Author Topic: DarkSky reliability / uptime (minutely is currently down)  (Read 329 times)

Offline daneast

DarkSky reliability / uptime (minutely is currently down)
« on: February 07, 2019, 07:23:16 PM »
I'm currently integrating DarkSky weather into my iOS app. Out of lucky happenstance (IE before it was submitted to Apple for release) the app started crashing.  After hunting things down I discovered that right now, at the time I'm posting this, DarkSky data is not including any minutely data.  In fact, that entire object is missing from the JSON.  I spot checked in several states across the country, and none of them have minutely data right now.  I modified my app / backend to be more resilient to missing data.

Is this kind of data lapse common with DarkSky? They don't have a status page.  I contacted them over another technical issue the other day, and they were very quick to respond, so I'll ask them about this current outage.  However I was wondering what kind of uptime / reliability you all have been experiencing that have been using them longer.

Thanks!

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
Re: DarkSky reliability / uptime (minutely is currently down)
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 08:38:12 PM »
In my DS-forecast.php script, I only use the daily and hourly data so have no opinion about the minutely data.  The daily/hourly data seems solid so far.
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline daneast

Re: DarkSky reliability / uptime (minutely is currently down)
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 08:46:09 PM »
I just checked again and the minutely data is back.  I use it for the summary for the hour: "Possible light rain starting in 40 min., ending 8 min. later" type immediate forecast.

anything