Author Topic: Chimney Mounted Stations  (Read 47320 times)

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
Re: Chimney Mounted Stations
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2009, 05:06:32 PM »
Installing the anemometer above the chimney stack seems a good stable place to put it, but isn't someone concerned about smoke deposits getting into it and causing problems?

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline Wx4U

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2009, 10:45:16 PM »
I'm new on the forum. Just received my Davis 6152 last week. The best location for the anemometer is on the chimney. An extension of the cable will be required. I intend to run the attached cable down the chimney and along under the eve to it's end.
Then, mount a regular outdoor, waterproof electrical box (w/cover). There, I'll connect the extension (inside the waterproof box).
If need arises to disconnect, just lift the lid and unplug. This has worked for a GFIC plug I installedon a post to run pump in the yard.
Wx4U
Bob
Retired USAF Air Traffic Controller, Davis VP2 Wireless, WLS 5.8.2, LaCrosse 2308, Logitech Pro 9000 (Roof mounted on rotor), CoCoRaSh gauge, KTXARLIN35, Compaq Presario W/Vista

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2009, 11:20:17 PM »
Welcome to the forum Wx4U!  Sounds like a good installation you have planned out. Be sure you block any air leaks you make running cables in the waterproof box to minimize oxidation of the connection.  :grin:

Dan

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2009, 01:33:13 AM »
Bob another option that may even bring everything closer and eliminate any cable extension would be an end gable/eave mount like this. The mast would have to be longer obviously.
Dan

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2009, 07:37:47 AM »
I think Bob meant "my anemometer" when he said "the anemometer"  ....  Perhaps his property and roof are not conducive to placing it anywhere else (trees, no gable, doesnt want holes in shingles).... but then again I am ass u me'ing his intent.

Andrew

The best location for the anemometer is on the chimney.
Wx4U
Bob
Bob, according to the CWOP Weather Station Siting, Performance.....
Anyway, hope you enjoy your new Davis! Welcome aboard!  :-)
Bruce

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline Wx4U

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2009, 09:46:42 PM »
Thanks for your coments. To achieve a height of 13 ft above my house and those surrounding houses, I have three choices:
1. Install about a 50 ft metal pole with guy wires in the back yard.
2. Use the Davis tripod on the roof.
3. Mount a pole on stand-offs on the chimney.
I think the chimney mount is best. The chimney is the enclosed type. I have to replace the wood on it about every five years.
Yes, Bruce, I'm aware of the CWOP Guideline. I have a good friend that managed NOAA CWOP in the Central Region, and the Nebraska state program. As a matter of fact I still have a copper rain guage in the orginal shipping box, a present from him.
So, I'm still inclined to mount on to the chimney.
Not to change the subject, but I noticed some are using the small 8.9 inch screen computers to put their station online. Well, they maybe good for that, but I' sure having a heck of a time trying to type this on one.
bob
Retired USAF Air Traffic Controller, Davis VP2 Wireless, WLS 5.8.2, LaCrosse 2308, Logitech Pro 9000 (Roof mounted on rotor), CoCoRaSh gauge, KTXARLIN35, Compaq Presario W/Vista

Offline Wx4U

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2009, 09:58:31 PM »
You are correct Andrew. Please excuse me? My wife says I'm an old codger since I turned 75 today, and that i like expensive toys.
bob

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2009, 10:23:20 PM »
I debated chimney vs tripod.  Wanted chimney to get up a little higher, and I did not really want to put holes in my roof.  But for me the chimney was a little tricky.  Would of had to hire someone, little too high for my liking.  Glad I went with tripod since I have had to go up there a few times for maintenance.

Andrew

You are correct Andrew. Please excuse me? My wife says I'm an old codger since I turned 75 today, and that i like expensive toys.
bob

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2009, 05:23:21 AM »
bob

That's great!  I hope you had a wonderful day!
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline LIWeather

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2009, 09:59:24 PM »
2. Use the Davis tripod on the roof.

