Author Topic: Using VirtualVP USB datalogger/Envoy?  (Read 9800 times)

Offline mrduke

Using VirtualVP USB datalogger/Envoy?
« on: March 22, 2012, 02:18:34 PM »
I have a VP2 communicating to my computer through an Envoy and USB Data Logger connected to a USB port. I cannot get the VirtualVP program to connect to the envoy. I have tried each port several times. Is it not possible to use VirtualVP with a USB connection? Any suggstions would be appreciated?

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
Re: Using VirtualVP USB datalogger/Envoy?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 05:01:31 PM »
Yes it will work. Have you checked in Windows control panel what comm number is associated with the USB Datalogger ? You might want to delete that port in the hardware manager and then right click on the computer name at the top and have it "scan for hardware changes" and have it re-install the port. You said it communicates directly...to WeatherLink or other software ? Is the software still running when you fire up VVPro ??? If the original weather software is still running it has a hold on the comm port and VVPro will error out. You might want to change the port number to anything but comm1 in your weather software to break the hold and then reboot to clear the comm port. Then try VVPro again with the comm port in VVPro set to the comm port number of the USB DataLogger. Hope this helps.

---After you get VVPro to communicate with the Envoy.....

You do know that you have to run some kind of Virtual Serial port driver like NV8Bvcom ? (http://www.softwx.com/downloads.html). You will have to set it up so that on NV8Bvcom you will have comm6 = comm16, comm7 = comm 17, etc. Then on VVPro you set each software package to the high number (ex. VWS on comm16, WL on comm17, etc.) Then in each weather program you set the comm port to the low number (VWS would be on comm 6, WL comm 7, etc.).
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 05:04:24 PM by Garth Bock »

Offline mrduke

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 05:55:31 PM »
Thanks for your reply. I have been able now to get VVP to communicate with the data logger. Also have gotten WeatherLink and Weather Display to work with VVP, but I am unable to get VWS to work. I have tried different com ports, but still no go. Any suggestions?

Duke

Offline Garth Bock

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 09:35:06 AM »
What Virtual Serial port program are you using ? NV8Bvcom ? Com0com ? What port are you assigning to VWS ? Some details of how you have it set up will help us give some suggestions.

Offline mrduke

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 03:05:50 PM »
I am using the VirtualVP software with the NV8Bvcom driver. I can connect VWS directly without the VVP software using port 3. I can select port 3 when using VVP and run WD and WeatherLink at the same time through the VVP software. Trying to use use VWS alone with VVP and set to the same ports as WD and/or WeatherLink were using still does not work. Even trying different port combinations does not work. It seems running VWS through VVP does not work. I am running the latest VVP, and VWS Interenet Edition v14.01 p46. Seems to me I Read somewhere on this forum that maybe newer VWS versions do not work with VVP due to some LOOP configuration. I haven't found that post again yet. Thanks for your replies.

Duke

Offline Garth Bock

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 05:02:49 PM »
It works just fine. Look at the attachments. Try setting up NV8 and VVPro like what I have.

This goes in reverse. Set up NV8 first. Check each of the ports you want to use just like in the pic. Now In VVPro set it up like in my picture. The comm port in the top left is set to the comm port that Windows has for your Envoy. Now set up each software package. REMEMBER THIS IS IN REVERSE. The comm16 set up for VWS = comm6 in NV8. Go into VWS and set it to COMM6. The same goes for Weather Display. I have it set in VVPro to comm17. Since in NV8 comm17 = comm7, go into Weather Display and set it to comm7. This how it is set up. Each software has its own comm port. You said you tried running all your software on port 3. You can't run all of them off the same comm port. Use this set up and then let me know how things are going.

My apologies to all for the size of the pics. I was doing screen captures through Teamviewer edited in Photoshop and had a problem with blurriness. I will resize when I get home.

