Author Topic: It's Time  (Read 18968 times)

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
    • Southern Maryland Weather
It's Time
« on: January 17, 2012, 11:19:08 AM »
Folks,
  I was just blessed with an $800 award check and I am now in the market for a Davis....

Below are the requirements I'd like to have met:

1) Wireless ( anemometer also)

2) Kept around $800... If I need to go over just a tad, that's fine.

3) Keep using VWS

4) Would like serial data logger.

5) FAN aspirated, not sure if my location would benefit from it. I am using a passive shield now.

I know all of you have purchased and worked with Dvis products in the past so I know you guys and gals can guide me toward the best solution possible.

I am so amped now knowhing that getting one of these great stations is now within my reach.

TIA,

Jim

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
Re: It's Time
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 11:48:32 AM »
Jim, that's cool about your equipment upgrade. 

I'm not clear about #1.  Did you want or need the anemometer separated much farther than the normal 40 ft cable length from the main ISS?  That option would add ~$135 to the total cost.

Really your requirements have fixed your choice to a package deal such as the one Rainmanweather sells for about $884 which includes a Vantage Pro2 Plus with 24-Hr Fan and a WeatherLink serial (your choice), 6163-D / 6510-D, or a cheaper Vantage Pro2 with 24-Hr Fan and WeatherLink, 6153-D / 6510-D, for about $618.

You can always add the solar and/or UV at a later date as the budget permits.  As you probably know a 24-hr FARS can't be added.

If you buy a FARS-less package such as a Vantage Pro2 Plus and serial WeatherLink, 6162-D / 6510-D, for about $740, a daytime FARS option can be added for an extra ~$107.

Stretching the budget and buying everything at once is ultimately much cheaper than buying piecemeal.
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 01:15:20 PM »
I know you'll enjoy whatever you end up with.  :)
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline JACK10562

• Forecaster
  • DW5051
    • DW5051 East Harwich MA
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 02:10:01 PM »
The anemometer is cabled to the ISS, but if you need it to, it can be made wireless for additional cost
For a non-plus station, adding solar / UV sensors after the fact is almost prohibitively expensive.
 In fact, the two sensors alone, purchased afterward totals WELL over $400! !!!

If you can get the 6163-D / 6510 D for $884, jump on it!!!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 07:14:05 PM by JACK10562 »
CWOP:DW5051
MADIS ID:D5051
WU:KMAEASTH4
CoCoRaHS:MA-BA-23
DavisVantagePro2Plus#6163
Cumulus 1.9.4(1097)←☼

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 02:43:36 PM »
Jim I can see that smile all the way down in here Florida. :grin:

The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline VaJim

• Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
  • Forecaster
    • Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 06:48:22 PM »
Folks,
  I was just blessed with an $800 award check and I am now in the market for a Davis....

...fine choice......but I thought you were looking for suggestions.   :lol:

Offline JACK10562

• Forecaster
  • DW5051
    • DW5051 East Harwich MA
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 07:20:00 PM »
The majority of readers here are more than willing to offer suggestions on the best ways for Jim to quickly part company with his newly-found fortunes, and then some!

So, here goes: my suggestion is just go and get the top-of-the-line Cadillac Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus!
And add on from there!
  8-)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 07:54:14 PM by JACK10562 »
CWOP:DW5051
MADIS ID:D5051
WU:KMAEASTH4
CoCoRaHS:MA-BA-23
DavisVantagePro2Plus#6163
Cumulus 1.9.4(1097)←☼

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 09:49:13 PM »
I guess some people didn't read my requirements.   :roll:  I have $800 to work with. I can go just a tad over, not a wad over..... :-P

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 07:43:53 AM »
Ah, just get what you want, not what you can afford. It worked for Europe.   

errr, on second thought, just spend the $800  :lol:

Andrew

I guess some people didn't read my requirements.   :roll:  I have $800 to work with. I can go just a tad over, not a wad over..... :-P

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 07:48:54 AM »
Ha! I think a lot of people thinks it works that way here in the states. I am so torn. I really don't know how much i need the UV and Solar add-ons.....

