Author Topic: What do you think...  (Read 12476 times)

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
What do you think...
« on: May 15, 2007, 12:26:03 PM »
I am thinking of adding a Boltek with NexStorm to our weather station. Just curious if it is a providing good information to your website viewers and such like that. Let me know what you think of it. Thanks.

Offline capeweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.capeweather.com
Re: What do you think...
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 03:04:36 PM »
I'm 100% satisfied with mine. Highly recommend it.  :D

Chris
Cape Coral, Florida

Offline talbert1952

• Contributor
    • http://tobaccovilleweather.com
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 03:27:58 PM »
Boltek lightning detectors and the associated software are a tinker's dream. Things to consider are physical location of the site, surrounding terrain and mounting location. All these things can greatly affect performance.

I have two Stormtracker systems and run both Nexstorm and Lightning/2000. The lightning detection and analysis engine in Lightning/2000 is significantly better than Nexstorm's. Nexstorm's web features are a bit better but not by much. Nexstorm has Strikestar. L2K doesn't have an equivalent. Personally I prefer L2K.

If you just want to plot strikes on a map for web visitors I suggest you get GRLevel3 and the Allison House data feed that has US Precision Lightning Network included. I run this setup and it works quite well. Typically there is around a minute lag between the stroke and the display on GRLevel3. You can download a 30 day demo of GRLevel3 at http://www.grlevelx.com/.
Tom
W4SNA
IRLP 4069 - Echolink W4SNA-R

http://tobaccovilleweather.com/
Hardware: Davis 6153 wireless VP2 with 24 hr fan aspirated radiation shield, WMR968, Boltek Stormtracker PCI,
  Hamtronics R139, stacked Woodhouse 6X6 beams on Yaesu G-5500 az/el rotator
Software: Weatherlink, VWS, Image Salsa, Lightning/2000, GRLevel3 with Allison House data feed, WxtoImg

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 09:01:21 PM »
I highly recommend the Boltek/Nexstorm combo. I tried both software packages and Nexstorm stood shoulders above L2K in my opinion. The next major release of Nexstorm is going to be amazing, bar none. :)

Bob
www.theamericanflagstore.com - The American Flag Store

www.nhweatherdata.com - NH Weather Data

Offline capeweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 10:12:06 PM »
Quote from: "racenet"
I highly recommend the Boltek/Nexstorm combo. I tried both software packages and Nexstorm stood shoulders above L2K in my opinion. The next major release of Nexstorm is going to be amazing, bar none. :)

Bob

Any idea when it will be released? I haven't checked on the forums lately.

Chris
Cape Coral, Florida

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 11:00:39 PM »
2.0 is being worked on quite heavy. It is still a ways off though. Its release will go hand in hand with many other neat features/functions. That's about all I can say on it.

Bob

Offline talbert1952

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 05:37:21 AM »

Bob

Have you actually run them side by side looking at the same storms? When it comes to ranging accuracy and repeatability L2K V3.5 and V4 beats Nexstorm every time.
Tom
W4SNA

Hardware: Davis 6153 wireless VP2 with 24 hr fan aspirated radiation shield, WMR968, Boltek Stormtracker PCI,
Software: Weatherlink, VWS, Image Salsa, Lightning/2000, GRLevel3 with Allison House data feed, WxtoImg

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2007, 11:03:21 AM »
Quote from: "talbert1952"

Have you actually run them side by side looking at the same storms? When it comes to ranging accuracy and repeatability L2K V3.5 and V4 beats Nexstorm every time.

Not side by side. Wish I was rich enough to be able to have 2 stormtrackers to run side by side. Lucky you. But I did enough testing to know that NexStorm was the better software package for me. Did not like L2K one bit. Didn't like the interface, didn't like the looks, didn't like the web functions and didn't like the support (or lack there of). Of course, your mileage may vary.

Bob

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2007, 05:33:29 PM »

Not side by side. Wish I was rich enough to be able to have 2 stormtrackers to run side by side. Lucky you. But I did enough testing to know that NexStorm was the better software package for me. Did not like L2K one bit. Didn't like the interface, didn't like the looks, didn't like the web functions and didn't like the support (or lack there of). Of course, your mileage may vary.

