Author Topic: Eco-Celli Barometer  (Read 2014 times)

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Eco-Celli Barometer
« on: March 16, 2019, 09:21:19 AM »
A recent thread about mercury barometers got me thinking about the one that I used to have.

Since even thinking about mercury will get you a swarm of HazMat guys coming out these days, I found this non-mercury barometer called Eco-Celli.

I got it for my birthday, the wife bought it from https://www.barometersusa.com/.

It was a bit of a project to calibrate. You basically siphon out the red fluid until you get the reading correct. This is kind of a "one way deal" so I was careful not to take out too much.

Assembly of the tubes to the base wasn't difficult. I did have to get the columns rejoined on the the thermometer. The heating method seemed to work better than the somewhat disconcerting "drop" method in the instructions. There were no gaps in the barometer.

The only strange thing is "up is down" with increasing pressure readings being in the downward direction. That threw me for a loop during calibration and I was misreading it.

Here is a link to barometersusa photo of it:

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
Re: Eco-Celli Barometer
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 02:51:10 PM »
The $2,995 price for that 'made in Belgium' hospital-grade barometer is rather steep.

Indeed it is. I am not sure what the point of it is, because it is basically still an aneroid barometer with a fluid column indicator. A weird hybrid.

Greg H.

Offline Jim_S

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 04:10:57 PM »
Very cool, thanks for sharing. When you calibrated it did you calibrate to station pressure or adjusted (sea level pressure or altimeter pressure)?

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 05:34:20 PM »
The $2,995 price for that 'made in Belgium' hospital-grade barometer is rather steep.

Indeed it is. I am not sure what the point of it is, because it is basically still an aneroid barometer with a fluid column indicator. A weird hybrid.

Greg H.
My kid is working in a hospital where they have such things:  apparently, everything from positive pressure ventilation to cancer therapy (!) depend on precise barometric pressure.  Which is why that $3K baro is made-to-order for your elevation.  I doubt they have an Acurite in the OR.  :)
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 08:27:02 AM »
Very cool, thanks for sharing. When you calibrated it did you calibrate to station pressure or adjusted (sea level pressure or altimeter pressure)?

I set it to the local airport altimeter setting. The airport is 0.7 miles away from my location. (1.1km) I can pick up their VHF AWOS on 118.125 MHz which is updated every minute.

I am still a little low, which ironically requires more red fluid removal. I am keeping spreadsheet with an average of several barometers including my ASI DBX1. I have to be careful to not remove too much since I don't have replacement fluid.

Greg H.