Author Topic: New Acurite 5n1 with Wifi reporting to wunderground - $149  (Read 6572 times)

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
New Acurite 5n1 with Wifi reporting to wunderground - $149
« on: February 20, 2018, 02:31:53 PM »
Was not expecting this.  Looks like an inexpensive 5n1 kit that reports only to wunderground via WiFi at $149.

https://www.acurite.com/5-in-1-weather-station-color-display-wireless-network-connection.html

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
Re: New Acurite 5n1 with Wifi reporting to wunderground - $149
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 03:07:46 PM »
Was not expecting this.  Looks like an inexpensive 5n1 kit that reports only to wunderground via WiFi at $149.

Is this setup with the 5 in 1 that has only one solar panel?

Offline davefr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 03:44:55 PM »
So the display integrates the hub and accepts sensor data and routes it direct to WU via a WiFi router connection to the internet?

If so, what's the point of the Access Hub?  I assume the Access Hub/Smart Hub gives you the My Acurite Dashboard via the Acurite servers. But if the same data get's transmitted direct to WU what's the point of My Acurite?

Isn't this basically similar to the Ambient Weather WS-1002??

Offline John Z

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 03:52:39 PM »
This is a pretty sweet offering, but I would miss the ability to monitor my other miscellaneous sensors via MyAcuRite.

For those who expected the 5n1 to just fade away, well, maybe not.
For new users, or those who have an ageing 5n1, and have no desire to move to Atlas, this is great!

I might get this package as a gift, just to get my brother interested.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 03:56:31 PM by John Z »

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 03:58:50 PM »
If so, what's the point of the Access Hub?  I assume the Access Hub/Smart Hub gives you the My Acurite Dashboard via the Acurite servers. But if the same data get's transmitted direct to WU what's the point of My Acurite?

The Access can report data from multiple sensors.  This kit only reports 1 sensor (the 5n1) to wunderground.

myAcurite is meant for more general monitoring other than weather conditions.  Wunderground is weather specific.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 04:00:16 PM »

Looks like it.  I'm guessing they want to keep the entry-price low. 

We'll likely see other kit configurations and the display sold alone at some point.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 04:13:11 PM »
Hopefully you can buy just the display. Looks like a nice one.

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 04:29:52 PM »
Maybe this is a strategy to unload the remaining inventory of the 5 in 1's. It seems odd to introduce a new 5 in 1 configuration when the Atlas 7/8 release is supposedly just around the corner. It will be interesting to see if they have this display or one similar to it in a configuration for the Atlas 7/8. That assumes of course that the Atlas will indeed come to market some day.
Alan - Ambient WS-2000, WH31E x5, WH31L, Ecowitt WN32(WH32E)
          Airthings Corentium Home Radon Detector 223

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 04:32:55 PM »
Maybe this is a strategy to unload the remaining inventory of the 5 in 1's. It seems odd to introduce a new 5 in 1 configuration when the Atlas 7/8 release is supposedly just around the corner. It will be interesting to see if they have this display or one similar to it in a configuration for the Atlas 7/8. That assumes of course that the Atlas will indeed come to market some day.

That Atlas was never meant to replace the 5n1.  They are simply expanding the width of their product offerings.

This wifi display is similar in concept to what will be done with the Altas Elite.

Offline davefr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 05:15:07 PM »
Call me skeptical, but something's "fishy".

1. Why wouldn't the marketing "geniuses" at Chaney offer this WiFi Display as an alternative in place of the $40 Access upgrade especially if it offloads all their data collection worries to WU? I'd gladly eliminate any dedicated hub if this combined capability could be integrated into the display. (no hardwire router connection, no separate hub placement hassles or power needs). I bet 90%+ of their customer base only cares about one 5 in 1 sensor's worth of reporting.

2. MyAcurite Dashboard doesn't bring me any compelling advantage over WU's station page IMHO.

3. Why is this SKU an orphan in their lineup? Does it have Chaney's typical "half baked" technical problems?  Does it require a special 5 in 1 sensor or will it work with any existing 5 in 1? I think it's pretty compelling and far less then the price of Ambient's similarly featured WS-1002 assuming it works.

