Author Topic: WeatherLink loggers, USB or Serial?  (Read 4709 times)

Offline Ugly Duckling

• Senior Contributor
  • __Darlin' Jill__
    • Maplewood - Omaha, NE
WeatherLink loggers, USB or Serial?
« on: June 16, 2011, 02:42:38 PM »
I started a new post because this is important not only to myself but to other's who are about to buy a Davis Weather Station. The question is should we select USB or Serial WeatherLink loggers? I heard some say serial is the only way to go because USB is unreliable. Other's say serial is a thing of the past. Someone said new computers don't even have serial ports. It would be very helpful to know what most people are using, serial or USB? Is there problems with either? What do you guys recommend, USB or Serial?

Thanks again,

Marci Anna

Davis Vantage Vue

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: WeatherLink loggers, USB or Serial?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 03:25:37 PM »
You're seeking an answer that doesn't really exist.

The fact of the matter is that 90-95% of users of USB loggers experience no problems. But it's an inescapable fact that USB as a protocol is more sensitive to interference than is serial. So if you're unlucky enough to use the console/logger somewhere where either the mains AC supply is noisy or there may be significant through-air radio-frequency interference (RFI) then there's a finite chance that you may hit problems with the USB logger.

You'll be pretty unlucky if you do see problems with the USB logger, but some folk still do. If you want the maximum probability of robust operation then choose serial (or serial plus a good serial-to-USB adapter, which runs serial fairly close for robustness).

Edit: Sorry meant to add: There's another (minor) reason for preferring the serial logger. The USB logger can operate in two distinct modes and some new users get very confused between the two. It's actually not a big deal once you've understood what's happening and once a logger is operating in your preferred mode then it makes no difference to robustness. But some users might prefer serial on the basis that there's not even any scope for this issue to arise.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 03:58:37 PM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline JACK10562

• Forecaster
  • DW5051
    • DW5051 East Harwich MA
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 03:34:44 PM »
I have tried them all: Weatherlink IP and the plain old USB datalogger, and serial.

I can honestly say I have experienced the best overall results using the serial datalogger connected via a DB9(RS232) USB adapter, and it's what I'm sticking with.
CWOP:DW5051
MADIS ID:D5051
WU:KMAEASTH4
CoCoRaHS:MA-BA-23
DavisVantagePro2Plus#6163
Cumulus 1.9.4(1097)←☼

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 04:11:53 PM »
    I can only relate that I have the USB DL and have not had even one hiccough. I have been happy over the almost 2 years it has been in sevice.
    Mark

Offline Flag

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 06:26:18 PM »
In order of rank

Choice 1) Serial
Choice 2) Serial

Offline Ugly Duckling

• Senior Contributor
  • __Darlin' Jill__
    • Maplewood - Omaha, NE
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 09:17:21 AM »
I don't understand this, if you have a serial port along with a serial logger and it works why then add a USB adapter? Maybe you don't have a serial port but prefer serial loggers? After reading the advice I'm leaning in favor of a serial logger then should I switch computers, one that doesn't have a serial port I'll purchase a USB adapter, what do you think of that girls and boys?

Many Happy Weather Changes,

Marci Anna

Davis Vantage Vue

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 09:18:36 AM »
In order of rank

Choice 1) Serial
Choice 2) Serial

ditto

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 09:34:10 AM »
I don't understand this, if you have a serial port along with a serial logger and it works why then add a USB adapter? Maybe you don't have a serial port but prefer serial loggers? After reading the advice I'm leaning in favor of a serial logger then should I switch computers, one that doesn't have a serial port I'll purchase a USB adapter, what do you think of that girls and boys?

Marci Anna

Huh?
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline xykotik

• DonkeyTailWX DW6891
  • Forecaster
  • I'll deal with it tomorrow
    • DonkeyTail Weather
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 09:58:26 AM »
After reading the advice I'm leaning in favor of a serial logger then should I switch computers, one that doesn't have a serial port I'll purchase a USB adapter, what do you think of that girls and boys?

I am one of those outlyers johnd mentioned that had problems with the USB logger.  It's true that you are more likely to hear about the failures than the successes, and that is normal.  Why would it worth discussing if there are no problems?  But since it is a potential issue it is worth mentioning that I am a career electronics professional capable of dealing with the issues (with a little support from places like wxforum) but would choose to buy the serial version if I had the money to do it again, because it was a PITA getting the USB version to work, whatever the causes for the faults.  I managed, but I think about the other end of the spectrum of patience for technical problems and realize that someone like my father-in-law would never put up with it.  Since it is a simple and seemingly reliable solution to adapt a serial-to-USB, for that reason I would tell my FIL to go with the serial logger.  That's my personal preference based on my own experiences.  Your mileage may vary.

I also think that with the USB version, you need to emulate serial anyway to use non-Davis wx software to dump the logger, but I could be mistaken.  (Help me johnd)

Facit solem suum oriri super bonos et malos et pluit super iustos et iniustos.

Springtime in Seattle...  March comes in like a lion and out like a wet lion.

Offline neondesert

• Forecaster
    • http://www.neondesertweather.com
Larry
"But it's a DRY Heat!"

Offline moehoward4

• Forecaster
  • Jack in SE MA.
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2011, 10:16:32 AM »
I've used the USB version since 3/08 and NEVER had a problem, and sometimes switch between USB and serial(depending on what software I'm trying) and had the same results.....so it's a " pick em".
3 Davis set-ups...which one ya wanna talk about? And I got ALL my manuals....

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 10:18:45 AM »
After reading the advice I'm leaning in favor of a serial logger then should I switch computers, one that doesn't have a serial port I'll purchase a USB adapter,

Excellent leaning.

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2011, 12:32:40 PM »
After reading the advice I'm leaning in favor of a serial logger then should I switch computers, one that doesn't have a serial port I'll purchase a USB adapter,

Excellent leaning.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline Ugly Duckling

• Senior Contributor
  • __Darlin' Jill__
    • Maplewood - Omaha, NE
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2011, 08:36:09 AM »
"Good Post" sign is very fancy Jerry! Keep that stored and locked in your private vault? Possibly after I've been around the forum for many years I may be allowed such things. I'm hoping!

Marci Anna

Davis Vantage Vue

anything