Just so you know, you don't necessarily have to use Davis's tripod. You can use any just as long as your mast will fit. I used the chimney as I had the best access to it. It's working well and I have a little extra support and elevation by using it. I don't need any guy wires with my 10' mast as I would have if I used a tripod. I used a Radio Shack chimney mount with the metal straps and a 10' mast from the same place. I was a little shocked to see that the mast wobbles a bit in the higher winds. It will have to be as I don't plan on touching again til I move.

Be sure to post some pics with whatever you decide. I for one am interested to see what it looks like after you've made your decision.

Offline weatherman

• facebook
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2009, 01:37:10 AM »
The best location for the anemometer is on the chimney.
Wx4U
Bob

Bob, according to the CWOP Weather Station Siting, Performance, and Data Quality Guide, Version 1.0, March 8, 2005, the best siting of an anemometer is 33 ft above ground level (AGL) or 13 ft above the apex (peak) of the roof. That doesn't necessarily translate to the chimney being a good anemometer siting location. Whether or not the fireplace is used, a chimney is not designed to support additional attached structures. Most professionally-trained home inspectors will negatively note any structures such as a antennas or weather masts that are attached to chimneys. Part of the problem with chimneys is that they are notorious points of roof leakage, so they are best left alone as much as possible.

http://home.comcast.net/~dshelms/CWOP_Guide.pdf (See Table 8, p. 31)

Anyway, hope you enjoy your new Davis! Welcome aboard!  :-)

Bruce

Have a question about the the website where it talkes aobut where the best place is to put the wind gauge. I just bought a weather station & I live in Schertz in a HOA (Home Assion) Cant spell it. I cannot have anything higher then the roof but I want it on the Chimney. Here are some pics of the Chimney & House link: http://www.skywarnonline.com/forums/member.php?u=639
Take Care
Kevin

CoCoRaHS - KY-CH-4 Gracey, KY
Storm Spotter For Western KY

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2009, 02:15:56 AM »
Here's some places that talk about it, http://www.ambientweather.com/eaofin.html , http://www.carterlake.org/stationsetup.php

I guess your HOA answered your email requesting the code exception. Still cannot go higher than the roof peak?
Too bad you can't get the anemometer up in that big tree somehow. It's higher than the roof and it's allowed.  :-P
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 06:14:23 AM by DanS »

Offline sam2004gp

• Mount Crawford, Virginia
  • Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
    • Mount Crawford Weather, VA
« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2009, 07:46:05 AM »
I say wait six months until the HOA has forgot about it :twisted:, and then put the small mast on your chimney anyways.
SAM --->>> http://www.mountcrawfordweather.org
OS WMR-968 with a Dedicated PWS Weather Computer running VWS v13.01 p09

Offline weatherman

• facebook
« Reply #63 on: April 23, 2009, 01:38:22 PM »
Here's some places that talk about it, http://www.ambientweather.com/eaofin.html , http://www.carterlake.org/stationsetup.php

I guess your HOA answered your email requesting the code exception. Still cannot go higher than the roof peak?
Too bad you can't get the anemometer up in that big tree somehow. It's higher than the roof and it's allowed.  :-P

no they havent & I dont like waiting so I am just going to put it up anyways but got to get the stuff to mount it to the chimeny.
Take Care
Kevin

Offline weatherman

• facebook
« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2009, 11:32:43 PM »

no they havent & I dont like waiting so I am just going to put it up anyways but got to get the stuff to mount it to the chimeny.

well I am going to give him intil this Sunday to email me back if not I am going to put it up..

How far up does the system have to be??
Take Care
Kevin

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #65 on: April 27, 2009, 01:07:41 AM »
I've read that the anemometer should be at least 5 feet above the highest part of the roof to be effective. Should try to mount the temp/hygro sensor somewhere else to avoid heat radiating from the roof.

Offline LIWeather

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2009, 10:13:29 AM »
Just do your best to be clear of obstructions as well as any type of anomalies being created by the roof. Many sites recommend 33' above the ground but 33' may not beat the peak of your roof. I've read the same thing DanS recommends. I currently have mine approx 5' above the peak of the roof and things are working out great.

Try it out and I'm sure since you aren't of the patient type :lol: you can adjust it if necessary after comparing it to local data.