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 08:45:50 AM »
Solar is needed for the ET calculation, THSW index, and any solar heating calculations if you are interested in that.  UV measurements are direct.  There is no variable derived from the UV.
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 10:46:12 AM »
I too have mine fitted with the solar sensor and I personally find it more usefull than UV index. Evapotranspiration is the opposite of rain. With this you can get an idea of how much water is lost which is perfect for watering information. THSW index I find to me more accurate than heat index or wind chill. Or just knowing how much energy the sun is putting out.

I'd wait a while on the UV sensor. Davis is currently conducting some experiments on a newer UV sensor that's going to be cheaper. Not sure when Davis will finally it release but it would be better to wait and get the more recent model. Right now for the UV sensor expect to look at 315$. That will pretty much be pushing the 800$ ceiling
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline smorris

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Long Road Station
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 10:49:13 AM »
My two cents for your budget: prices are from Archer Trading Post http://www.archertradingpost.com/atp/

6153 Wireless Vantage Pro 2 w/24 hour FARS $516
6332 anemometer transmitter kit $129  (if I understood correctly that you want your anemometer wireless and separate from the rest of the station. If not, skip this.)
6510USB WeatherLink and USB datalogger $118

That's $763 plus probably $30 shipping to you.

If you don't get the 6332 wireless anemometer transmitter, instead get:

6450 Solar Radiation sensor $118
6673 Mounting shelf for Solar and UV sensor $21

This option is $773 plus shipping.

I opted for the first option, then added the solar sensor later. I didn't see a need for the UV sensor for me, but others might. Don;t forget to add a bit more for however you are going to mount the ISS and anemometer. Radio shack tripod and mast was about $40, and pipe for mounting the ISS in the garden was another $10 (See About link on my web site linked below in my sig.

I'm guessing that the hot, humid, stagnant air you commonly get in the summer (I lived in tidewater Virginia, so I know how "heavy" the air can get) you will want the 24 hour FARS.

Oh, by the way. If you don't plan on having your console near your computer, you will need to swap something else for the 6316 Wireless Weather Envoy $127 to get the signal from the ISS to your computer.

Hope that helps,
Steve
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 10:59:11 AM by smorris »
Steve - Avon, Ohio
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus w/FARS, Leaf & Soil Station

CWOP • WU • AWEKAS • CoCoRaHS • Skywarn • MWWN • UK Met • PWS • WeatherBug • TwitterFacebook

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 10:50:57 AM »
Jim,

What is your average daily wind run there. At your location, I don't think you need the 24 hour FARS. But, if you do need it, you can only buy it with the new unit. Here is a relevant British study http://smlweather.com/downloads/Prodata_VP2_Guide.pdf  .  Remember, installation is not free, need some of that money for poles, posts, brackets, etc. If you are going to remote your anemometer (good idea), that transmitter will bite your money.

People have been complaining about the "high cost" of the datalogger forever and recently an alternative has been designed and released. A 24 hour FARS is not available as an add on at any cost now, so hopefully, before too long, someone will offer that too ( just plug in your daytime FARS to a package containing some batterys, a charging system with solar panel in a weather-proof box and there it is - a lot of talk but no definitive action).

Sit back and think a little (or a lot) about this, you've already missed the new year so no hurry.

FWIW

George

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 11:00:56 AM »
Thanks guys.  Sounds like I will go with the 6153 with remote anemometer. No UV or solar at this time.

Everything is in place (tripod, pole in ground, etc) so installation cost willl be minimum to none.

Jim

Offline smorris

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Long Road Station
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2012, 11:03:06 AM »
While you were typing, I edited my post to include the info on the Envoy and about your probable need for 24 hour FARS. Keep that in mind if your console is not going to be near the computer.

Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus w/FARS, Leaf & Soil Station

CWOP • WU • AWEKAS • CoCoRaHS • Skywarn • MWWN • UK Met • PWS • WeatherBug • TwitterFacebook

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2012, 11:04:24 AM »
Jim
Are you going to take the 968 down or offline, or keep it going?

