Author Topic: Can my old Vantage Pro2 firmware even be updated now?  (Read 2190 times)

Offline JoggingGuy

Can my old Vantage Pro2 firmware even be updated now?
« on: December 03, 2018, 12:38:20 AM »
Hi all -

I have the old Vantage Pro2 cabled console (6152C) manufactured in 2004 with 05/13/2005 firmware. I think it uses the old updater hardware to do the update. Is this or the firmware files even available anymore? The system has been working fine even after all these years  :shock: , but I had to take it offline and remove the ISS because I needed a new roof after hurricane Harvey. It would be nice to update the firmware so the DST change happens correctly if possible before I put the station back into operation.

Thanks.

JoggingGuy
Davis Vantage Pro 2 installed and running 12/27/05. Weatherlink web page no longer active.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
Re: Can my old Vantage Pro2 firmware even be updated now?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 12:53:25 AM »
Yes it can, Yes it would require the original physical hard box firmware updater, once brought up to the date to a point where direct from PC updates can be applied then old updater box no longer required.

Now finding an old physical updater may be the difficult part?   

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 10:26:36 AM »
https://www.davisinstruments.com/product/vantage-pro2-updater/  I have to believe that someone has figured out a direct connection using the pinouts, too.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 03:05:19 PM »
https://www.davisinstruments.com/product/vantage-pro2-updater/  I have to believe that someone has figured out a direct connection using the pinouts, too.

Direct connection firmware and uploader firmware are different, don't think the pinouts are an issue as opposed to the bootstrap required to load the direct connection

Offline blacklistedcard

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 08:25:17 PM »
I wonder if an Arduino could substitute the original hardware box?   Or some USB serial device?

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 03:33:03 AM »
I wonder if an Arduino could substitute the original hardware box?   Or some USB serial device?

I'm sure all sorts of approaches are theoretically possible but is it really a very good use of anyone's development time for the minimal number of users who are still stuck with the original firmware (and who are bothered about it at all), especially when loan of the official updater eg from Davis still looks to be an option?
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline bladel

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2018, 12:10:15 PM »
It is possible to update older VP2 without Bootloader (pre FW 1.9) to FW 1.9 with an Atmel AVR programmer.

I did the same thing with my VP2 Cabled FW Nov. 2004.

Steps are:
-Install Atmel Studio 7
-Connect the Atmel AVR programmer to your station board (Pinout see: Building a Davis Vantage Pro 2 Updater - 6311VP2) i used an atmel ice 3, but a cheap USBASP AVR should also work.
-Select "Device programming" via toolbar and "erase chip" to get rid of protection fuses
-Readout eeprom, just to keep it safe, some calibartion settings for your station are stored here, but should not be erased after an update
-Flash the new software "Flash19.bin"
This should also include the bootloader, so you can update to 3.8.

Firmware Files:
Google Drive

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2018, 04:08:06 PM »
Hot dang!  Pretty cool.  POTM.  :)
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline JoggingGuy

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2018, 09:00:48 AM »
FYI - This is the response from Davis support :

We no longer have the Firmware Updater available.  You would need to send your console in to us to be repaired.  The cost of that repair is $70.00, plus shipping.
Davis Vantage Pro 2 installed and running 12/27/05. Weatherlink web page no longer active.