Author Topic: New "Camera".....  (Read 1477 times)

Offline GregJ

• Forecaster
    • http://www.SkunkBayWeather.com
New "Camera".....
« on: February 05, 2018, 01:07:35 PM »
This past year I have been watching “responsible” drone photography and have been very impressed.  It really does open a whole new visual perspective to our environment.  I decided to give it a try. 

Yesterday the weather wasn’t perfect, but I grabbed some video that shows the potential for this new camera.  The technology in this device is amazing.  I still have a LOT to learn.

FAA rules require that drones stay under 400 feet.  This video tops out at 375 feet.  With this new potential, I am looking forward to some incredible sunrises and sunsets with a lot more detail than I have been able to capture up to now.

Thought I'd Share,

Greg
Davis VP2 with VWS

"Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it." -- Mark Twain

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
Re: New "Camera".....
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 02:09:42 PM »
Greg,
Very nice!
Please tell us the kind of equipment you were using, and things like video output, was it linked back to the ground or did you record to a chip and pull this off later?

I've been interested in aerial photography since a kid, and with drones becoming lower in cost (notice I didn't say affordable!) my hopes of having helicopter-like views may come soon. 

I like the films where they fly over things, like corn fields and harvesting with combines, etc.  I guess my farm background shows through.

But keep linking to other vids that you get and fill us in on the technical details, too.

ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 02:13:31 PM »
Oh, I also would be interested in knowing what it is you use for a video editor. 

One local fellow took some wonderful images of a local ham erecting a new tower and putting the huge antenna on top of it.  It really made you feel like you were a bird or walking on air.  But every single second he shot was posted and at 45 minutes into it (skipped over a LOT) I realized the best equipment other than a good drone and camera would be an editor which he should use ruthlessly. 

Just hoping that I can get something to learn with before summer arrives.

I keep telling my wife these are no more costly than say a tricked out VP2!!!
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline GregJ

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 02:18:45 PM »
Thanks for the kind words Dale….  Wow…  There is a lot to these things.  I'll cover some of the basics.  The technology is mind boggling…  For example…  I can put it 400 ft up and just hit the RTH (Return To Home) button and without even touching the controls it comes back down and lands within a foot of where it took off… 

OK… Here are the specifics:
1.   DJI Mavic Pro – Bought from Costco on-line, but I see them in the stores now.
2.   The video and images are stored on a mini SD on the drone itself.
3.   Videos are 4K and the files are HUGE….
4.   Basic flying is very easy, but using some of the automated features takes some practice.
5.     The remote control works in conjunction with your smartphone for better visibility and usability. 

Hope this helps,

Greg

Davis VP2 with VWS

"Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it." -- Mark Twain

Offline GregJ

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 02:20:00 PM »
My video editor is Movie Studio Platinum 14.0.
Davis VP2 with VWS

Offline GregJ

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 04:23:00 PM »
Dale,
I forgot to mention the "ActiveTrack" mode that you might be interested in.  With this you can frame in a target (in your case a combine) and it will follow it without any intervention by you.  Incredibly smooth and all automatic.  Someday, I'll have the courage to do that to follow my boat....  They do make floats for these out of pool noodles.  They seem to work pretty good.  I want to get a little better at the controls before I go out over water though.  I don't want one of these " #-o" moments....

Greg
Davis VP2 with VWS

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Weather - Photography - Astronomy - Computer Admin
  • Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 12:39:57 AM »
Greetings and congratulations on a fantastic video and looking forward to many more!

Randall