Author Topic: WS-2902 using ObserverIP-WS-1600-IP  (Read 5757 times)

Offline dtidmore

WS-2902 using ObserverIP-WS-1600-IP
« on: August 02, 2017, 10:14:58 AM »
A few more days of experience with the Osprey unit (WS-2902), so more info!  The unit continues to perform well.  VERY impressed with the accuracy of the humidity sensor (using CWOPs analysis for comparison).  The temp sensor tracks extremely well but it was reading a tad high overall  (no spikes, just a tad high across the entire day).  I have tweaked the calibration to compensate.  I LOVE the responsiveness of the anemometer!  It takes off at around .2MPH!  A slight problem did arise with the ObserverIP v4.2 software regarding the indoor sensor which was periodically dropping for 5-10 minutes at a time but it always reconnected without intervention.  As this was occurring multiple times a day, I contacted with Ed at AW and working with the guys in China it was determined that they had changed the RF code attempting to increasing the range for the indoor sensor.  We dropped back to v4.1.8 (v4.1.9 was a disaster full of bugs BTW) and the problem vanished so I am testing a version of 4.2 with the RF code from 4.1.8 at the moment and all seems well.  Don't know when it will be released, but should anyone else be attempting my setup (WS-2902 with ObserverIP set to WS-1600-IP) be aware.

I am also in the process of crafting up an aspirator for the Osprey.  The solar radiation shield plates ARE identical to the those on the WS-1000-ARRAY which now is spare parts for me due to a nearby lightning hit induced transmitter failure.  I am using the concept posted by mrwerley, www.instructables.com/id/Solar-Powered-Aspirator-for-Vantage-Vue-Weather-St/ , with a few changes.  I will post more once I have it completed.  While I have not seen any temp spikes with the Osprey unit, an aspirated solar radiation shield is worth pursuing.  What I am doing will be non-destructive to the Osprey, so if it does not work out, I can easily return the Osprey to its OEM passive solar radiation shield design.

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
Re: WS-2902 using ObserverIP-WS-1600-IP
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 11:11:05 AM »
Many thanks for the update.  How high were the temp readings and did this variance occur at night and during the day?

Offline dtidmore

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 11:51:01 AM »
We have seen temps just north of 100 on several of the days with the overnight temps ranging in the mid to higher 70s.  Also until the last day or so, we have had little to no cloud cover, so the sun is pretty much unobstructed.  The temp changes that accompany sunrise/sunset are smooth and track other stations extremely well.  The variance/offset started off at about 2 degrees and as I stated it was NOT a spike, but across the entire 24 hour period.  I have since reduced the offset to under 1 degree as I like to take calibration adjustments nice and slow.  I suspect I will finally get it well under .5 degrees.  As I mentioned on the other thread, the Osprey is mounted 14ft above ground on a 2 5/8" steel pole with NO trees or buildings to shade or influence the readings. The ground below the sensor is grass.  However, the earliest rays and the last rays of the day ARE blocked due to houses.  The first rays to directly hit the solar radiation shield are a good hour after sunrise and the last hour's direct rays are likewise blocked otherwise, it gets the full impact of the solar energy.

Offline dtidmore

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 09:32:42 AM »
Another week and a few new observations.  Until a couple of days ago, everything was great!   AW, Fine Offset and I had to chase down a few minor bugs, but with 4.2.1 everything seemed resolved. 

Then it rained...a dead of night rain...not a downpour, in fact only about .1" over an hour so more of a heavy drizzle.  The ObserverIP almost immediately dropped signal from the Osprey, but it recovered only to repeat again an hour or so AFTER the rain and then finally a complete loss a few hours later.  Nothing had been done to the ObserverIP or its location (remember this is hardware that has a year of solid history from my initial WS-1400-IP installation).  The Osprey's dedicated display showed NO signs of signal loss.  We discovered that if the door to the closet (hollow core interior door) containing all my networking equipment was left open the ObserverIP would reacquire the signal so it appeared this was an RF signal strength issue.  Even with the closet door open there was one additional signal loss occurrence about 12 hours AFTER the rain ended.  We have had plenty of hot sunny weather since and oddly enough, the signal issue has resolved itself, which is making me suspicious that the Osprey may have gotten water/moisture around the antenna or onto the circuit board.  I am going to pull the unit to install my now completed home-brew aspirator, so I will take the opportunity to open up the Osprey and look for any signs of water penetration as well as places where rain might leak in.  I am going to seal any potential water penetration points with RTV.  Had the signal issue not resolved itself after a good baking in the sun, I might have felt that the ObserverIP RF code was suspect along with the chance that the Osprey transmitter was maybe a bit weaker overall, but I now more strongly suspect the Osprey RF output was degraded due to rain penetration.  I will post the outcome of this.  BTW, AW wanted to point blame to a poor location of the ObserverIP but as I pointed out to Ed, this ObserverIP has been in this exact location for a year with no issues and until the rain, no issues with the Osprey.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 08:09:09 AM by dtidmore »

Offline dtidmore

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 11:39:20 AM »
An update and good news!