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2012, 11:05:17 AM »
Thanks guys.  Sounds like I will go with the 6153 with remote anemometer. No UV or solar at this time.

Everything is in place (tripod, pole in ground, etc) so installation cost willl be minimum to none.

Jim

I would have suggested adding the solar now, (sorry I did not) but the new lower cost solar unit should be available soon (I hope).  I will certainly be adding it ASAP after it comes out.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2012, 11:24:52 AM »
Jim

Andrew

Andrew, I'm going to take it down at some point. I am more curious about the deviation with teh Davis unit to see how far off the 968 is....

Jim

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2012, 11:45:31 AM »
Jim

Andrew

Andrew, I'm going to take it down at some point. I am more curious about the deviation with teh Davis unit to see how far off the 968 is....

Jim

I have a VP2, WMR968 and WS 2315 all uploading and can be seen on my page.  :)

Some things you'll think of when you compare:

1:  It's big!

2:  The rainfalll graduations are much smaller (0.01 in vs 0.04 in.)

3:  The update rate is much quicker.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 11:47:36 AM by Slow Modem »
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline svcrews

• Southeastern Kentucky Weather
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2012, 03:13:15 PM »

Don’t know if you have placed your order yet, but, my Vantage Pro2 Plus with 24-Hr Fan Aspirated Radiation Shield model 6163 is getting old, so I am replacing it.  I made up a list of things, and put them out for quote from 5 of the major Davis Instruments retailers. In doing so, I have saved $450.00 off MSRP on 5 items.

If you have not ordered yet, you might consider “quotes” as opposed to some who do price matches, it sure saved me a bundle. The vendor I went with, does “drop” shipping, at first I thought that was a bad thing, but it is being shipped from Davis Instruments, and I verified with Davis.

Good Luck on your new system.

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2012, 03:19:30 PM »
steve,
  that sounds great! I am not familiar with that route.... I am looking for a VP2+ with remote anemometer and serial data logger... IF I can get that with out going too far over 800 then I will.

Offline svcrews

• Southeastern Kentucky Weather
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2012, 05:03:29 PM »
steve,
  that sounds great! I am not familiar with that route.... I am looking for a VP2+ with remote anemometer and serial data logger... IF I can get that with out going too far over 800 then I will.
Jim, I have a wife that is so tight, she squeaks when she walks <GRIN>.  I have been working on this for about a week, after she said I could spend up to 800.00, my system works fine, but, I know it is getting time to replace somethings, so I priced the items out, and it came to about 700.00.  The model 6328 is the same as mine, minus the console which I don’t need.  I also wanted a few more gadgets, like a leaf monitor, soil probe, leaf/soil station, and a repeater.

Well I wrote wrote 5 major vendors, and ask them to quote it to me, some said price match only, so basically I took the least expensive, told the other 4 to give me a quote, it saved a bundle, shipping from Davis, was 29.00 for everything.

My point of the post knowing your watching the dollars, is that, quotes saved me a bunch of money, or at least I see it that way, and that is an idea for you if you want to say within your budget.  I went over the 800.00, but I told the wife I would put the old station on eBay or something, and hopefully get what I went over with.

Jim, it was an experience doing it this way, I really got a kick out of some of the messages.  A couple really downed the company I went with because they do “drop shipping”, heck I didn’t know what that meant. I asked, and they told me the manufacture would be the shipper, so I contacted Davis, they verified it, so no matter if it’s in a warehouse, or manufacture, Davis warranties it, and supports it. 
I.m happy because my wife thinks I made a good deal, so do I <GRIN>, I get some more gadgets.

If you want  to PM me, I wiil give you the names of the vendors, and who I bought from. 

Steve

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2012, 06:08:48 PM »
steve,
Just out of curiosity, are you leaning twards the serial version because of what you heard about the USB version?
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2012, 07:55:17 AM »
I am going the serial route partly because of that reason. Also, all of my USB ports are being used and my current 968 is using serial....

Jim

anything