Author Topic: Set up Meteobridge and also use pc?  (Read 6245 times)

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
  • Vantage Pro II, tripod mount, 30 feet elevation
Set up Meteobridge and also use pc?
« on: May 09, 2017, 12:47:54 PM »
My Davis station has been hooked up to my PC  since 2011. 
I never heard of Meteobridge till a few weeks ago.  But it makes sense and I would like to try it out.
However, I like the fact that my WL software, klunky as it obviously is, records historical data to my PC hard drive.  I would prefer to continue this.
However, I got the little TP-link router, and I would be fine with using that for WU, CWOP, and Cumulus, all of which I currently report to.
Is this all feasible, and what order do I try to set up this stuff in?  I don't want to lose my historical cumulus data.
Unfortunately, I personally find that many of the online descriptions are written by people who are more computer savvy than the average bear, if not outright programmers.  Which I am not.

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
    • My PWS at Leuven Belgium Europe
Re: Set up Meteobridge and also use pc?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 02:42:13 PM »
YES

The Meteobridge will use your USB logger to do all extra things you want

AND

will pass-through the logger to your WeatherLink program.

The only change you have to make in your PC-Weatherlink program is the setting for your Davis logger. Change it from USB to IP logger withe the IP-address of you Meteobridge with the port 22222

Then both the Meteobridge and your Weatherlink program can do what they need to do.

Wim

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 02:54:16 PM »
YES

AND

The only change you have to make in your PC-Weatherlink program is the setting for your Davis logger. Change it from USB to IP logger withe the IP-address of you Meteobridge with the port 22222

Then both the Meteobridge and your Weatherlink program can do what they need to do.

Wim

Cool, thanks, I wouldn't have known to do that.  It's hard to dig through for details and the instructions seem to be mostly for people who are starting from scratch and don't need to "undo" anything.

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 04:19:52 PM »
I am guessing it goes, console, data cable, meteobridge, to PC?
All the instructions assume the PC is left out, that being the beauty of it.

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 01:44:00 AM »
I am guessing it goes, console, data cable, meteobridge, to PC?
All the instructions assume the PC is left out, that being the beauty of it.
console with logger cable => USB port of Meteobridge => the Meteobridge is connected to your (Wireless) LAN

PC => to your (wireless) LAN as it is already connected now

The communication between Weatherlink program inside the PC and the logger goes through your LAN

Wim
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 01:46:14 AM by wvdkuil »

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 11:32:51 AM »
Well, no luck.

I followed the directions and connected TP link via ethernet to my PC.
Was able to sign in and pasted the Meteobridge link into the firmware uplink page.
TP showed it updated firmware.  But then when it rebooted, said unable to locate IP address.
The TP link showed as a wireless access point, then disappeared from the list.
Now I don't know how to communicate with it. 
I have updated firmware before but never to someplace the manufacturer didn't specify, so I have no idea.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 11:44:24 AM »
On my TP-Link MR3020 the selector switch is set to 3g/4g and NOT AP.  Not really sure what  you are doing here...  details?
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 02:43:26 PM »
On my TP-Link MR3020 the selector switch is set to 3g/4g and NOT AP.  Not really sure what  you are doing here...  details?
Ha, If I had been sure what I was doing, it would be running.  Perhaps I should have completely set up the router with factory instructions BEFORE proceeding to change the firmware.
The hardware starter instructions of Meteobridge said to use an ethernet cable for programming it.  But i did have the settings on "3G/4G".
As i said, the TP router accepted the firmware address and the progress bar showed it loaded to 100%.  Then it "reboots".  When it did that, it gave me an error page and said "site cannot be reached".
So now, I will try to use the "client list", when I can figure out how to get it to let me see the list.

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2017, 03:39:52 PM »
I remember I had similar issues when flashing mine, dont give up, it is sometimes behaving unexpectedly and is more like a trial/error method and usually after some trying one gets it working :D

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2017, 12:15:11 PM »
YES

AND

Wim

Is this accomplished in the Davis console menu, or on the Meteobridge menu?

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2017, 12:20:31 PM »
Also, in my VWS menu, there is a place to change from USB to IP.  Port 22222 already shows there.

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2017, 12:26:21 PM »
Do I need to select WLIP operation??

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2017, 01:06:29 PM »
I tried adding the IP and port 22222 on the weather station page, and it didn't work that way.
Just to experiment, I went back to just USB setting and it has started to send data to CWOP.

So I am not somehow quite getting the settings right.

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2017, 02:07:21 PM »
I tried adding the IP and port 22222 on the weather station page, and it didn't work that way.
Just to experiment, I went back to just USB setting and it has started to send data to CWOP.

So I am not somehow quite getting the settings right.
The Meteobridge should use your Davis logger as it is. So connect the Davis logger to the USB port and set that in the weatherstation Tab => Davis: Vantage Pro2, Vue => USB

Then you can use in another weather program the same logger, but now with the IP-address of the Meteobridge at port 22222

Davisconsole => USB logger => usb-port of Meteobridge

Weather-program on your PC =>  the Davis logger can be reached as an WL-IP logger at the address IP-Meteobridge:22222

Wim

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2017, 02:44:12 PM »
That is perfect! VWS is downloading data from my station!