After the communications drop outs that I encountered back with rain on Aug 6, I worked with Fine Offset directly to try and resolve.  My initial gut reaction was an issue with the ObserverIP software as I knew that the Fine Offset had been attempting to get better range between the Osprey unit and the ObserverIP but due to issues with the indoor unit, had dropped back to an earlier version of the RF code in ObserverIP firmware 4.2.1.  Then when the sporadic drop outs continued AFTER the rain ceased and in fact took many hours to finally return to solid transmissions, I began to suspect moisture intrusion into the Osprey since immediately after the rain, we returned to hot, sunny, dry weather which would have eventually evaporated any internal moisture. 

So, on Aug 9, I pulled the Osprey down and tore into it.  Did not find any evidence of moisture still present, but I really did NOT expect such given the weather in the days between the issue and then.  What I did find was a questionable seal around the solar panel which lays almost horizontal near the center of the Osprey.  There was a line of RTV, short and partial, on 2 of the sides, but only a fraction of the entire perimeter on the backside was sealed with RTV.  It was easy enough to run a continuous bead around the back side of the panel.  I also decided to run RTV into the lap joints where the sensors attach to the arms of the unit just to ensure that rain could not seep into the interior.  Then I buttoned everything up.  I also took the opportunity to install my home brew aspirator on the solar rad shield.  Then we had to wait for more rain.

Well, we got rain in spades starting the afternoon of Aug 12.  LOTS of rain, downpours of rain with rates at one point of 5.4"/hour!  The good news, NO drop outs. The rain has continued thru this morning, Aug 14, and still rock solid comm between the Osprey and the ObserverIP.  AW initially wanted to blame the ObserverIP location and I did humor the suggestion long enough to verify that I had a solid connection with it in an alternative location, then I moved it back to where it had resided for a year and the comms remained solid, so it was NEVER an issue with the ObserverIP. 

FO and AW were both really appreciative of my digging into the Osprey and finding the lack of a total perimeter RTV seal on the panel, which is the MOST likely point for moisture intrusion and also sits immediately adjacent to the circuit board.

In hindsight, I wished I had setup the WS-2909 display to feed AW's network in the beginning as that would have given us a record of whether the display was ALSO loosing comms but given that I had a year of history with my ObserverIP and several months with the Meteobridge, I really did not see the need when I installed the WS-2902.   That is now corrected.  I have 3 feeds into the AW network as they run off the MAC address and since the display, ObserverIP and the Meteobridge all have different MAC addresses, no problem sending all 3 for comparison.

Still very impressed with the Osprey despite this bump in the road. 

Offline Rhoos

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 04:19:49 PM »
Greetings "dtidmore" I have read your comments carefully the use of an Osprey station and an ObserverIP, I have the same devices; I would like if it is not a problem for you to tell me which configuration is used successfully in the ObserverIP to transmit the Osprey data to meteorological networks such as WU, or what is your recommendation for a successful configuration. Thank you very much,
Richard

Offline dtidmore

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 07:00:32 PM »
If you are JUST interested in WU, then you just need to sign up for a WU account at their site and then use the info from that account to fill out the entries in the ObserverIP. 

However if you want to get with the big boys and post to CWOP and a variety of other sites, then you need to jump down the rabbit hole of MeteoBridge.  CWOP is the one that actually used by NOAA in doing their forecasts along with official weather stations like airports. There is documentation online but I have to warn that it is NOT a step by step how-to.  Building out a Meteobridge box cost about $100 ($30 for the hardware, $75 for software license).  If you search for MeteoBridge you will find a lot of info, but again a bit techie.  You can buy a turn key version from Ambient Weather known as the Weather Bridge but they charge dearly for flashing the meteobridge software into the TP-Link mini-router and in the end the product is identical in EVERY respect.  The ObserverIP feeds the Meteobridge which in turn feeds ALL the external weather networks.  I still use the ObserverIP to feed Ambient Weather's network as well having Meteobridge do the same to a separate AW network account as it is good to have when troubleshooting issues. 

I am sure at this point you are saying, W   H   A   T?  Digging into the world of personal weather stations can be a bit intimidating but there are lots of us that have taken the trip and survived.  FYI. I current report to 8 different weather networks from my MeteoBridge.

So the real question is just how deep did you want to go down that rabbit hole?

In case I misunderstood and all you wanted was WHICH version of ObserverIP software and Station type.  I am running the most current 4.3.1 software on the ObserverIP with the station type set to WS-1600-IP

David
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 08:15:07 AM by dtidmore »

Offline Rhoos

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 10:34:15 AM »
Thank you very much for your prompt response "dtidmore" I present my station in SJ, Costa Rica https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=ISANJOSB2 if you look at the name par in " About this PWS "you will see
 in the features that I am a Meteobridge user; and some time ago also from Meteohub.
The Osprey I have it in a farm (rural area of ​​Costa Rica) and the Internet signal is not very good, use to transmit data a Mikrotik Router (RB951G) with a data card as a 3G modem to get Internet service.
Reading your articles in this forum, I learn that the problems with your previous weather station by lightning; in my case the problem that I had with the "IP1400" is in the external temperature meter I stop working well, it is a cold and humid area where it works, the equipment is regularly filled with micro algae and I guess this will damage it. I tried to repair it without success, I contacted Ambient Weather to get a replacement and to my surprise your answer is to buy a new complete unit; It is for this reason that I decided to replace it with an Osprey.
Thank you,
Richard

Offline Rhoos

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2017, 11:31:11 PM »
Thanks for your help, now my observerIP is sending data to WU and Ambient Weather!  :grin: :grin: :grin:

Richard !