4. For me it should offer better reception since the display is half way between the 5 in 1 and my wireless router.

5. Why's it bundled with the ancient single solar grid 5 in 1?

P.S. This 10538HD SKU is $99 street price:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/AcuRite-Professional-Weather-Center-5-N-1-01538HD/303046970
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 05:24:21 PM by davefr »

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018, 05:27:05 PM »
Wow! At $99 it is pretty tempting, but since it is too new to have any customer feedback or reviews and with all the stuff Acurite has been pulling on their customers recently ... I will "wait and see".

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2018, 05:28:30 PM »

Looks like it.  I'm guessing they want to keep the entry-price low. 

We'll likely see other kit configurations and the display sold alone at some point.

George, I  can't understand why Acurite would sell the old one panel 5 in 1? Didn't they upgrade to the 2 panel design because the 1 panel design failed to give accurate data?

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2018, 06:29:11 PM »
George, I  can't understand why Acurite would sell the old one panel 5 in 1? Didn't they upgrade to the 2 panel design because the 1 panel design failed to give accurate data?

Not everyone benefits from the two-panel unit.  In many parts of the US, a single-panel unit can work just as well as a two-panel unit.  Maybe even better.  It all comes down to the angle of the sun over the course of a year.

As a general rule, the two-panel unit tends to work better as you move further south.  That's because it catches the sun better in the early morning and late evening to keep the aspiration fan running longer.

As you move further north, the single-panel unit tends to work just fine.  Some have found the two-panel design is worse up north, particularly around solar noon, and have reverted back to the single panel.

I've been running both single and two-panel units in Nebraska and Texas.  It doesn't seem to make a noticeable difference for me.

So... Acurite give you options by offering both.  You can save a few bucks if the single panel unit works fine for you.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 06:31:38 PM by nincehelser »

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2018, 06:46:22 PM »
My Home depot has only one. This will make a nice station starter.

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2018, 07:49:41 PM »
My Home depot has only one. This will make a nice station starter.

I'd be careful.  The manual pages on the HD $99 web page were all for a 1536 model, not the 1538.  If it's too good to be true, it is probably a typo.  The 1536 has USB though, for whatever that's worth.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2018, 07:56:16 PM »
Speaking of manual pages, here's the new 1538 docs straight from Acu-Rite:

https://www.acurite.com/media//manuals/01538HD-instructions.pdf

Offline txbayou

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2018, 09:18:04 PM »
It would be nice if the $90 upgrade coupon that some of us got from Acurite (actually worth $88.63 when I used it) could be used to buy this, since this bare bones 1538 system is all i really want right now. But the coupon will only work for Access hub purchases or bundles including the Access hub.

I bought a bundle last week consisting of Access hub and Pro 5in one, sale price $149, with coupon $61, so that I effectively got a spare 5in1 for a cost of $21.
Not bad, but this week I just might have spent the extra $38 total $99 plus tax at Homedepot for the 1538 system and bypassed the need for any hub. Funny thing my current smarthub and pro 5in1 cost me $99 in a super deal from WU and Acurite a year ago. Almost like a $99/yr subscription deal.
And how long is the hubless model going to work before they find a way to make it obsolete?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 06:14:35 AM by txbayou »

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2018, 09:57:10 PM »
And how long is the hubless model going to work before they find a way to make it obsolete?

Given that the upload program is embedded in the console's electronics, I suspect that WU will be the entity making it obsolete by July.....

Offline txbayou

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2018, 06:12:24 AM »

Given that the upload program is embedded in the console's electronics, I suspect that WU will be the entity making it obsolete by July.....

2018 or 2019?

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2018, 06:41:49 AM »
2017.  Knowing WU, it went obsolete before Acu-Rite could even ship the new console..... #-o

Offline txbayou

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2018, 09:14:21 AM »
2017.  Knowing WU, it went obsolete before Acu-Rite could even ship the new console..... #-o

you are putting your gold star in danger of revocation !  :lol:

Whatever, IMO $149 is high for this device, and the Homedepot $99 price much more appropriate for a non-pro 5in1 w/o hub. But it's new and some people will want to be the first to have it.
Maybe acurite thinks that the display with ultra-modern "wi-fi" feature is worth the extra $50? :grin: Does The Access hub use wifi?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 09:22:01 AM by txbayou »

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2018, 09:15:27 AM »
That's interesting offering! Certainly a good price point for people who just want a simple station that reports out to WU...but still has the ability to monitor a screen in your house.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2018, 10:03:19 AM »

you are putting your gold star in danger of revocation !  :lol:

Whatever, IMO $149 is high for this device, and the Homedepot $99 price much more appropriate for a non-pro 5in1 w/o hub. But it's new and some people will want to be the first to have it.
Maybe acurite thinks that the display with ultra-modern "wi-fi" feature is worth the extra $50? :grin: Does The Access hub use wifi?

