Author Topic: Assign Static IP Address in weatherlink ip  (Read 4237 times)

Offline jalmz

• BiliranIsland.com
Assign Static IP Address in weatherlink ip
« on: October 04, 2016, 09:33:25 PM »
How to Assign Static IP Address in weatherlink ip? So that every time the weatherlink restarts, it will be assigned the same IP address.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: Assign Static IP Address in weatherlink ip
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 10:54:53 PM »
You need to go into your router and look for IP Address reservation.  The address to access it depends on the brand of hardware.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 06:35:52 AM »
Easiest way to find DHCP IP is with WeatherLink, Communication Port, select Local Device ID radio button and press Find. Use the displayed IP to open the logger web page and edit the appropriate values etc. One important point is to have a good management policy re static IP's otherwise you may not be able to access the logger if you make changes to or replace components of the network etc. 

Offline jalmz

• BiliranIsland.com
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 09:27:52 AM »
This one?

Offline pfletch101

• Forecaster
    • Personal Website
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2016, 11:03:20 AM »
In general, I think that it is best to leave the task of assigning network IP addresses to the main router and have all other devices on the network use DHCP to get their IP addresses from it. In order to ensure that individual non-computer hardware devices are always assigned to consistent IP addresses (which is generally desirable, for lots of reasons), you set up the router to recognize each one's unique MAC address and assign it a specified IP address. Almost all mid- to high-end domestic routers allow this, though they don't all put the facility in an obvious place on their admin menus.
Vantage Pro 2+ connected to Raspberry Pi running weewx by means of Meteo-Pi - data incorporated in domestic energy production (PV) and use monitoring system.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2016, 12:59:50 PM »
In general, I think that it is best to leave the task of assigning network IP addresses to the main router...

I'd echo this advice, as usual whenever this question comes up. Setting a fixed IP on the logger has risks and really isn't recommended unless there's no other alternative (eg in a commercial setting where there's a firm network policy that ALL devices must have a fixed IP).
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2016, 01:44:35 PM »
Except if you need to tunnel into a device.  Alll my RPis are on fixed IP for instance.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2016, 05:57:31 AM »
Except if you need to tunnel into a device.

Remote access you mean? Well I guess it depends how sticky your router/DHCP setup enables IP addresses to be.

But what's more in my mind about not using fixed IP addresses for WLIP is 'a little knowledge is a dangerous thing'. For anyone that's really on top of understanding how IP addresses work on a network and can work out what to do if a particular IP target stops working then the world is your lobster. (Sorry, Arthur Daley allusion that probably won't mean much to non-UK readers.)

Perhaps I should say: The default recommendation is not to use fixed IP addresses. But if you (really) know what you're doing around networks then this rule doesn't apply to you. (Though even here there's still a small problem - if you have a WLIP with a fixed IP address that appears to have gone faulty then there may be difficulties for the  the service agent, whether Davis or whoever, in trying to troubleshoot it. WLIP really needs a 'return to standard defaults' hardware switch, but I'm not even sure that's possible with the WLIP architecture.)

Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

anything