Bob

I'm with Bob on just about every point. I ran L2k for a while because it was the only thing out that was better than the stock Boltek program. As soon as I found out about NexStorm, I downloaded the trial and ran it with my hardware (something you can't do with L2K) and purchased it.

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2007, 07:43:46 PM »
Quote from: "SLOweather"

I downloaded the trial and ran it with my hardware (something you can't do with L2K) and purchased it.

Yeah, forgot about that one. Didn't like that either.  :wink:

Offline capeweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2007, 08:19:26 PM »
Nexstorm/StormVue definitely dominates. Not only is it a great program that I feel is extremely accurate but also comes with great support. Relko has always responded to any questions I have had in the past within just a few hours. I don't think the guy ever sleeps.  :lol:

Chris
Cape Coral, Florida

Offline talbert1952

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2007, 08:51:28 PM »

Bob

I'm with Bob on just about every point. I ran L2k for a while because it was the only thing out that was better than the stock Boltek program. As soon as I found out about NexStorm, I downloaded the trial and ran it with my hardware (something you can't do with L2K) and purchased it.

I don't know either of your histories with Nexstorm or L2K or what criteria determined your decisions at the time.

However, I do know mine. I have been using L2K for over a year along side Nexstorm. Through some fairly extensive observations I have found that L2K outperforms Nexstorm in ranging, reflection rejection, noise processing and ease of calibration.

The core function of both programs is to detect and classify lightning. The better the core works the better the functions wrapped around the core work. My experiences tell me the core functions of L2K work better than Nexstorm's therefore the outputs generated by L2K are of higher technical quality. L2K might not be as "pretty" as Nexstorm but "pretty" doesn't detect lightning.

I experience frequent significant ranging anomalies with Nexstorm. I was told by Astrogenic it must be something in my setup or location. This problem occurs regardless of which of my Boltek systems I am using. That eliminates the Boltek hardware and computers. I guess there must be something funny about my location that Nexstorm doesn't like. L2K does not exhibit this behavior.

I have problems with reflections caused by nearby mountains. Nexstorm plots all of these ghosts and even tracks non existent storms. L2K does a good job of detecting and suppressing most of the reflections.

I have found support for both products to be quite good. I have always gotten prompt, courteous replies from Aninoquisi support when I had questions. Except for the unresolved issues mentioned above, Astrogenic support has been good as well. Hopefully my problems will be fixed with the next version of Nexstorm.

I agree that L2K should have a fully functional demo.

Neither program is perfect. They both have their good and bad points. It is my opinion that if you want "pretty" buy Nexstorm. If you want a technically superior product get Lightning/2000.
Tom
W4SNA

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2007, 12:06:06 AM »
Quote from: "talbert1952"

Bob

I don't know either of your histories with Nexstorm or L2K or what criteria determined your decisions at the time.

However, I do know mine. I have been using L2K for over a year along side Nexstorm. Through some fairly extensive observations I have found that L2K outperforms Nexstorm in ranging, reflection rejection, noise processing and ease of calibration.

The core function of both programs is to detect and classify lightning. The better the core works the better the functions wrapped around the core work. My experiences tell me the core functions of L2K work better than Nexstorm's therefore the outputs generated by L2K are of higher technical quality. L2K might not be as "pretty" as Nexstorm but "pretty" doesn't detect lightning.

I experience frequent significant ranging anomalies with Nexstorm. I was told by Astrogenic it must be something in my setup or location. This problem occurs regardless of which of my Boltek systems I am using. That eliminates the Boltek hardware and computers. I guess there must be something funny about my location that Nexstorm doesn't like. L2K does not exhibit this behavior.

I have problems with reflections caused by nearby mountains. Nexstorm plots all of these ghosts and even tracks non existent storms. L2K does a good job of detecting and suppressing most of the reflections.

I have found support for both products to be quite good. I have always gotten prompt, courteous replies from Aninoquisi support when I had questions. Except for the unresolved issues mentioned above, Astrogenic support has been good as well. Hopefully my problems will be fixed with the next version of Nexstorm.

I agree that L2K should have a fully functional demo.