Offline weatherman

• facebook
« Reply #67 on: May 01, 2009, 02:18:15 PM »
I just went on top of the roof & I will need a pole 15-20Ft & thats from roof to top of chimney & plus 6ft more.  Do I have to attach it to the roof?? I just went back up there with my bro to help me & the Chimney is 1ft taller then the peak of the roof. So what he is thinking get a pole 8ft tall & mounted to the chimney.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 02:45:32 PM by weatherman »
Take Care
Kevin

Offline LIWeather

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #68 on: May 01, 2009, 03:44:01 PM »
You can certainly strap it to the chimney. There are many ways to accomplish this. Or, if its close enough to the peak, you can use a peak mount. You can also pick up the 10' mast that Radio Shack sells and that should get you at least 5' above the peak line.

Radio Shack sells these chimney mounts with straps and requires no mounting to the roof. There was a report or 2 from users about the Radio Shack strap set not being very strong. You may want to factor this into your set up.

Offline weatherman

• facebook
« Reply #69 on: May 01, 2009, 05:22:16 PM »
You can certainly strap it to the chimney. There are many ways to accomplish this. Or, if its close enough to the peak, you can use a peak mount. You can also pick up the 10' mast that Radio Shack sells and that should get you at least 5' above the peak line.

Radio Shack sells these chimney mounts with straps and requires no mounting to the roof. There was a report or 2 from users about the Radio Shack strap set not being very strong. You may want to factor this into your set up.

What will I need to mount it to the chimney?? Cause what I was going to do is go to lowes & buy a 8ft fence post that will fit my weather station & then buy the mounting stuff.
Take Care
Kevin

Offline LIWeather

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #70 on: May 01, 2009, 05:27:26 PM »
These are the 2 options i mentioned: http://www.radioshack.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=chimney%20mount&origkw=chimney%20mount&sr=1

There are many more options available to you. Not sure how much fence post is going for these days but if you find thats no good for your setup, RS has a 5' and 10' mast you could use. I am not sure you want to go very high being that you are risking getting into trouble by putting something up in the first place.

Like its been said previously, I think if you are 5' or so above the ridgeline, you should get good readings from your station.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #71 on: May 01, 2009, 06:33:44 PM »
The strap type of chimney mount should be strong enough if the anemometer is the only thing mounted and you place the two straps as far apart from each other as you can get.

Also be sure if the mast bottom rests on the roof that you place something under it (small piece of wood, etc.) to protect the roof.

Dan

Offline weatherman

• facebook
« Reply #72 on: May 01, 2009, 07:31:31 PM »
The strap type of chimney mount should be strong enough if the anemometer is the only thing mounted and you place the two straps as far apart from each other as you can get.

Also be sure if the mast bottom rests on the roof that you place something under it (small piece of wood, etc.) to protect the roof.

Dan

I cant connect it to the roof I dont think mom will let me.. Plus I am on a very tight budget cause have to other stuff fixed.  I range is no more then $50.
Take Care
Kevin

Offline LIWeather

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #73 on: May 01, 2009, 07:37:32 PM »
I think you are missing the point. Dan was saying to use the chimney mount (not fastened to the roof at all) and allow the bottom of the mast to sit close to the roof. If it happens to rest on the roof, use a piece of wood to protect the roof.

If you cannot mount anything to the roof, the chimney mount seems like the only viable option unless you erect a tall enough mast in your back or side yard with guy wires for support. If you go the radio shack route, the 10' mast and chimney mount add up to $50 plus tax so you are right there at your budget. You can use a non-radio shack mast but I wanted to show you an easy, one-stop option.

Offline weatherman

• facebook
« Reply #74 on: May 01, 2009, 07:39:14 PM »
I think you are missing the point. Dan was saying to use the chimney mount (not fastened to the roof at all) and allow the bottom of the mast to sit close to the roof. If it happens to rest on the roof, use a piece of wood to protect the roof.

If you cannot mount anything to the roof, the chimney mount seems like the only viable option unless you erect a tall enough mast in your back or side yard with guy wires for support. If you go the radio shack route, the 10' mast and chimney mount add up to $50 plus tax so you are right there at your budget. You can use a non-radio shack mast but I wanted to show you an easy, one-stop option.

Oh ok I got not even paying atten.  Thanks
Take Care
Kevin

anything