Author Topic: Chimney Mounted Stations  (Read 47304 times)

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: Chimney Mounted Stations
« Reply #100 on: May 16, 2009, 02:52:01 AM »
Well O.K. then, piece of cake (almost). I believe it was SLOweather a few posts back that suggested getting some angle stock ...

and cut sections to protect the corners. Cut them long enough to reach both top and bottom mounts. You can now assemble the bottom mount and position it on the chimney about 6 feet down from the top. Before you tighten the mount completely, slide in the aluminum angles at the corners. After installing the angles, tighten the mount the rest of the way. It will hold the angles in place now. Next you can assemble the top mount down low where it's easy to work on and slide it up in place when you're ready to tighten it up. I think the rest is self explanitory. Clear enough or am I leaving out anything. Sometimes I ass u me. :grin:
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 05:22:07 PM by DanS »

Offline Axelvold

• Forecaster
    • Axelvold's weather and photo
« Reply #101 on: May 16, 2009, 05:02:43 PM »
here are some other models on chimney mount.

Lars Magnusson
Axelvold / Sweden
55° 57' 41" N / 13° 6' 1" E
WX Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus

Offline weatherman

• facebook
« Reply #102 on: May 17, 2009, 01:38:45 AM »
here are some other models on chimney mount.

I already have the pole & the mounts but thanks for telling me & showing me theres more.
Take Care
Kevin

CoCoRaHS - KY-CH-4 Gracey, KY
Storm Spotter For Western KY

Offline weatherman

• facebook
« Reply #103 on: May 27, 2009, 10:05:34 PM »
Well O.K. then, piece of cake (almost). I believe it was SLOweather a few posts back that suggested getting some angle stock ...

and cut sections to protect the corners. Cut them long enough to reach both top and bottom mounts. You can now assemble the bottom mount and position it on the chimney about 6 feet down from the top. Before you tighten the mount completely, slide in the aluminum angles at the corners. After installing the angles, tighten the mount the rest of the way. It will hold the angles in place now. Next you can assemble the top mount down low where it's easy to work on and slide it up in place when you're ready to tighten it up. I think the rest is self explanitory. Clear enough or am I leaving out anything. Sometimes I ass u me. :grin:

Question about the Angle Stock I have found the cheapest one but is 1/16 by 6ft long heres the link: http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productList&Ne=4294967294&Ntt=Metal+angle&Ntk=i_products&Ns=p_product_price|0&N=4294961544&sortOp=lowToHigh I really cant go any longer cause I do not have a saw.
Take Care
Kevin

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #104 on: May 27, 2009, 10:28:54 PM »
6 feet is about what you need anyway, so the cutting isn't required. If I remember correctly (too lazy to go back and re-read the thread) you need to mount about 6 feet of mast to your chimney to be about 5 feet above the crest of the roof. So, one mount just below the chimney lip at the top and an angle under it with the other mount down at the bottom of the mast with the other end of the angle under it.  Four, 6 foot angles, one for each corner comes out right. :-) Also, if you can manage the $0.70 additional cost per angle it would be worth getting the 1/8" vs. the 1/16" thickness. 1/16" thickness might not be enough when you start tightening down the straps.

Dan

« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 10:45:22 PM by DanS »

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #105 on: May 27, 2009, 10:57:29 PM »
Question about the Angle Stock I have found the cheapest one but is 1/16 by 6ft long heres the link: http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productList&Ne=4294967294&Ntt=Metal+angle&Ntk=i_products&Ns=p_product_price|0&N=4294961544&sortOp=lowToHigh I really cant go any longer cause I do not have a saw.

A cheap hacksaw from Lowes is less than 8 bucks...

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=27732-355-15-285&lpage=none

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #106 on: May 27, 2009, 11:01:11 PM »
If he still gets the 1/16" stock he could probably cut it with a pair of scissors.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #107 on: May 27, 2009, 11:43:43 PM »

Lets see if this helps put things in perspective. I probably don't have the scale very close but you should get the idea. Hope this helps.

Offline weatherman

• facebook
« Reply #108 on: May 27, 2009, 11:52:44 PM »

Lets see if this helps put things in perspective. I probably don't have the scale very close but you should get the idea. Hope this helps.

Dnag your good it is very close. the drawing is what I am going to do. Thanks very much for the drawing.
Take Care
Kevin

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #109 on: June 23, 2009, 07:44:53 AM »
Kevin, just checking to see how the chimney project is going. It's been some time and haven't heard from you. Hope everything is o.k.  :-)

Dan

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #110 on: June 23, 2009, 08:33:32 AM »
Well he was online yesterday morning, so if he fell off the roof, his hands are still working...

Andrew

Kevin, just checking to see how the chimney project is going. It's been some time and haven't heard from you. Hope everything is o.k.  :-)

Dan

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline SOCALWX

• DW3849 NOAA
« Reply #111 on: November 28, 2009, 05:22:46 PM »
I am trying to install a 12' chimney strap (y bracket)--but when I tighten it, the strap keeps slipping--even when I tighten the bracket that holds the straps down--any suggestions so the strap doesn't slip? You can get a lot of torque on the nut, and I don't see how you can prevent the slip.  :-|

Offline Albuquerque Weather

• Senior Contributor
    • Albuquerque Amateur Weather
« Reply #112 on: November 28, 2009, 05:26:23 PM »
Try rubber strip - hobby shop - auto shop - hardware etc.
Can get plain or with double sided tape.

Ron
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 07:26:20 PM by ABQWX »

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #113 on: November 28, 2009, 07:23:30 PM »
I believe ABQWX has the right idea with placing a piece of rubber under the straps where they're slipping. Perhaps and old bicycle tube cut up?

Offline SOCALWX

• DW3849 NOAA
« Reply #114 on: November 28, 2009, 08:02:47 PM »
That is an excellent idea to use rubber---from a bicycle tube.  Will give that a shot.

Offline weatherman

• facebook
« Reply #115 on: December 13, 2009, 06:51:23 PM »
Hello everyone I know it has been a long time since I have posted on here just been very busy. I have not mounted my weather station up on the chimney I have deiced I wont cause I am moving back to KY by March. I dont have a chimney to mount it on here in KY so I do will things alittle differ.
Take Care
Kevin

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #116 on: December 13, 2009, 07:35:37 PM »
Welcome back stranger.  ;) I hope your change in plans still work out for you in KY.

Dan

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
  • In Loving Memory Of Hooker The Weather Dog !
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #117 on: December 13, 2009, 11:17:53 PM »
Ditto !  All the best in your relocation!

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member
SkyWarn & Spotter Network 6092

Offline weatherman

• facebook
« Reply #118 on: April 17, 2010, 01:41:31 AM »
man I keep forgetting about this site so I added it my favors. Well give everyone an update here I have decided to stay in Schertz, TX & I have mounted my weather station up & everything works well I didnt bother with the rain one caue dont need it. I wish I could put it in my room but it gets way to hott in there cause we have a 2 story house & only one outdoor ac unit & plus the only time I am upstairs is when I go to bed.
Take Care
Kevin

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #119 on: April 17, 2010, 07:31:23 PM »
Again, welcome back! Why don't you need your rain gauge? The rains will eventually come around someday, won't they?

Offline weatherman

• facebook
« Reply #120 on: April 18, 2010, 07:32:07 PM »
Again, welcome back! Why don't you need your rain gauge? The rains will eventually come around someday, won't they?

cant use it cause I am with Cocorahs.
Take Care
Kevin

anything