Offline mrduke

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 05:51:46 PM »
Garth,

Thanks for taking so much time. Set up exactly as yours, still no go. When I mentioned using port 3 alone for VWS, I meant Windows port 3. Connecting directly through that, VWS works fine. But setting to com 6 in VWS and com 16 in VVP doesn't. Even though the other programs work fine if they are set to that same 6/16 and VWS set to another combination. I am running VVP 1.2.5. On the "view" activity screen the port with VWS on it goes through several items, Sent response for wakeup console, sent response for get station type, sent response for unknown command, sending LOOP 1 of 1. This just keeps repeating. The other ports say sending LOOP "" of LOOP "".  Any ideas?

Duke

Offline n3ouc

• Contributor
    • Air Products Campus Weather
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 08:57:08 PM »
Duke,
I too tried several times to get VWS to work through the VVP com port settings with no success, however, It does work very well for me using the the TCP/IP setup. I have it in place of the VPLIVE setiings as Garth has in his example. Setup VWS with the 127.0.0.1 address and 5511 port and try it that way. You can run WDisplay and the others through the com port settings.
I think this kind of setup should work out for you.

Mike
Mike Stanton
Air Products Campus Weather

Offline Garth Bock

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 09:15:44 PM »
In VWS you have it set to Davis/Pro/Pro2/USB Version ? Try switching it to the serial version. Restart VWS and see if that works.

Offline mrduke

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 10:26:46 AM »
I have VWS set to serial. The settings in VWS work fine when set to the right ports and used without VVP. When it is set to match the virtual ports of VVP it does not work. I also tried the tcp setting in VWS and using that in VVP, but that doesn't get information either, although VVP indicates it is connected to 127.0.0.1,listening on port 5511. In the errors listed below the activity screen it says there are too many bad sockets, and will try to reconnect. It really baffles me that I can get WD and WL to work fine, just no go with VWS. I'll be eagerly waiting for any more ideas, and again I really appreciate your help. I also have done reinstallations of VVP and the driver. This seems to be a VWS, VVP combination problem only. What versions of VVP ans VWS are you using? Check this link http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=7731.0
Duke
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 06:28:20 PM by mrduke »

Offline n3ouc

• Contributor
    • Air Products Campus Weather
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2012, 08:20:31 PM »
Duke,
I actually am running VWS 14.01 V47, Wdisplay(Latest Version), Cumulus (Latest Version) and Weatherlink just fine through VVP. I am using a USB data logger but converting it with the N8VB com driver to com port 4. I do not have the fast looping checked as Garth does but everything else in the TCP/IP section is identical except with the four programs mentioned above. It took me quite awhile to get all four to work but I have had no problems since I set this up about 4 months ago. Try running everything through com 4, then tcp/ip.
Mike
Mike Stanton
Air Products Campus Weather

Offline mrduke

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2012, 11:02:20 AM »
That's great to hear. Those are exactly the programs I want to get running. If I understand you correctly, you have VVP listening on COM4 to connnect to the data logger, and all the other settings except fast looping set as Garth does. So are you using TCP/IP or the virtual ports 6/16, 7/17, 8/18, 9/19? I have tried TCP/IP with VWS on 127.0.0.1 and port 5511, and it says connected and listening on 5511, but never gets any info. I will keep trying. Are you running VVP 1.2.5.74? Thanks.

Duke

Offline moehoward4

• Forecaster
  • Jack in SE MA.
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2012, 03:29:12 PM »
Duke   I believe that you also have to set VWS to 'Davis....TCP/IP', then tell VWS what '127..... Port'...., then shut down VWS, go to VVP, make the changes in VVP, disconnect and reconnect VVP, then restart VWS. It can be a little involved, but it does work....I have switched VWS between 'serial' and 'TCP/IP' a couple of times.   Good Luck
3 Davis set-ups...which one ya wanna talk about? And I got ALL my manuals....

Offline mrduke

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2012, 10:16:47 PM »
I for the life of me can not seem to get this to work. I always thought I was pretty good at this stuff. All the other programs work fine, just can't get VWS and VVP to work togther. I have begun to look into my Kaspersky firewall settings and application settings in Kaspersky to see if it's blocking something between VVP and VWS. Any more suggestions?

Duke

Offline SteveFitz1

• Forecaster
    • Tyler Texas Weather
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2012, 09:18:43 PM »
Duke,

Can you give us screen shots of your settings from VWS, VVP, and your serial driver? Maybe one of us can 'see' something you may be overlooking.

