Author Topic: Ambient Weather WS-1400-IP installation  (Read 2649 times)

Offline boldblue737

Ambient Weather WS-1400-IP installation
« on: May 08, 2016, 06:19:57 PM »
I placed a new Ambient Weather WS-1400-IP on top of a 10'6" 1 3/8" diameter galvanized chain link fence top rail post that I had cut down to 9'3" and placed 2' in a 6.5" post hole I filled with Quikrete Fast Setting concrete. The station connects wirelessly to the Observer-IP box connected via ethernet cable to my home router and then transfers data every 5 seconds via Rapid Fire to Weather Underground. I purchased and created a Meteobridge which wirelessly connects to my home wi-fi and uses data from the Observer-IP box to then populate both PWSWeather.com and CWOP with my weather data. I have a Rachio Iro smart irrigation controller which links with my data on CWOP to use my rain, wind, temp, humidity, and solar data to help determine evaporation rate for my specific grasses, plants, dirt type, slopes, lighting conditions etc. and also looks at future forecast information for my location to determine how best to irrigate my landscape.

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KILPLAIN41
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 06:22:10 PM by boldblue737 »

Offline Yank61s

• Davis Weatherlink
Re: Ambient Weather WS-1400-IP installation
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 08:20:10 PM »
curious how long you have had your 1400 and how do you like it?

Offline boldblue737

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 09:20:54 PM »
I've had it for just over 3 months and the outdoor hardware itself has been flawless and super accurate in everything it records.

The wireless Observer-IP box inside my home did a great job updating Weather Underground but the Meteobridge connection to the Observer-IP would flake out every few days and start reporting odd data to all my services until I rebooted it. I troubleshooted it a bunch but ended up springing for Meteostick which is a USB stick that plugs into the Meteobridge and then the Meteobridge no longer needs the Observer-IP box, it can receive the signal directly from the outdoor hardware. This eliminated that problem.

With this setup it has been near perfect, although about once a month it will report a single (not repeated) odd data point (and remember it is sending data every 5 seconds) to my services OTHER than Weather Underground (perhaps Weather Underground automatically ignores a temperature of 1000 degrees or something, or perhaps the problem is with the other services like PWSWeather.com and CWOP) but on the very next update it is back to normal.

All in all I am very happy and it is very "hands off" at this point.

Offline Yank61s

• Davis Weatherlink
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 09:37:33 PM »
Good to hear I'm looking to buy another station. Looking at the 1001wifi. Can you give me your WU station ID. I would like to watch it
Thanks, Jason

Offline Yank61s

• Davis Weatherlink
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 09:43:19 PM »
I see your ID on the bottom of your original post (should have read closer)
Your uv reading has me curious

Offline boldblue737

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 12:40:22 PM »
UV works well, but Solar is fantastic and clearly shows the cloudy days vs. the partly cloudy, vs. sunny very well. That data is read by my Rachio Iro sprinkler controller and factors into the soil evaporation rate.

WU ID: KILPLAIN41

anything