Offline theslydog

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2018, 06:45:10 AM »
A few more days of experience with the Osprey unit (WS-2902), so more info! 

A slight problem did arise with the ObserverIP v4.2 software regarding the indoor sensor

We dropped back to v4.1.8 (v4.1.9 was a disaster full of bugs BTW) and the problem vanished so I am testing a version of 4.2 with the RF code from 4.1.8 at the moment and all seems well.  Don't know when it will be released, but should anyone else be attempting my setup (WS-2902 with ObserverIP set to WS-1600-IP) be aware.

Does the WS-2902 station transmitter send data to both the ObserverIP and the color monitor at the same time? Ie can you run both together?

Offline Rhoos

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2018, 10:44:56 AM »
Yes, the station can send data to the console and to the "ObserverIP" at the same time, only the latter use it to send data to "Wheather Undergraund and Ambient Wheather". The console to the WheatherCloud network !!!

Offline andyk1

• Contributor
    • Nicoma Park Weather
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2018, 10:58:32 AM »
I see no one's replied to you in 4 months. Yes the WS-2902 Outdoor unit sends out it's signal to it's own console and a device like the ObserverIP also picks up a signal from the outdoor unit not the console if it is configured correctly which is not hard to set up. When you get an ObserverIP update the firmware and select ws-1600 as the unit you want to receive from. The ObserverIP also sends it's signal to a meteobride and does not get a signal from the indoor console. I have no idea why in this day and age but that's how it works. You need to do a lot of reading if you really want to go that route. Not difficult but does take knowledge of how routers are set up and how to send to the other good weather collecting sites around the world.

I almost forgot to mention you can turn off the consoles WiFi if you go the ObserverIP route.

Offline ndcube

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2018, 07:59:56 PM »
I see no one's replied to you in 4 months. Yes the WS-2902 Outdoor unit sends out it's signal to it's own console and a device like the ObserverIP also picks up a signal from the outdoor unit not the console if it is configured correctly which is not hard to set up. When you get an ObserverIP update the firmware and select ws-1600 as the unit you want to receive from. The ObserverIP also sends it's signal to a meteobride and does not get a signal from the indoor console. I have no idea why in this day and age but that's how it works. You need to do a lot of reading if you really want to go that route. Not difficult but does take knowledge of how routers are set up and how to send to the other good weather collecting sites around the world.

I almost forgot to mention you can turn off the consoles WiFi if you go the ObserverIP route.

Is there a separate indoor unit that is compatible with the WS-1600 setting on the ObserverIP?    I'm currently working on a setup like this and it would be nice to have indoor temperature in my DB.

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
Davis VP2 6163 | WiFi Logger
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline ndcube

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2018, 09:52:40 PM »
@ndcube, This is what I have. It talks directly to the OIP and console.

https://www.amazon.com/Ambient-Weather-WS-1000-BTH-Replacement-Thermo-Hygrometer-Barometer/dp/B01599XBSY/ref=pd_sim_201_5?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01599XBSY&pd_rd_r=JN7ZY0FCBS9CS7WERJNC&pd_rd_w=aoVMr&pd_rd_wg=8ungH&psc=1&refRID=JN7ZY0FCBS9CS7WERJNC

Thanks, I was just looking at that.  Will it talk to OIP regardless of what the station model is set too?  I will have it set to 1600

Offline andyk1

• Contributor
    • Nicoma Park Weather
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2018, 10:54:21 PM »
Yes you can only use one of those (WS-1000-BTH) at a time with the ObserverIP.

Andy

A demo of what I am doing with a WS-2902 https://www.nicomaparkweather.com
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 11:01:02 PM by andyk1 »

Offline ndcube

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2018, 12:00:16 AM »
Thanks.  ...and nice page.  Thanks for sharing.

Offline andyk1

• Contributor
    • Nicoma Park Weather
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2018, 12:30:36 AM »
I see they keep raising the price on that indoor ws-1000 mine was $14.99 or so when I got it and the ws-2902 was $120. Still a good deal for a really accurate  weather station.

Offline ndcube

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2018, 01:11:59 AM »
Yeah.  I spent more than I wanted with the OIP and indoor unit to to satisfy my programming hobby.

It looks like you can buy just the array for the 2902 for $70 as a replacement part kit and the rest of the cost is for the console which is $90.  I just got the whole package in case the wife and kids want to look at the console.

anything