Author Topic: AcuRite installation  (Read 3901 times)

Offline clashley1976

• My Wunderground station
AcuRite installation
« on: May 06, 2016, 08:02:44 PM »
Figured I would show off my AcuRite installation. It's not 100% of what I would like, but I'm reasonable pleased with it.

I've mounted the station to the top of a 10-foot length of 1-inch EMT conduit, which is attached to my backyard shed with 4-inch standoff tension mounts. The station sits about 7 feet above the roof of the shed and about 20 feet about grade. It's not completely in a clear area, as we have several very tall loblolly pine trees in the backyard, but it is the best available site on my property without resorting a roof-mount on the house itself (which neither I nor my wife wanted to do).

I added a couple of hitch pins to the mounting pole. The upper one is a permanent "servicing stop" that allows me to lower the pole for maintaining the sensor, while the lower one is a safety stop to minimize any vertical movement of the pole if the tension mounts loosen over time. It is also serves a good index to help make sure the sensor is compass-oriented.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
--Cameron Lashley
Albany, GA

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
Re: AcuRite installation
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 08:29:50 PM »
Be alert for "phantom rain" due to wind sway tipping the rain buckets.

Offline clashley1976

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 08:39:25 PM »
The biggest wind I've had so far is about 20 MPH, and that hasn't tripped the rain sensor, but I did already trip it when sliding the pole up and down. The pole does wobble a little in strong(ish) winds, but so far, so good. I thought about using gas/iron pipe for the mount instead to reduce the sway, but was concerned about overloading the tension mounts.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 08:41:21 PM by clashley1976 »
--Cameron Lashley
Albany, GA

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 04:26:30 PM »
Look at that Gordy station to your southeast! WOW! That mount has got to be wobbling. Also both stations in that direction are acurite and the fan is not running, since they are 100*F to your 89.

Offline clashley1976

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 05:55:44 PM »
Look at that Gordy station to your southeast! WOW! That mount has got to be wobbling. Also both stations in that direction are acurite and the fan is not running, since they are 100*F to your 89.

Yeah, that station always seems to report a few degrees higher. I keep an eye on it since it is reasonably close to me. That being said, the rainfall data it is reporting seems reasonable based on my personal observations. Maybe it is guyed. Hard to see from that pic.
--Cameron Lashley
Albany, GA

Offline sundevil01010101

• KAZSURPR41/54/57
  • Senior Contributor
  • Eye on the sky...
    • Surprise AZ Weather
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 09:41:32 PM »
Nice job! 

You can see my 5-in-1 Pro - KAZSURPR41 - in my forum pic :)

I have mine mounted on a ground tripod that I have my VP2 ISS on and it will sway a bit in the 20 above range.   Thought about adding guy wires but haven't yet, probably won't.

And it does sometimes have the extra tips, it will run 2-4 /100ths higher on it than my VP2 or Vue on the rare occassions we actually get any rain sigh.
Visit https://www.surpriseazweather.com/ !!!
Bucket List - 1,000,000 visitors  :twisted: Lol...

Offline LynnTom

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2016, 11:55:13 AM »
Are you worried about lightning? 

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2016, 03:27:08 PM »
If you put you wx station outdoors where it belongs and worry about lightning, you're in the wrong hobby. Just part of the deal. ;)

Offline josecmorales

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2016, 08:48:20 PM »
Great installation, like those "security system"
Vantage Pro2 + UV, Airlink, Purpleair, Meteobridge.
Twitter: ClimaGuayana
Blitzortung station: 2934
Weatherlink: ClimaGuayana

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2016, 08:22:36 AM »
If you put you wx station outdoors where it belongs and worry about lightning, you're in the wrong hobby. Just part of the deal. ;)

Since it is wireless, you have less of a risk of lightning following cabling into the house.

That said, it might be prudent to run a heavy ground wire from the mast to a ground rod below.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF