Author Topic: VP2 ISS battery life, voltages, and changing  (Read 5757 times)

Offline archae86

• Senior Contributor
    • LynxStoll weather
VP2 ISS battery life, voltages, and changing
« on: October 29, 2014, 12:17:32 PM »
I imagine folks come by here from time to time wondering what to worry about on their ISS battery, how to change, and how to interpret battery voltage readings.

So I thought I'd try to start a collective contribution thread with a little non-negative personal experience.

My Davis wireless VP2 went active about May 15, 2011, with the Davis-supplied Duracell Ultra 123 battery bearing a July 2010 manufacturing date and a March 2020 expiry date.  I added solar and UV sensors in January, 2012.

I live in Albuquerque, NM, with famously strong sunlight (high altitude--6200 feet at my home, low dirt in the air, low cloud cover fraction, pretty low haze, south of much of the US, and way south of the northern Europe).  While winter can get cold (zero F occasionally) temperatures below 20F are somewhat unusual. 

In sum, this location and my installation are probably about as kind to VP2 ISS battery life as likely to be found.

Today, with no adverse indication regarding the ISS battery than the passage of almost 3.5 years of service, and the approach of winter, I changed the ISS battery.  The original Duracell after removal read 3.080 V on a good meter.  My Varta replacement read something between 3.25 and 3.3.

I think it might help others for people to post here with battery life experience in cases NOT involving bad supercaps and otherwise defective equipment, with perhaps some indication of the sun conditions on their ISS.  Also some help on "how low is low" for observed battery voltage.

My guess is that my 3.080 V Duracell had many months of remaining service life under my conditions.  On a quick search I've been unable to find a reference on the typical open-circuit voltage vs. remaining battery capacity for this type of cell.

Lastly, regarding change technique.  I relied on the Davis manual instructions for opening the SIM box cover (lightly lift the white tab marked "lift" on the bottom of the cover to free the cover to move, then slide it up until free).  The battery was in plain view at the top of the opened SIM box, and was rather awkward to remove by hand (I'd want a pry tool next time).  While others have advised to put the console in standby to guard against bad data--e.g. from induced rain gauge tips, I just popped the old battery out and the new battery in without reception precautions.

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Re: VP2 ISS battery life, voltages, and changing
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 10:09:06 AM »
I set up my VP2 in July 2008.  A year or so later I bought a Duracell Ultra Photo 2-pack CR123and I put one in as a replacement in the VP2 (because I thought I should).  Now 8 winters later I think I should replace the battery again.  The package with the one unused CR123 in it is marked Best Before MAR 2019 (the battery itself has 2020 on it) and in my very simple battery tester it shows fully charged.  Should I buy a new package for a replacement battery or use the original 2009 one? 

I think I've gotten pretty good life out of the current battery.  We do get a fair amount of sun in the summer but a lot less in the winter.  The attached is the 2016 monthly daytime and the amount of sunshine hours recorded with my B-L sunrecorder so overall just under 50% daytime sunshine.

Enjoy,
Paul
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 10:11:20 AM by PaulMy »

Offline azchrisf

• Cobra Weather Dominator Operator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 12:01:40 PM »
Paul,
What's the program your using?
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus 6163 w/ 8 Transmitters!
Also doing Soil and Leaf 4x
WU: KAZGLEND106 CWOP: FW1398 (F1398) Purpleair: 98793/LAZGLEND8
My setup:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=41867.0

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 12:19:46 PM »
Paul,

http://www.sunrecorder.net/sun-recorder-2-0/  I wish I had one of those B-L devices.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline zackdog

• Forecaster
    • Winter Park Highlands Web cams
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 12:27:50 PM »
Yesterday I noticed the message indicating low battery voltage on ISS #4.  Without thinking, I went to my ISS and pulled the battery and inserted a new one.  I dropped the old battery in the 4" of snow on the ground.  Went inside and the message was still there.  I looked closer and noticed I was receiving from ISS #2.  I had forgotten that ISS #4 was my wireless temperature station. ](*,) ](*,)  I changed the battery in it and this morning the message was gone.

I checked the voltage on the low battery from ISS #4 and it was 2.85 volts.  This morning most of the snow had melted and I was able to find the battery I removed from ISS #2 and checked the voltage on it at 3.03 volts.  It appears that ISS #2 battery still had plenty of life left.  I now have two new batteries in both ISS that I wrote the date on.  In the future I will know the life of each battery.

Mark
"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows." - Dylan

Vantage Pro2 Plus w/ 24 hr FARS and (2) VantageVues

VP2 uploading via Vue console to CWOP, WU, PWS, and Weathercloud.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 01:53:56 PM »
Mines still the original at 10+ years, being in Tucson doesn't hurt. I'll be servicing the ISS very shortly to replace some parts that have finally worn out, I'll be checking the voltage then, it's been a while, but WL says it's fine, anny too! =D>

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 02:15:23 PM »
I think my first 123A lasted 5+ years - until the GD supercap went south.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 02:16:02 PM »
I wish I had one of those B-L devices
Ole will gladly set you up with one...