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2017, 03:10:05 PM »
That is perfect! VWS is downloading data from my station!
=D> Have a lot of fun with it.
Wim

Offline jrodriguez6

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2018, 09:44:35 AM »
I can't get any Replies: I have an outdated Ambient Weather WS-2080, I will be updating it to a Davis Pro2, I already Purchased the TL-MR3020 and connected it my WS2080 by RJ45. Weather Underground is getting updated and so are everything on the Internet. But I cannot get Cumulus to update. I have tried the settings on my Cumulus Station Screen to TCP/IP and 22222 but nothing happens excepts " Fine Station not Found! - check connection and restart Cumulus."  I want to know before I pay for the MeteoBridge. Thanks Joe

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2018, 09:50:39 AM »
I can't get any Replies: I have an outdated Ambient Weather WS-2080, I will be updating it to a Davis Pro2, I already Purchased the TL-MR3020 and connected it my WS2080 by RJ45. Weather Underground is getting updated and so are everything on the Internet. But I cannot get Cumulus to update. I have tried the settings on my Cumulus Station Screen to TCP/IP and 22222 but nothing happens excepts " Fine Station not Found! - check connection and restart Cumulus."  I want to know before I pay for the MeteoBridge. Thanks Joe
You need a Davis weather-station to use the extra pass-through facility.
Any other station will not work.

Wim

Offline jrodriguez6

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2018, 10:25:05 AM »
Thanks for the Reply. I want to verify - I will be getting Belfryboy Clone USB logger, Davis Vantage Pro2, I have installed a TL-MR3020 and I just went to Wifi.
I want to update Weatherlink and Cumulus. I will be able to do that with My TL-MR3020 and MeteoBridge Software???

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2018, 10:36:18 AM »
Thanks for the Reply. I want to verify - I will be getting Belfryboy Clone USB logger, Davis Vantage Pro2, I have installed a TL-MR3020 and I just went to Wifi.
I want to update Weatherlink and Cumulus. I will be able to do that with My TL-MR3020 and MeteoBridge Software???
The logger is OK, the station is OK, MB on your 3020 should be OK, Wifi is not needed but OK cables are always better  IMHO.

With the Davis console+BF logger connected to the MB, it will do all kind of updating websites a.s.o..

You can use 1 (one) weather-program at the same time by connecting either Cumulus or Weatherlink to the MB-ip-adress:22222.

MB is in pass-thru mode only listens to the traffic between the PC-weather-program and the logger, it will not interfere or acces the logger in any way.  It can do all calculations/uploads as it see the data pass-thru its device.

As a Davis (or clone) logger only supports 1 connection there is no possibility in your PC  to have two PC-weather-programs at the same time.

Wim

Offline jrodriguez6

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2018, 10:40:36 AM »
Wim

Thanks for the Reply. I do understand I can only run One (1) Weather Program Cumulus or Weather Link. That is Fine. I just want to have my weather Data Stored for future use. Thanks

Joe

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2018, 01:28:56 PM »
If you want to store data, the MB box can populate a SQL database.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline jrodriguez6

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2018, 02:42:21 PM »
I've seen SQL Databases and it looks Like you have to have a dictated Server. I have a Pretty Good PC with 2 TB of Empty Data Storage. But, It looks like I have to Write Script or have an SQL Program. I have Access, and Excel but I don't think that will work.
Thanks for the Reply

I wish I could do the Fancy Stuff

Joe

Offline bchwdlks

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2018, 05:11:33 PM »
Wim

Thanks for the Reply. I do understand I can only run One (1) Weather Program Cumulus or Weather Link. That is Fine. I just want to have my weather Data Stored for future use. Thanks

Joe

Joe,
Get a Raspberry Pi and setup a MySQL database. It is effective and it certainly is not 'Fancy Stuff'. There are dozens of step by step tutorials on setting up Apache Web Servers & MySQL on the Raspberry Pi. The Meteotemplate application will even build the SQL database for you & the Meteobridge populates it for you.

While Meteobridge is saving your weather data into the database, you can also run any of the PC weather programs that you want.
 Over the few years that I have had a weather station I have tested/experimented with Cumulus, CumulusMX, Meteotemplate, Weather Link, HOMEWEATHER and a few others. All during these Meteobridge has continued to save my data to MySQL.

Offline jrodriguez6

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2018, 07:19:02 PM »
Wim

I was looking at the Raspberry Pi and its a nice mini computer. I just can't see spending all this money just to do what I'm doing now with my Ambient Weather WS 2080 and Cumulus. All I wanted a to Have a Personal Weather Station, be able to see and work (build graphs and Tables), and Update Weather Sites like Cumulus and Weather Underground, and 3 or 4 others. I'm told if I get the Davis Pro2, the  Belfryboy Clone USB logger, and MeteoBridge with software I will be able to use Cumulus on my PC and Update the other Stations and have the data saved on my Pc from Cumulus.
I'm a 67 year old retired USAF SMSgt and I don't think I can get the Raspberry Pi and MeteoBridge working with this Ambient WS2080.
Thanks for all your Advice. I wish I could get an Idea how the Raspberry and MeteoBridge will communicate with my PC???

Thanks

Have A Great Day

Joe