Author Topic: On Instructables  (Read 1184 times)

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
On Instructables
« on: May 02, 2012, 10:43:07 AM »

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
Re: On Instructables
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 11:19:19 AM »
I think the rain gauge would erroneously tip during the tilt up of the tower.  If he unplugged the tipping bucket during the tilt up, it is too high to reach without a ladder to plug it back in.

The tilt up post is a fine way to mount the anemometer up high, but the rain gauge should not be attached to it.
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 12:38:42 PM »
I think the rain gauge would erroneously tip during the tilt up of the tower.  If he unplugged the tipping bucket during the tilt up, it is too high to reach without a ladder to plug it back in.

The tilt up post is a fine way to mount the anemometer up high, but the rain gauge should not be attached to it.

Hmmm.  I remember to turn off my console(s) when I do maintenance on the ISS.  Isn't that what the book says to do?

And my ISS is mounted on a tilt-up tower.  Convenient way to get the anemometer up high and the ISS much lower.

When installing a tilt-up tower, it is wise to orient the tilting axis exactly N-S or E-W, which makes it much easier to get the wind vane mounted correctly.

Oh, and watch out for power wires.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 12:41:11 PM by dalecoy »

Offline Jim18655

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 04:52:42 PM »
I would think the post would cause problems blocking rain from the collector.