The sensor alone retails for about $80.  That leaves $70 for the display.  Assuming it's a HD display, that's not too shabby.

$99 will buy you a 5n1 sensor and a black & white non-wifi LCD display at WalMart.

The only difference between a "pro" and a "non-pro" is the number of solar panels.  Many do not need two-panels... much depends on your latitude.

The Access does not use Wifi.

I'm not so sure about the $99 Home Depot version.  There are inconsistencies in the model number and documentation.

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2018, 09:13:58 PM »

That Atlas was never meant to replace the 5n1.  They are simply expanding the width of their product offerings.

This wifi display is similar in concept to what will be done with the Altas Elite.
I will defer to your insider knowledge with Acurite as a beta tester/preferred customer. But as an acknowledged newbie in weather stations (I have been waiting for the Atlas before I buy anything), it looks to me like there is is a lot of overlap between the 5n1 pro's and the Atlas 7/8 series in capabilities and function ... especially now since they will both require the Access for uplinks. Since Acurite has refused to give us any substantive information about the Atlas for over a year now since their original announcement, please enlighten us about how the Atlas 7/8 is not a replacement for the 5n1 series. I don't mean this post to be a challenge to what you said. I would just like to learn so I can decide if the Atlas is still worth waiting for.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2018, 10:16:57 PM »
I will defer to your insider knowledge with Acurite as a beta tester/preferred customer. But as an acknowledged newbie in weather stations (I have been waiting for the Atlas before I buy anything), it looks to me like there is is a lot of overlap between the 5n1 pro's and the Atlas 7/8 series in capabilities and function ... especially now since they will both require the Access for uplinks. Since Acurite has refused to give us any substantive information about the Atlas for over a year now since their original announcement, please enlighten us about how the Atlas 7/8 is not a replacement for the 5n1 series. I don't mean this post to be a challenge to what you said. I would just like to learn so I can decide if the Atlas is still worth waiting for.

I hate making car analogies as they always ultimately fail, but in this case it might help.

If the 5n1 is a car, it's an economy box with little to no comfort features.  If you slam the door it sounds a bit tinny.  However, it is enough to get you from point A to B.  It's priced to be affordable to most anyone, including those on a tight budget.

If the Atlas is a car, it is a luxury sedan.  Lots of nice-to-have features standard.  If you slam the door it would give you a nice satisfying "thunk" that tells you it is well-built.  The optional lightning sensor module (i.e. the Atlas 8 ) is the optional "sport" package.  It's priced higher, but not so high to be out-of-reach to the upper-middle class buyer.

If the Atlas Elite is a car, well... it isn't a car, but a big 4-wheel drive monster truck.  Flames shoot out of the exhaust.  The ground shakes.  Women, children, and small animals flee in fear.  Pricing?  Get out your checkbook.  Being "Elite" isn't cheap.

Now back to reality...

If the beta documentation holds true, the Atlas (specifically the outdoor sensor part) will have a 2-year warranty instead of the one-year warranty on the 5n1.  Indoor components are still at one-year.  I think this is Acurite's way of saying that this is a substantially sturdier build than they've put out before.

If you held a 5n1 in one hand, and the Atlas in another, the difference in build quality would be obvious.  That Atlas is bigger, heavier, and looks like it could eat the 5n1 for lunch.

The same thing can be said for the console display.  Most of the 5n1 displays are LCD models with a few being "HD".  The Atlas display goes a bit further and adds touch-screen features on par with a quality tablet or smartphone.

I hope this helps give you a general feel for the difference.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 10:18:28 PM by nincehelser »

anything