Paul,
As Bushman said and linked, I have the B-L Sunrecorder.   Unfortunately not many users yet.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 02:33:55 PM »
Wow.  I replace my batteries every autumn.  I have my ISS on the ground and remote wind anemometer station on the roof.  I don't want to have to go up on an icy roof in the winter should it fail.  So I just buy a 2 pack and do them both every autumn.  Give everything a once over to make sure no creepy crawlies have made a nest or anything.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline azchrisf

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2017, 03:14:31 PM »
If you need to replace the supercap, I'd replace it with a 50 farad one, gives longer runtime. Just a tidbit

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

My setup:

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2017, 10:12:39 PM »

Paul,
As Bushman said and linked, I have the B-L Sunrecorder.   Unfortunately not many users yet.

Enjoy,
Paul

Not to get off-topic but, what is the cost of the B-L Sunrecorder? They don't mention any pricing on the website...
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2017, 10:55:25 PM »
Don, I can't recall exactly and don't want to give wrong amount.  They did have a special sale price listed earlier in the summer.  You can send a request on their site and Ole Larsen will gladly respond.

Enjoy,
Paul
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 11:02:27 PM by PaulMy »

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2017, 12:42:25 AM »
Don, I can't recall exactly and don't want to give wrong amount.  They did have a special sale price listed earlier in the summer.  You can send a request on their site and Ole Larsen will gladly respond.

Enjoy,
Paul

Price inquiry has been sent. thanks...
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2017, 07:43:59 AM »

Paul,

Enjoy,
Paul

Not to get off-topic but, what is the cost of the B-L Sunrecorder? They don't mention any pricing on the website...

160 EUR

Offline azchrisf

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2017, 10:00:14 AM »
That's actually not too bad - about $180. I would have two questions though - does it work with a Davis system (IIRC a company in the UK makes one, but requires its own power supply - hard to do when your UV/Solar sensors are up on the roof LOL), and does it require a seperate power supply.
My setup:

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2017, 11:23:37 AM »

Apparently Ole has not yet been able to sign up for WXForum.  As this is getting off topic I will reply here - http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=11824.new#new

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2017, 01:55:00 PM »
... I now have two new batteries in both ISS that I wrote the date on.  In the future I will know the life of each battery.

This is a good idea that I've been doing for years. I stick a label inside the door (this happens to be a no-solar-panel temperature station) every time I change the battery.

In looking at this, I realized that I should also add the battery manufacturer. That would make the data more useful. My gut tells me that Panasonics have the shortest life, compared to Duracells, and maybe  Energizers.

The dates on this station go back farther, but I started out by sticking the labels on the top, and covering the last one up with the newest one.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2017, 06:15:00 PM »
Just overhauled the ISS, batt at 2.9 volts. Not bad after ten years! =D>

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2017, 09:30:31 PM »
The key to battery changes should be based on time and not voltage as generally a battery will leak well before the voltage is flagged.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2017, 10:08:01 PM »
The key to battery changes should be based on time and not voltage as generally a battery will leak well before the voltage is flagged.
Oh? What time would that be? This battery is leaking nothing. In my experience, as long as the battery doesn't sit ever not used in a device, it never leaks.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2017, 01:56:46 AM »
Oh? What time would that be? This battery is leaking nothing. In my experience, as long as the battery doesn't sit ever not used in a device, it never leaks.

If you have changed enough Console/Envoy internal battery contacts due to leaking batteries in running devices you would understand where I am coming from and why, another reason to have developed a system so as to never require backup batteries (as such) to ever be installed in a Console or Envoy. There is no such thing as a AA or C or D or 123 that can be guaranteed never to leak, simply not possible so guaranteed counter measures are required especially in remote setups. . 

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2019, 04:32:31 PM »

I have scheduled a general maintenance/cleaning of my VP2 ISS for this coming weekend. I have read all the responses to this original topic, but being a worrisome sort I wonder if I should go ahead an replace the ISS battery? The station has been operational for 16 months. I would not want to have to do it in January.

Opinion wanted. Thank you.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2019, 04:45:51 PM »
I think the battery should last a few years. I started writing on them with markers to show when i replaced it and logging it electronically.

If  you are doing maintenance now and don't plan on it for a while-do it now. my opinion

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2019, 07:32:28 PM »
Also, two things "kill" batteries: HEAT and COLD.  Heat causes internal electrolytic to expand and dry-out while cold causes it to contract and solidify / freeze.

Perfect for a weather station.  ;)

Offline klschmidt

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2019, 11:37:36 AM »

If you have changed enough Console/Envoy internal battery contacts due to leaking batteries in running devices you would understand where I am coming from and why, another reason to have developed a system so as to never require backup batteries (as such) to ever be installed in a Console or Envoy. There is no such thing as a AA or C or D or 123 that can be guaranteed never to leak, simply not possible so guaranteed counter measures are required especially in remote setups. .
Has anyone here had a lithium battery leak? I use Surefire 123A batteries (not only in Davis) and have never had a problem. Alkaline batteries are a whole different story.
In answer to the original question: Mine was approaching the low voltage limit after about eight years (no low battery warning yet).

anything