Author Topic: HVAC-Watch this Space -  (Read 2303 times)

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
HVAC-Watch this Space -
« on: February 23, 2018, 01:07:25 PM »
Been living with steadily changing EM environment since 2013 with both Red and Blue systems... Now have to replace HVAC, and
 #-o dreading any possible negative effects on my alread junky nvifonment... sigh.. in 2013 it was almost pristine, and I could run 4000 miles easily... now I've been reduced to <1200...

Of course, there could be an improvement but I rather doubt it, since the Old system caused no known issues with BT... sort of hoping some of my 'unlocated' noise might be related to the old HVAC main wiring, which will be replaced also... just hope all the new 'hawrdware' doesn't take me back to step one of 'mitigating' junk...
...So ... watch this space.  ... oh, send money if you want,  :-({|= PM me for details... :-"

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
Re: HVAC-Watch this Space -
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 01:31:10 PM »
Cutty, I feel your $ pain. Replaced TWO units (4 and 3 1/2 ton) a month ago. The company I went with gave me a really good deal. They replaced every thing upstairs, plenum to plenum. Even raised the outside units 6" higher to prevent grass, splatter etc. to be sucked into the unit.

They where going to install a variable speed unit, but when I mentioned the lightning detector, they said yes it could cause problems. We then decided to go with the "standard" blowers. Which is cheaper of course.

This new units are 13' from the H and 9' from the E and I have not seen any problems.

They even gave me the two blower motors when I asked. Used one to build an air filter system for the garage (woodshop).  :-)

Dries

« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 01:33:56 PM by dupreezd »
Davis VP2 6163 | WiFi Logger
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 03:32:45 PM »
We also discussed / negotiated with Blitzortung in mind, and will also use a single speed... however the speed will be set up for 'best' flow, at install using a controller... that's "standard' for these units... so we'll see if any 'leak' reflects through mains, or.... whatever. We'll begin 'eval' on that during install... and see if any 'mediation' or mod needed during the process, if possible.... especially since all new electrical will be connected. That blower motor control would probably the source of any 'noise' if any is produced.
The outside unit will install roughly where present is, which is about 30 feet diagonal below the E field probes... a

The company is operated by a long time friend, and we laughed a bit at all these folks installing the electric utility 'demand conservation' electric control boxes... two/three of which cause me intermittent interference in the neighborhood... he said when they do an install and those are in place they remove them and "tell the owner to call the utility come pick them up"... since they want to control the HVAC at the times the owner would be desiring the HVAC to operate!   And with the lower demand with newer systems they were just a PITA for the owner's comfort... (I'd already, couple of years ago, told my utility to quit nagging me about installing one.)  ... now if I could just get rid of a handful of so-called 'smart meters' in the neighborhood that folks have allowed to be installed.... arrrggh...

Yep, HVAC blowers make GREAT shop or even home filter drives... I did that yeas ago in the basement of an older home where I did a lot of wood work... using the motor from a furnace... still have the blower assy somewhere up in the attic... even used an HVAC filter with it to trap the dust... wash and replace...

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 08:46:48 PM »
Cutty, Today I finished my AC filter and tested it. I used a Delta EMI/RFI filter which I mounted in a power strip to power the BO, ObserverIP and Meteobridge. I waited till the street lights came on, turned on all the lights and the AC.
This is my current noise floor. I get a 50mV spike when I flick the pantry florescent (2 tubes) on and off.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

I can email you the build pictures if you are interested.
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 11:38:12 PM »
hmmm.... yet my J field noise is EMI near field from neighbors junk. the idiots that installed 'smart utility' meters a couple of failing vapor lamps down the block, and other environmental junk, like one production line at the axle factory over the hill... received by loops... ???????  Some E spikes on E probes erratically...no biggy, and mostly due to the E preamp being an 'early release' version 60/120Hz artifacts.

Yep, always interested in stuff if you want to send it...

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 05:12:54 PM »
Yep, always interested in stuff if you want to send it...

Sent you a PM.

Dries
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline dfroula

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2018, 08:12:48 AM »
Been living with steadily changing EM environment since 2013 with both Red and Blue systems... Now have to replace HVAC, and
 #-o dreading any possible negative effects on my alread junky nvifonment... sigh.. in 2013 it was almost pristine, and I could run 4000 miles easily... now I've been reduced to <1200...

Of course, there could be an improvement but I rather doubt it, since the Old system caused no known issues with BT... sort of hoping some of my 'unlocated' noise might be related to the old HVAC main wiring, which will be replaced also... just hope all the new 'hawrdware' doesn't take me back to step one of 'mitigating' junk...
...So ... watch this space.  ... oh, send money if you want,  :-({|= PM me for details... :-"

I retrofitted a GE variable speed blower motor to a conventional updraft gas furnace a few years back. It’s performance in the system was great, but the switching power supply caused spikes in the power line that played havoc with the Red unit. GE sent me a large choke (looked like a transformer) with two leads that wired in series with the hot lead to the blower. This cleaned up the switching noise completely.

Don

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2018, 08:27:35 AM »
Oh... never did update this, did I???
Absolutely NO issues with the new HVAC... Zilch. No noise. No junk.

You can still send money, however.