Author Topic: Ambient Weather WS-1001 Humidity Issue  (Read 1577 times)

Offline btcompute

• KNHNORTH15
Ambient Weather WS-1001 Humidity Issue
« on: June 29, 2018, 02:16:13 PM »
For the past few days I have been getting outdoor humidity readings that are much too low.
Right now it is reporting 11% while other local weather stations are reporting 60 - 65%.
It is a hot humid day today.
Indoor humidity reading seems accurate.

Any idea why the outdoor reading would be so far off?

Offline JayTees

• https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMOJACKS28
    • My Weather Station
Re: Ambient Weather WS-1001 Humidity Issue
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 03:36:49 PM »
Which module do you have for a hygrometer? My Ambient Weather WS-900-IP (Wireless) uses a WH32E Temperature/Humidity Sensor and has been experiencing 'dropouts' in sensed weather since April. It's getting replaced under warranty.

John
When in danger, or in doubt,
Run in circles, scream and shout!

Offline btcompute

• KNHNORTH15
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 03:42:33 PM »
The humidity is being reported by the internal components of the rooftop weather station unit, not from a separate module.

It is good to hear that you will be getting a replacement for your module.

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 04:27:03 PM »
The humidity is being reported by the internal components of the rooftop weather station unit, not from a separate module.

It is good to hear that you will be getting a replacement for your module.

An Ambient 5 in 1 unit located about a mile from me has been under-reporting humidity for over a year. I think the sensor needs replacing, assuming it is replaceable/available. If you are still under warranty or have an after-market extended warranty then you should be in good shape.

Here's a link to that PWS on WU--
https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMALEYDE2#history

Offline btcompute

• KNHNORTH15
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2018, 05:10:08 PM »
I think the warranty on this unit is 1 year.
I've had it for a bit over 3 years.
Left an email for Ambient, but I suspect I'm out of luck.

Offline Eno

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2018, 05:21:46 PM »
For the past few days I have been getting outdoor humidity readings that are much too low.
Right now it is reporting 11% while other local weather stations are reporting 60 - 65%.

Now that you mention it, my 3.5 year old WS-1001 is reading between 11-13% while nearby NWS and RAWS are upper 20's lower 30's.
National interagency standards for RAWS are to replace the temp/RH sensor annually.  Maybe the WS-1001 sensor has just drifted out of calibration?  I will check it against two Kestrels this afternoon.

Offline btcompute

• KNHNORTH15
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2018, 05:34:06 PM »
I believe I do have an adjustment I can make in the software to calibrate the reading.

Don't know if I can add 50% to it, or what effect that would have when the actual humidity drops to very low numbers.
I don't know yet if the unit is consistently reporting 50% less than it should be, or if the variation is inconsistent.

Offline rods55555

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2018, 01:25:47 PM »
I had the same problem with my unit.
Here is the link for the "solution": https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=32189.0

Offline Eno

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2018, 03:06:59 PM »
I calibrated the RH with area NWS as well as a Kestrel 4000, ended up adding 10% using the panel's Calibration screen and it looks to be reading fine the last few days.

Offline Jjm457

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2018, 07:55:39 PM »
Indoor humidity reading seems accurate.

Any idea why the outdoor reading would be so far off?

My 1001 crapped out (both humidity and dew point) after less than 18 months.  Per Ambients reply, it was beyond repair.  Thankfully my credit card company I purchased it with covered me for an extended warranty.  I received full payment  back via check and promptly bought  the Davis Vantage Vue!

anything