoping (flyouts on top of everything)?  If I hover over the top-level menu and get a flyout, it is UNcovered until the page in the iframe containing the animation begins to load, so it might be putting ?newest on top (if that is a thing)?  Try putting just a static image in the iframe rather than a script call and see if the flyouts work properly.  Then maybe embed something else there that is animated (like youtube or flash) to see what happens. Try hard coding it there, and also as a borrowed iframe.  This is just to isolate if it is WHAT is in the iframe, or if it is ANYTHING in the iframe that is causing the problem.

Or... (and this might be safer) just ignore what I say, because I know nothing about ajax.  This is the way I learn things, to see something broken, assume it worked at one time, figure out how it could have worked, and then try to make that happen again.  It may seem like duct-tape and chicken-wire (quoting my father) but this approach has kept me continuously employed for a very long time.

Facit solem suum oriri super bonos et malos et pluit super iustos et iniustos.

Springtime in Seattle...  March comes in like a lion and out like a wet lion.

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 12:01:13 PM »
Ooo.. I love duct tape and wire coathangers to fix lifes mechanical problems :)

The sad answer about the flyout-menu opening behind your iframe (or even if it were not iframed) is the Java applet .. Java insists on being highest in the z-order in the window, and there isn't an option to change that behavior :(
The wmode="opaque" or wmode="transparent" param works fine for Flash, but Java applets don't honor or care about that and will be top-most in the browser screen.

My suggestion.. lose the Java applet and use Flash instead .. there's a nice FlAniS Flash control that will do the animation of a series of images, and will behave well with the menu.
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 04:20:52 PM »
Interesting that this is no problem in Firefox and Opera browsers.

Not sure if I have enough info from in the Iframe to make a flash.

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline Silversword

• --Stan Y.
  • Forecaster
    • Up Country Maui Weather
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 05:41:43 PM »
Hi,

This might be your issue also a possible solution at http://www.weather-watch.com/smf/index.php/topic,38097.0.html.

Hope this might help you some.

--Stan Y.
   Maui, Hawaii
Stan Y. - KH6HHG - Maui, Hawaii
 --- Blitzortung ID: 993
 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-PHOG1

WDL 6.05
MS Windows 7 Pro
Dell Optiplex GX280-Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.00GHz, 4 GB RAM
Davis Vantage Pro 2+ Wireless
Webcam: Axis 211