Author Topic: Imagesalsa - CPU Usage  (Read 9201 times)

Offline lmolson

Imagesalsa - CPU Usage
« on: January 30, 2012, 01:49:28 AM »
Looking for feed back on what others see for CPU usage with Imagesalsa.  When I have 1 camera running the CPU usage is minimal 2% once I add the second camera it goes to 50%.  Is this typical?  Any feedback is appreciated.

Lance

Offline kray1000

• Purveyor of wry
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.roanokevalleyweather.com
Re: Imagesalsa - CPU Usage
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 04:08:59 AM »
Looking for feed back on what others see for CPU usage with Imagesalsa.  When I have 1 camera running the CPU usage is minimal 2% once I add the second camera it goes to 50%.  Is this typical?  Any feedback is appreciated.

Lance

I would say not normal.  I'm guessing you are running a dual-core processor and your second camera is a USB.  There may be a conflict on your system.

Some of the camera drivers out there aren't very good.  Aside from checking for updated drivers, you might try using a different (or dedicated) computer for your ImageSalsa and cameras, or using different software besides ImageSalsa, or trying a different camera or type of camera.

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
    • Southern Maryland Weather
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 08:10:28 AM »
Lance,
  I have two PRo 9000 running through IS along with many other apps on my Wx computer. IS takes up the most CPU generally speaking. I have both of my frame rates set to 1 frame/sec. The lower you can go on frames/sec, the less IS will use (CPU -wise). If you are using motion detection in IS then the CPU utilization really shoots up. Check those settings out first. If this doesn't fix things then do like kray1000 said.

Jim

Offline lmolson

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 11:11:40 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.  Can't add the second computer since the system is really remote and runs on solar.  I have 2 Logitech orbit cams and one other Logitech stationary camera.  They are all USB cameras and I recently added a USB connected Davis Vantage Vue.  I wonder if the cameras are now conflicting with the weatherlink data collector.  I will try to go serial on the weather station and see if that changes anything.  I do run motion detection on all 3 cameras and have left the fps to whatever was defaulted   (3 maybe?)  I will try some of these tips next time I am back at the cabin.  Thanks again.

Lance

Offline Davidb

• Contributor
    • Glasson Sailing Club
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 05:24:55 PM »
Hi,

did you solve your cpu usage problem?   Mine has never been as low as 50 %, I have been running 2 usb cams + 1 cam using a pinnacle dazzle grabber but the computer coped OK.

Yesterday I swapped one of the usb cams for another dazzle and things started going wrong. Jason told me a couple of years ago that he had run 3 dazzles on one machine. I wonder where I am going wrong?

I shall put the frame rate down to 1 per sec and check there is no motion detection going on  for a start.

David

Offline Ozziefirebee

• Western Australia - Sou West corner
  • Life is simple - eat, sleep, fly
    • Margaret River Aeromodelling -Weather
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 12:32:53 AM »
My old computer runs at near 80% to 100% all the time with IS
Only have IS and VWS on board.
Windows XP 2002 SP3 AMD sempron 3000+ 1.83ghz 2 gb ram

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
    • Southern Maryland Weather
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 09:54:32 AM »
Wow,    :shock: no way should your CPU be running that high.....Again check frames/sec and motino detection.... IS on my machine runs about 8% with 2 Logitecvh Pro 9000 cameras, no motion at 1 frame/sec.

Jim

Offline Ozziefirebee

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 08:41:56 PM »
I agree - but not sure what is making it so high. I admit that I am a bit naive on some of IS and VWS settings but will attempt some changes, no motion detect running. Wish there was a more detailed manual for IS and MS - Cheers

Offline Davidb

• Contributor
    • Glasson Sailing Club
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 02:47:45 AM »
Hi,

we still have high cpu usage with multiple usb webcams.

Would I be right thinking that if I used an IP cameras through Image Salsa instead, the cpu usage would be reasonable?

Does anyone else use more than one pinnacle dazzle on an oldish computer?

David

Offline Ozziefirebee

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 09:01:13 PM »
Found my high CPU usage was VWS, now down to 55% - I had set up a new weather station (WMR200) and reinstalled VWS and everything went up on display fine, but had not rechecked settings, found high data save rates and refresh rates with VWS. Not until I set up IS did high CPU appear, so mistakenly assumed it was that. IS seems not to consume much CPU process. Cheers

Offline Davidb

• Contributor
    • Glasson Sailing Club
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 02:14:12 AM »
Ozziefirebee,

How did you reduce vws's cpu usage?   Did you just move the 3 position slider in programme settings  to low?

David

Offline Ozziefirebee

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 08:46:05 PM »
Yes, flicked cpu resources down to low, but also found some data logging running that I was not using, or were updating every few seconds or minutes eg csv files, globe, etc. I'm still getting cpu usage wrong ! I now see VWS using 5% or less, with IS using up to 50% but I am doing time lapse etc, one Logitech Quickcam webcam. Cheers

Offline Davidb

• Contributor
    • Glasson Sailing Club
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 03:25:29 AM »
"found some data logging running that I was not using, or were updating every few seconds or minutes eg csv files, globe, etc."

Hello Again,

how do you check the data logging?

I have jpegs updating every 1 minute,  files ftp'ing every 10 mins ( dosn't make a big difference on ftp usage when I watch them together)

Also I don't use weatherflash.  Is it something to do with wunderground perhaps?

David

Offline weatheroz

• Senior Contributor
    • http://www.jimboombaweather.com
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2014, 07:04:41 PM »
I've been using IS for years, and also I run it with Weather Display quite okay.

I use a Spectra 8 card for camera capture, but the drivers only work under XP, so I've had to put it on another box with XP on it, which I use for my amateur radio stuff.

CPU wise, with 3 cameras running it does hover around 20 - 30 % most of the time, and sometimes it jumps to over 50% cpu.

I'm currently inbetween homes, sold the last, waiting to get new one built, so have no cameras running so I put IS back on to the Win7 box that my station is running on (disabled the canvases that were camera ones), and uses very little cpu.

Glad to see there's still a support section available for the ImageSalsa group.
Brendan,
vk4blp
IRLP 6857 Echolink 672767

anything