Thanks,

Steve

Offline mrduke

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2012, 10:56:18 AM »
Here are some screenshots. More info: Win7 SP1 32bit, VVP 1.2.5.74, VWS 14.01p48, N8VBvCOM driver, Davis USB Logger running as serial. I have tried many port and com settings, and TCP/IP. I can get all the other programs to work, except VWS.

Thanks,
Duke
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 01:21:57 PM by mrduke »

Offline SteveFitz1

• Forecaster
    • Tyler Texas Weather
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2012, 12:58:21 PM »
Duke,

In looking at your screen shots, your VVP settings show you have VWS mapped to COM17. However, in your VWS settings, you show you're using port 6. According to your VCOM mapping, port 7 is mapped to COM17. I think you need to change VWS to use port 7 instead of 6.

Steve

Offline mrduke

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2012, 01:23:45 PM »
Sorry, I posted the wrong screen capture. Corrected in post above. I've also added the VVP log screen.

Thanks for responding so quickly.

Duke

Offline SteveFitz1

• Forecaster
    • Tyler Texas Weather
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2012, 03:24:11 PM »
Duke,

Your settings all look good to me. Not that it's significant, but what versions of firmware are you running on your VP2 and Envoy?

Steve

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2012, 03:37:22 PM »
I think the firmware version will be important
as the newer firmware versions have commands that VVP does not handle
(that VWS will be calling)
from my understanding
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline mrduke

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2012, 03:51:36 PM »
Thanks for responding. My firmware version on the envoy is v2.00.

I have tried using the Enterlogic VSPE port splitter software. I can then split port 3 into virtual port 4, and run VWS directly through the virtual port. That works until you start up VVP and then WD. Neither VVP or WD will download logger archive data properly. I have read on some other posts that older versions of VWS prior to v14.01p22 worked, but I can't get a hold of an older version. I'll keep trying.

Duke

Offline thosj

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2013, 04:50:40 PM »
Did anyone ever solve this? I have the EXACT same thing. I have an Envoy and Virtual VP with COM0COM on Windows 7 64 bit. Weatherlink, VirtualVP, and Cumulus all work with this combo, but VWS will NOT. If I don't run VVP, and run VWS and set it to COM 3, Windows COM port assigned to the Envoy, it works fine. It just won't work thru the VVP/COM0COM virtual ports.

I read this entire thread and it just stopped with no apparent solution. My Envoy is pretty new, so likely has the latest firmware. I have a VP2 console on another computer running this same software combo and VWS works fine, so it HAS to be the Envoy and VWS communicating thru the virtual serial port, but I don't know how to solve it. I tried the TCP/IP thing and that didn't work either.

Anyone know if this has been made to work?

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2013, 11:11:08 PM »
Any of you try this on 64 bit machine

The ReadMe file says, The com0com.sys is a test-signed kernel-mode driver that will not load by default. To enable test signing, enter command: bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING ON and reboot the computer. NOTE: Enabling test signing will impair computer security. This must be done by an administrator, as installation must be. (…le

Offline thosj

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2013, 08:33:07 AM »
I AM on a 64 bit machine. Steve from SoftWX did a signed version of COM0COM and it works fine on 64 bit Windows without all the rigamarole. I just can't get VWS to work with VVP on the virtual com port on this computer where it works fine stand alone on COM3 that the Envoy gets assigned.

Anyone solve this?

Offline Piero

• Valenza - Italy
    • Luna Weather Station - Valenza
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2013, 08:46:43 PM »
Same problem. Cabled Weather Envoy, firmware 3.12, weatherlink IP, VVP 1.2.5, VWS 14.01 p46, win XP Sp3.
At this point I think it is a serious problem of compatibility between VWS and VVP. But why for someone does it work? And why no one writes a program similar to VVP? That's incredible.

Piero
Davis ISS and Weather Envoy
Weatherlink IP
Virtual Weather Station
Cumulus
Weatherlink
www.lunavalenza.altervista.org

anything