Neither program is perfect. They both have their good and bad points. It is my opinion that if you want "pretty" buy Nexstorm. If you want a technically superior product get Lightning/2000.

By all means Tom, I'm glad you like your L2K software. That's the important thing. I, however, do not like it and will not use it. To each their own. This is not a debate over who's is better then who's. Getting into that goes no where fast. Everyone has their own opinion. I have been running NexStorm since 2004 and find it very accurate and easy to use. Of course, your mileage may vary. Use whatever software package works best for you.

Bob

Offline talbert1952

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2007, 10:25:03 AM »

By all means Tom, I'm glad you like your L2K software. That's the important thing. I, however, do not like it and will not use it. To each their own. This is not a debate over who's is better then who's. Getting into that goes no where fast. Everyone has their own opinion. I have been running NexStorm since 2004 and find it very accurate and easy to use. Of course, your mileage may vary. Use whatever software package works best for you.

Bob

Bob, this isn't a software bashing exercise. We have a forum member getting ready to spend $500+ for a Boltek Stormtracker and software. Shouldn't the other members using the Stormtracker provide as much information as possible so this person can make an informed decision about their investment?

Another thing to consider is that the StormTracker card is based on PCI bus which is rapidly being replaced by PCI Express. Obsolescence is a real possibility. Just ask anyone that has a StormTracker ISA card.

Garthbock, if you are into the technology of lightning detection and enjoy tinkering by all means get a Boltek StormTracker and the software package of your choice. If you aren't interested in the technology and don't want/need the features of a StormTracker system definitely consider GRLevel3 and USPLN from Allison House. You can get GRLevel3 and nearly 4 years of data feed from Allison House for the basically same price as a StormTracker and software.
Tom
W4SNA

Offline katlon

• LONNIE'S WEATHER STATION
  • Contributor
  • GO HEELS!!!
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2007, 02:06:20 PM »
Garthbock, if you are into the technology of lightning detection and enjoy tinkering by all means get a Boltek StormTracker and the software package of your choice. If you aren't interested in the technology and don't want/need the features of a StormTracker system definitely consider GRLevel3 and USPLN from Allison House. You can get GRLevel3 and nearly 4 years of data feed from Allison House for the basically same price as a StormTracker and software.

I used the Boltek PCI card for about 2 years with limited success. Everytime I thought I had it figured out it would throw me a curve. Backed up against the mountains here in SC doesn't help matters much. I've started using the USPLN furnished by Allisonhouse.com and really don't think it is worth going back to the Boltek. I do have both ST2000 and Nexstorm and thought the Nexstorm more pleasing to the eye for web page browsing but a GR3 background with USPLN looks pretty darn impressive.

Lonnie

Offline N9IVQ

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2007, 01:43:35 AM »
Do you want to sell them?     :-)

I used the Boltek PCI card for about 2 years with limited success. Everytime I thought I had it figured out it would throw me a curve. Backed up against the mountains here in SC doesn't help matters much. I've started using the USPLN furnished by Allisonhouse.com and really don't think it is worth going back to the Boltek. I do have both ST2000 and Nexstorm and thought the Nexstorm more pleasing to the eye for web page browsing but a GR3 background with USPLN looks pretty darn impressive.

Lonnie
[/quote]

Offline katlon

• Contributor
  • GO HEELS!!!
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2007, 08:36:19 AM »
I haven't given any thought to selling them but I guess I could entertain the idea. PM me and we will try and work out something. The Nexstorm software is licensed so I know it can't be sold but the pci card and the detector itself can. I remember the original cat5 cord that came with the detector was defective and I just used one I had and it worked fine. Everything is probably no more than 2 years old but probably only used them for 6 months total before switching over to USPLN.

Lonnie

Offline jmcmurry

• Jim McMurry
  • Forecaster
  • Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless.
    • Juneau County Weather
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2007, 09:08:49 AM »
The Nexstorm software is licensed so I know it can't be sold but the pci card and the detector itself can.

I've read elsewhere that the Nexstorm license can be transferred with the right coordination.  Perhaps contact Relko and check on the details?  I'm happy with my setup though and will keep mine.

- Jim

Forum Search and Google Can be Your Best Friends